Author Topic: Team Building Q+A Thread  (Read 47431 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Legacy

• I know I'm in my own little world but it's ok, they know me here.
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Team Building Q+A Thread
« Reply #225 on: August 18, 2011, 13:22 »
I swear I saw a Hydreigon set somewhere but I can't find it :( Oh well.

OK so I'm looking for a good Hydreigon set. I remember somebody saying it's not too great as an early out and out sweeper. I'm also trying to get it to fit in with a dark based team (4 dark types, two wildcards)

Now I know it has no decent setup moves, so I was thinking something like this:

Hydreigon@Choice Scarf/Leftovers/Life Orb
Modest/Timid
EVs: 252 Sp.atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
-U-turn/Charge Beam
-Surf
-Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
-Earth Power/Flamethrower/Dark Pulse

U-Turn/Charge Beam is dependant on the item. I chose Charge Beam to ensure my team isn't walled by Gyrarados should my Sableye fall, and because it will hopefully increase Hydreigon's sp.atk giving him a chance to sweep.

Surf is there purely because my team atm lacks a water attack to support them (namely my mixed TTar)

Draco Meteor is for if it's Scarfed. Dragon Pulse for any other item, since I don't particularly want a decrease in sp.atk.

Now the last move is the most troublesome. Grass types cause a minor issue, most namely Serperior. Earth Power was my first idea, but then I considered how Serp would annihilate Hydreigon. Thus Flamethrower came into play. However there's also STAB Dark Pulse to consider. I haven't calculated the damage it would do with or without boosts on Serp, but I've still put it as an option anyway.
No man is ever truly good.
No man is ever truly evil.
I do the things you never could,
and we won't ever be equal

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 18, 2011, 14:16 »
To be honest, Serperior, unless DW abilitied, literally cannot do anything to Hydreigon bar Dragon Tail, but Serp isn't roaming free these days due to a bunch of fire-types who can stop it dead in it's snakey tracks, including Heatran and whatever else can.

I'd go like this:

Hydreigon@Life Orb/Scarf
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 Spe, 4 Hp
-U-Turn
-Surf
-Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower

This set here gets perfect neutral coverage, and deals with Serp easily. U-Turn scouts and hits Serp super effectively (Which won't do much to Serp anyway, but hey ho.) as Charge Beam doesn't do much anyway, and settting up is a bit risky on Hydreigon, even if it can get rid of Gyarados with Charge Beam.

Surf is quite good here, as it hits Heatran who would wall Hydreigon otherwise, and hurts Fire types for good damage anyway.

Dragon Pulse is a very reliable STAB, as nothing is immune to it, and kills Haxorus easily:

349 SAtk(120 Base Power & 2X Super Effective Boost) vs 294 HP & 176 SDef= 130.61%-154.08%(1HKO)

And Flamethrower is a nice and powerful way to kill Serp and others with  unresisted neutral coverage with Dragon Pulse and Surf, and rounds off the set nicely.

Life Orb gives you more power at the cost of HP, and with the EVs given easily outspeeds none Scarf Jolly Haxorus which would annihilate Hydreigon. Scarf, however, guarantees the outspeeding of Jolly Scarf Haxorus (by a few points). I might have got the Haxorus bit wrong, but hey-ho, someone will correct it. And I might have put the calc wrong, but someone can confirm it.

I warn you though, don't rely on Hydreigon too much. You need to have another back up to kill Gyara to be honest, cause Hydreigon can't do it single handedly after Gyara nets a DD or two, and I don't think it KOs Bulky DDGyara with Dragon Pulse.

Offline Legacy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 18, 2011, 14:45 »
I'm testing my team out on PO atm, and I'm running a Prankster Sableye with Taunt and WoW, so that deals with Gyarados pretty well. Sableye is also supported by the bulk of Dusclops (my first wildcard) who also has WoW as a back up should Sableye fall.

I've chosen the scarf on that, and switched for a hasty nature to make the best of U-Turn, since with neutral nature and no EVs, it can still cause a large portion of damage to the likes of Azelf and Serp.

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 18, 2011, 14:48 »
Hydreigon needs his draco meteor. :c

Offline Legacy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 18, 2011, 14:50 »
Hmm...since I'm running scarf, that is actually very very plausible. Thank you for reminding me.

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 18, 2011, 14:52 »
IMO Specs > Scarf. Hydreigon's main function is blasting holes in things, rather than trying to fly around fast.

