Author Topic: Team Building Q+A Thread  (Read 47188 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
Re: Team Building Q+A Thread
« Reply #195 on: August 11, 2011, 14:07 »
Moxie goes with Dragon Dance, Shed skin goes with bulkier sets (Bulk up/Rest etc). The damage output from Hi jump kick is much better than Brick Break and you will definitely find Brick Break lacking power. Scrafty only has 90 attack which is a lot less than some of the top OU threats, so a 195BP move (with STAB) allows him to overcome this. Brick Break will fail to OHKO a lot of things, even with +1 boost.

Ice punch > Dragon claw.

Offline Pretty Awesome

• [citation needed]
  • Rex Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 11, 2011, 14:38 »
Moxie goes with Dragon Dance, Shed skin goes with bulkier sets (Bulk up/Rest etc). The damage output from Hi jump kick is much better than Brick Break and you will definitely find Brick Break lacking power. Scrafty only has 90 attack which is a lot less than some of the top OU threats, so a 195BP move (with STAB) allows him to overcome this. Brick Break will fail to OHKO a lot of things, even with +1 boost.

Ice punch > Dragon claw.

Hmm I wasn't aware that Scrafty could learn Dragon Dance, I'm gonna go for that with Moxie in that case. I had a feeling that Ice Punch would always be the superior move.

Hi Jump Kick>>>>>>>Brick Break.

Yes, throughout the game I have preferred Hi Jump Kick, but it only ever seems to miss when it actually counts, such as the Elite 4 or Battle Subway.

At the moment I'm gonna go for:

Scrafty
Careful
Moxie
-Crunch
-Hi Jump Kick
-Ice Punch
-Dragon Dance

Anyone have any ideas for the held item?

Thanks for the help Liam and Normandy.

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 11, 2011, 14:47 »
DD and Ice punch are breeding moves, you need Smeargle for both of them at the same time. :P

On my black version I run:

Scrafty@Leftovers/Life orb
Moxie
Jolly
252Atk/252Spd/4HP
-Hi-Jump kick
-Crunch
-Ice punch
-Dragon Dance

a +spd nature is the whole reason for using Dragon dance. With 29 speed IVs or more you can outrun positive nature base 110s with just one DD (for example Timid Latios). I don't really see careful as useful as Jolly because it means you outspeed less and Scrafty is pretty damn bulky without the extra help.

Offline f3raligatr

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 11, 2011, 15:15 »
Scrafty
Careful

Surprisingly bulky, ridiculously enough. It's got 65/115/115 defences, so you could even attempt to turn it into a slow burn sweeper;

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
Nature: Careful (+SDef / -SAtk)
EVs; 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 SDef
~ Bulk Up
~ Crunch
~ Rest
~ Hi Jump Kick / Drain Punch / Brick Break

The basis is that you bring Scrafty in on something that will either switch, or Scrafty can sponge a hit from. Lets not forget, Psychic immunity is precious and he has resistances to Dark/Ghost/Rock with only Fighting and Flying moves that're super effective. As neither are really seen specially, outside of Focus Blast and Air Slash but users of those two are usually scared of his Crunch, alongside access to Bulk Up, it seems sensible to plough EVs and the nature into the Defensive stat he can't boost and look to get a couple of Bulk Ups in. The only problem is a phazer may well be able to come in and will away your hard work, as opposed to a Dragon Dancing Moxie set which'll take a turn or two longer to set up, but can easily reach scary levels.

Rest is complimented by Shed Skin with a 33% chance of his status being cured. Dark/Fighting offer near flawless coverage as it is anyway, so outside of dealing with Gliscor you don't really need Ice Punch unless using the Dragon Dance set in which case HJK / Crunch / Ice Punch / Dragon Dance accounts to a greater Lucario.

Just a thought~

09-07-2013 & 12-08-2013
beyond the suffering you've known
i hope you find your way
may you never be broken again

Offline Pretty Awesome

• [citation needed]
  • Rex Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 11, 2011, 19:23 »
DD and Ice punch are breeding moves, you need Smeargle for both of them at the same time. :P

Couldn't I just breed Dragon Dance to a Scraggy/Scrafty and then breed that with Ice Punch?

Anyway I'll use Leftovers for the item, thanks for the help Liam and theperfectdrug.

