Author Topic: Team Building Q+A Thread  (Read 47062 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
Re: Team Building Q+A Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2011, 20:16 »
^I actually just got my 49 streak today with Togekiss/Blissey/Garchomp, and I would reccomend Blissey on every single Subway team ever. With Thunder Wave and Toxic, it can beat anything without a physical fighting type attack. It was truly a Goddess.

And Togekiss with the flinchax. Oh yes. <3

Now I need to think up a decent Doubles strategy, to get to the end there; probably go with Trick Room. ^^

Offline Pretty Awesome

• [citation needed]
  • Rex Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2011, 00:52 »
I figure this would be the right place to post this.

I need some help with my Emboar's moveset and held item. It's only level 54 at the moment but I can't really think of much better:

Emboar @ Charcoal
Flamethrower
Bulldoze
Head Smash
Will O Wisp

I'm unsure of whether to use Flamethrower or Heat Crash, but I have currently went with Flamethrower because Heat Crash is useless against heavier enemies. Bulldoze I use because it's the only Ground move in my party and because it can make up for Emboar's lack of speed. Head Smash is used because it is both Rock and powerful, although I'm not sure I want to keep that move. Will O Wisp is sort of self explanatory although it's mainly used for slowly damaging weak Pokemon that I want to catch. Charcoal is used because I don't really know what to give him, but seeing as he only has one attacking Fire move I think I could do better.

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2011, 12:20 »
I'm assuming this is for ingame, so Natures / EVs might not be so important. If you're using this against people over Wifi, I'd suggest looking into them to maximise its potential.

That aside, I'd go for a moveset of Flare Blitz / Wild Charge / Head Smash / Earthquake. You get lovely coverage, and they're all super strong attacks. The recoil is a bit of a nuisance, but you could arguably use it to your advantage; once your HP falls below 1/3rd, Flare Blitz will be incredibly powerful.

As for an item...Choice Band or Scarf might be a decent choice. I'd stay away from Life Orb, as you'll be dealing damage to yourself most turns anyway. Failing that, Expert Belt might be good, as you'll be hitting Super Effectively a lot of the time.

Offline Pretty Awesome

• [citation needed]
  • Rex Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2011, 14:22 »
I'm assuming this is for ingame, so Natures / EVs might not be so important. If you're using this against people over Wifi, I'd suggest looking into them to maximise its potential.

For the moment I'm focusing on ingame, but I plan to use Wifi at a later date. Since my Emboar is level 54 there isn't much point focusing on EVs, I could just breed one later and start fresh.

That aside, I'd go for a moveset of Flare Blitz / Wild Charge / Head Smash / Earthquake. You get lovely coverage, and they're all super strong attacks. The recoil is a bit of a nuisance, but you could arguably use it to your advantage; once your HP falls below 1/3rd, Flare Blitz will be incredibly powerful.

I wasn't aware that Emboar could learn Wild Charge, but I think I have a TM for it so I guess it's worth a try. With an attacking moveset like that I figure Earthquake would be a much better option then Bulldoze. Flare Blitz I'll still have to level up in order to learn so I'll stick with Flamethrower until Emboar can learn it.

As for an item...Choice Band or Scarf might be a decent choice. I'd stay away from Life Orb, as you'll be dealing damage to yourself most turns anyway. Failing that, Expert Belt might be good, as you'll be hitting Super Effectively a lot of the time.

I think Choice Band is the best one there. Since I'm going for attack over speed I don't see much point in using the Choice Scarf. Life Orb is an item I've never been too fond of as I tried it a few times in Diamond and it did more harm then good. I'll have to consider Expert Belt, but I still think that the Choice Band is better.

Thanks for the help Avalon, much appreciated.

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2011, 19:19 »
Yo, looking for some ideas for Cinccino

Cinccino@Life Orb
Jolly
Technician
252Atk, 252Spd, 4HP
-Tail Slap
-Bullet Seed
-Rock Blast
-???

I need some ideas for the last move. I'm thinking either U-turn, Thunder Wave or Encore. U-turn allows me to do scouting, Thunder wave cripples and Encore is more likely to force switches. I don't have a set up move to go with Encore, though. At a stretch, Wake-up Slap because it's 90BP with technician and it would allow me to hit steel types. Either that or I could U-turn out should I choose it.

Offline Specstile

• The Hoenn and Grass type fanatic!
  • Poképprentice Runner-up
  • Sentret Fan
  • Come At Me Bro
    • View Profile
    • FaceBook, only addy if i know you D:
« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2011, 01:39 »
i would go for uturn.

Y FC:0344-9270-9498

Offline Kyriakou

• Rob Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2011, 10:49 »
U-turn is probably the safest choice. Depending on the team, knock off might be a good option too.