Offline Legacy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 18, 2011, 14:56 »
I'm taking full advantage of the speed though, since TTar and Scrafty are the ones punching holes. Hydreigon is acting as both as scout and as the special attacker, outspeeding everything. I may run a sp.atk boosting nature to ensure it's still causing a fair mass of damage. I've tried both specs and scarf, and I'm much prefering Scarf

Offline diplodocus

• Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 19, 2011, 10:36 »
i think modest is best for hydragon since it cant outspeed a lot with timid and modest lets it be a gd wall braker. it can 2 hit most stuff with its greart movepool so i would go with life orb. its 2 slow for a scout i think ur better off using flygon for that.

Offline Legacy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 19, 2011, 10:59 »
OK so I'm looking for a good Hydreigon set. I remember somebody saying it's not too great as an early out and out sweeper. I'm also trying to get it to fit in with a dark based team (4 dark types, two wildcards)

It has to be Hydreigon for the above reason.
I'll test mild nature though

Also it's scarfed, so speed isn't too much of an issue.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:02 by Legacy »

Offline f3raligatr

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 19, 2011, 11:03 »
i think modest is best for hydragon since it cant outspeed a lot with timid and modest lets it be a gd wall braker. it can 2 hit most stuff with its greart movepool so i would go with life orb. its 2 slow for a scout i think ur better off using flygon for that.

The same Flygon that gets what.. 4 more Speed points at Lv100? Timid/MaxSpdEVs allows Hydreigon to hit 324 Speed at Lv100, which coupled with a Choice Scarf means that it gets 486 Speed, outspeeding even Jolly Ninjask (which peaks at 460, but nobody uses Jolly Ninjask anyway). Put it like this, it outspeeds Adamant Garchomp and OHKOs with Draco Meteor with ease.

Very few base 100s use +Spd/+252EVs. There are very few who sacrifice power for Speed in this Generation because things hit harder this time around. There's a big gulf at the moment in terms of Speed tiers, I'll find the list out later, that Hydreigon can comfortably hit. Anything above has to carry Focus Blast (Alakazam, Porygon-Z), Hi Jump Kick (Mienshao) etc, and hope that Hydreigon (which is bulkier than people think) isn't packing any EVs in it's HP/Def/SDef.

Hydreigon has two purposes, heavy wallbreaker or annoying Scarfer. Both are effective, Flygon only still sees use due to it's ability to speed tie with +Spd 100's and STAB Earthquake, otherwise I'd say that Meinshao or Hydreigon are best to do the scouting job, especially as you can keep them guessing (like I do) as to which set you're actually using. Get it wrong and Draco Meteor will tear one of your Pokémon a new arsehole.

09-07-2013 & 12-08-2013
beyond the suffering you've known
i hope you find your way
may you never be broken again

Offline Legacy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 19, 2011, 11:05 »
^Very nicely put =]

Offline diplodocus

• Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 19, 2011, 15:00 »
the only thing i comentd flygon 4 was a scout since its the fastest dragfon with uturn. if you really want a gd scout, use landrus starmie or latios.. doesnt mater since they all get ownd by excadrll! if u want wall breaker, use life orb. if u want scarfer, use latios, landrus, starmie... something that wont be outsped after something uses dragn dance x2, rock polish or has a scarf. thats the idea of a scarfer, to revenj kill thretning stuff. specs is decent on hydregn but im just teling us what iv used and i havnt used specs a lot. also i feel like everyone is picking on me whenver i post i just wnt to help.

Offline Legacy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 19, 2011, 16:23 »
We're not picking on you, we're pointing things out in the same way you are.

I asked for a Hydreigon set because I WANTED a Hydreigon set. Simply saying that Flygon is a better scout doesn't help me at all.

I understand that Flygon is a good scout, but as I stated, I wanted a Hydreigon because it is a dark type, which is what I needed for the team. Sorry if you feel we're picking on you, but we're not. We're stating our thoughts in the same way as you are.

Offline Specstile

• The Hoenn and Grass type fanatic!
  • Poképprentice Runner-up
  • Sentret Fan
  • Come At Me Bro
    • View Profile
    • FaceBook, only addy if i know you D:
« Reply #238 on: August 19, 2011, 18:27 »
ugh whimsicott or jumpluff.
I might just make both because they are both equally cute.
Jumpluffs sleep powder is important and has better defences. Resists fighting.
Whimsicott does not have x4 weakness to ice and faster.
Whimsicott doesnt even have leach seed! oh wait it does
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 18:29 by Specstile »

Y FC:0344-9270-9498

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 19, 2011, 18:29 »
Whimsicott has Prankster + Sub + Leech seed.

It's a monster, I'd use it over Jumpluff any day. =]