Offline TCoZ

• Resident Lurker
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 11, 2011, 19:26 »
Pretty sure egg moves only pass down from the father, so that wouldn't work.

Offline Pretty Awesome

• [citation needed]
  • Rex Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 11, 2011, 19:27 »
Pretty sure egg moves only pass down from the father, so that wouldn't work.

Yeah I realised that as soon as I posted... Time to get a Smeargle

Offline f3raligatr

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 14, 2011, 17:34 »
"Dream World Ability Inheritance

Female parents with a Dream World Ability have a 40% chance of passing down their Dream World Ability to their offspring if both parents are the same species. Which means that female-only species and genderless species cannot pass down their Dream World Abilities."

Does this mean Ditto is useless in terms of breeding Dream World abilities?

I'm fairly sure there is some inaccuracy in the above statement because my Garchomp has been breeding with a female MSDitto and I've received offspring with Marvel Scale, but.. just want to make sure about Ditto?

09-07-2013 & 12-08-2013
beyond the suffering you've known
i hope you find your way
may you never be broken again

Offline TCoZ

• Resident Lurker
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 14, 2011, 17:49 »
Yes, ditto is useless, sadly. However, it works with any suitable male that isn't ditto (for example, male braviary + female DW tailow works). So really, it's only the male-only species and genderless species that can't pass down.

EDIT: Also, I'm fairly sure it's 60% inheritance, but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 17:53 by TCoZ »

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 14, 2011, 21:35 »
Yo, looking for some set ideas for Jellicent.

Now, Jellicent is a really cool Pokémon because of her defensive capabilities, access to Recover, a really cool support movepool and decent STAB options.

Stats: 100/60/70/85/105/60

IVs: 31/6/31/31/31/31 (yes it's RNGd)
Nature: Bold
Ability: Water Absorb

Moves that I am considering for my move set.

Will-O-Wisp: Burn opponents, basically making their physical threats useless.
Toxic: Take bulky Pokémon down, especially bulky waters who Jellicent can't handle too well.
Taunt: Shut down Forretress who can't touch me with his attacks and Ferrothorn, who scares me with Power Whip.
Recover: I have to use this.
Protect: Stall Toxic, scout moves.
Substitute: Stall, avoid being statused.
Night shade: If lv100 that's pretty steady damage, but at lv50...
Shadow Ball: Attacking option
Hex: Take advantage of status to hit harder than Shadow ball.
Surf: Attacking option
Scald: Burn opponents while doing damage.

Now, I'd gladly put all of them on there but I can't, obviously. Concerns I have are damage output from my attacking options and conflicting status. Toxic and Scald go lovely together but then I don't have the more reliable burner Will-O-Wisp. Recover basically already gets a spot.

Thanks

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 14, 2011, 21:39 »
Well, Protect and Lefties would be a good start for free recovery, but I'm no pro for Jellicent. I most certainly recommend Scald for Burn and Taunt baitlessness.

Offline TCoZ

• Resident Lurker
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 14, 2011, 21:51 »
I think Will-o-Wisp, Toxic, Protect and Flash is your best bet.

I think Scald / Wisp / Recover / Taunt, or if you'd rather have more attacking options, place shadow ball over Taunt.

Offline Normandy

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 14, 2011, 21:52 »
I'd go Toxic/Recover/Scald/maybe Substitute. So you'd have double-statuses. recover+lefties help regain HP lost from Substitute

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 14, 2011, 22:04 »
I'd personally go with Scald, Recover, Taunt, Toxic. The only bulky Water you're likely to encounter in OU that will actually switch into Jellicent is Rotom-W. If you can predict the switch, Toxic will put a serious strain on how long it's lifespan is. Taunt screws Ferrothorn over, as stated, and after that, I'd reccomend switching to a setup sweeper that doesn't mind Grass attacks to scare it away while you setup.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 14, 2011, 22:20 »
Thanks for all the advice guys. :)

I reckon that I will go for Rich's set because I am somehow put off by the idea of WoW and Scald on the same team and Toxic is one of my favourite moves. P:

When I Taunt Ferrothorn I could switch in my SD Virizion, but Gyro ball is always athreat for him.

Any ideas for EVs? I'm thinking HP and heavy Def investment...