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2011, 11:28 »
Yeah, U-turn has been good in tandem with a Pokémon that screams "hit me with a fighting move"! I can suck those hits up with Slowbro or a ghost type in my ever changing team~

Thanks! =]

Offline Kyriakou

• Rob Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2011, 12:23 »
I got a bold Litwick while I was breeding and I was wondering on how to EV it. I was thinking

Chandelure @Charti Berry
Bold
Flash Fire
-Calm Mind
-Flamethrower
-Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball
EV's?

What do you guys think?

Offline f3raligatr

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2011, 12:30 »
I got a bold Litwick while I was breeding and I was wondering on how to EV it. I was thinking

Chandelure @Charti Berry
Bold
Flash Fire
-Calm Mind
-Flamethrower
-Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball
EV's?

What do you guys think?

I was going to say that it isn't sturdy enough to really pull a Defensive set off, 60/90/90 isn't fantastic, especially without Shadow Tag to ensure you can set up at your own will.

Hm.

Pain Split might be worth a look. Will O Wisp too, perhaps go along the lines of something like this? Will O Wisp / Pain Split / Hex / Protect, aiming to be a bit of a support set?

I dunno. It just feels like a waste, so I can see why you've gone for the more traditional set but just being a bit more durable.. is it worth it though? Modest/Timid are always going to be the way forward, I'm sure you appreciate, but whether it's worth an extra bit of durability compared to the loss in power?

09-07-2013 & 12-08-2013
beyond the suffering you've known
i hope you find your way
may you never be broken again

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2011, 12:43 »
SRock weak and not immune to Spikes means defensive Chandelure doesn't even exist, sorry to say. Timid or Modest is the only way to go with Chandelure. Timid is preferred unless you're running Scarf, but both Timid and Modest Specs are scary powerful.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Kyriakou

• Rob Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2011, 15:48 »
Pain Split might be worth a look. Will O Wisp too, perhaps go along the lines of something like this? Will O Wisp / Pain Split / Hex / Protect, aiming to be a bit of a support set?

Yeah, it's a good set, but I think that given Chandy's lack of bulk it would be outclassed by things like Cofagrigus and Dusknoir.

SRock weak and not immune to Spikes means defensive Chandelure doesn't even exist, sorry to say. Timid or Modest is the only way to go with Chandelure. Timid is preferred unless you're running Scarf, but both Timid and Modest Specs are scary powerful.

I knew it was a bit of a long shot to pull it off, I might try it in the battle sub where there aren't any entry hazards to worry about. I'd never really considered Specs due to the lack of speed but I might try that with tailwind support or a baton passer.

Cheers guys!

Offline Specstile

• The Hoenn and Grass type fanatic!
  • Poképprentice Runner-up
  • Sentret Fan
  • Come At Me Bro
    • View Profile
    • FaceBook, only addy if i know you D:
« Reply #192 on: August 06, 2011, 19:31 »
I love gimmicy sets!
If you do go with bold, calm mind is a very cool option, attach a salac berry and you are off with that destructive spa (also boosted with calm mind) The things that are an issue would be aquajet since vacume wave and mach punch won't do anything and iceshard is resisted. You would have to max out hp evs and maybe put some into defences or/and speed.  flash fire is cool.

Standard sets usualy consist of modest and timids.
Scarf chandelure is the set i use. Revenge killa

Y FC:0344-9270-9498

Offline Pretty Awesome

• [citation needed]
  • Rex Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2011, 13:00 »
I'm starting to create a team for internet use, so can someone help me with what I could use for my Scrafty's ability, moves and item?

Scrafty
Shed Skin/Moxie
-Crunch
-Brick Break
-Dragon Claw/Ice Punch
-Bulk Up/Rest

I'm siding on the side of Shed Skin because I don't feel I'll be using Scrafty enough for Moxie to be of much use. Crunch is the only move that I am certain that I want him to know. Brick Break seems like the best fighting move for Scrafty because of how Hi Jump Kick and Focus Punch can backfire. Dragon Claw and Ice Punch are mainly to get rid of Dragons, but since Ice Punch will be super effective against many things that looks like the better option although it'll be more annoying to get. If I use Shed Skin then I will consider Rest, otherwise I think I'll go for Bulk Up. I don't know what item I should use for him. Can anyone suggest any potentially better moves? Also can anyone help me with the nature because I have no idea what to do for that.

Offline Normandy

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 11, 2011, 13:34 »
Hi Jump Kick>>>>>>>Brick Break. It does have the potential to miss but out of all the times I've used the move so far I've missed like 3-4 times? Ice Punch>Dragon Claw; Shed Skin if you want to go bulky Moxie if you want power