Author Topic: first world problems  (Read 379344 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Re: first world problems
« Reply #915 on: November 01, 2015, 16:14 »
Had a 2:1 for my first assignment, which isn't superb tbh.

The last assignment was an annotated bibliography and, as a photographer, I naturally annotated the journal articles I wanted to use as I would have annotated my photography. Plenty of "I"s in that assignment although we're told to be professional and academic about it? How awkward would it be to annotate journals and explain why I'm using them without using "I"?

I also didn't mention qualitative/quantitative or the populations and variables for any of the journals either. I was just whizzed off that we keep receiving "tutorial" assignments to get us into the swing of things because these assignments don't matter and they're not psychology.
If you're writing about your own work or reflecting on it then 1st person is fine. If it's about other people's work then use the 3rd person to write in. I'm studying design so it might be completely different but for one of my classes I've got to do a lit review and a reflective piece. So the review would be in the 3rd person and the reflective in the 1st.
So if you used an article you could say "this article is useful because it has xyz and shows that abc" etc, or if it's not good say why. It can take a while to get used to but yeah always write in the 3rd person unless told otherwise! Make sure you know what style of referencing and citing you need to use as well and don't leave them until the very end! Makes it sooooo much easier to do it as you go along lol

My necklace broke today :( I got it for my birthday but it's one of those ones with the tiny links on it and I don't know where I can get it fixed and that won't cost a bomb.

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: November 01, 2015, 16:45 »
Had a 2:1 for my first assignment, which isn't superb tbh.

The last assignment was an annotated bibliography and, as a photographer, I naturally annotated the journal articles I wanted to use as I would have annotated my photography. Plenty of "I"s in that assignment although we're told to be professional and academic about it? How awkward would it be to annotate journals and explain why I'm using them without using "I"?

I also didn't mention qualitative/quantitative or the populations and variables for any of the journals either. I was just whizzed off that we keep receiving "tutorial" assignments to get us into the swing of things because these assignments don't matter and they're not psychology.

idk about you but a lot of academic work i did required the third person passive voice. i dont recall much instances in my entire degree where i actually used the first person tbh

e.g. "i added sulphuric acid (0.025 dm3) to the mixture while stirring" would get you laughed out a journal for making a basic undergraduate mistake, its all in passive "sulphuric acid (0.025 dm3) was added to the solution with stirring" kind of voice. this might be what they're asking for but in that vague "we wont tell you everything" way that uni often does

a common way to test for the Academic Passive Voice which i found helped is to see if you can suffix "...by zombies" on the end or in there somewhere and it still makes sense

"i added sulphuric acid (0.025 dm3) to the mixture while stirring by zombies" nope
"sulphuric acid (0.025 dm3) was added to the solution by zombies" slightly constrained, but you get the idea

re: referencing make it easy for yourself and get a BiBTeX plugin for word and figure out some sorta Reference Management software like zotero (edit: actually zotero has its own Word plugin n all), and you can basically autogenerate references and a bibilography in the style needed. unless they're being right dicks they will commonly just say "cite it in natural sciences bibliography style" or w/e and you can commonly find a stylesheet for the bibtex plugin to do this.

its all a right PITA but this is how academia is!!! //showbiz hands//

edit: aw crap ive been EFB'd oh well i hope this helps anyway
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 16:48 by LOOK AROUND YOG. »
           

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 01, 2015, 19:09 »
Got stuck in a situation where I had to wear my binder longer than intended and it REALLY destroyed my ribs. Haven't worn it any longer than three hours maximum this week and it's really screwing with my dysphoria like DAMN.

Also it really annoys me that Australia doesn't really do the whole Halloween thing like the US does. I feel we're missing out on so much :c

tf kinda binder u wearin that wearing it more than a few hours kills your ribs
unless youre exaggerating in which case i feel u

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 01, 2015, 23:12 »
If you're writing about your own work or reflecting on it then 1st person is fine. If it's about other people's work then use the 3rd person to write in. I'm studying design so it might be completely different but for one of my classes I've got to do a lit review and a reflective piece. So the review would be in the 3rd person and the reflective in the 1st.
So if you used an article you could say "this article is useful because it has xyz and shows that abc" etc, or if it's not good say why. It can take a while to get used to but yeah always write in the 3rd person unless told otherwise! Make sure you know what style of referencing and citing you need to use as well and don't leave them until the very end! Makes it sooooo much easier to do it as you go along lol

Dang, I did it 50:50 so when it comes back I'll know what they were asking for. It's just frustrating since this assignment was set by library staff for a module that's just the worst. We're using APA so I've been using the universities iFind to cite the books that I've been using and they've posted a guide on how to reference so I'm feeling confident about that since I've been using that awkward Wikipedia style referencing.

You could maybe buy a new chain for your necklace and put the pendent on that? Unless it's like... gold or silver then it'll probably cost a nipple or two. Maybe a goldsmith will be able to sort it?

idk about you but a lot of academic work i did required the third person passive voice. i dont recall much instances in my entire degree where i actually used the first person tbh

e.g. "i added sulphuric acid (0.025 dm3) to the mixture while stirring" would get you laughed out a journal for making a basic undergraduate mistake, its all in passive "sulphuric acid (0.025 dm3) was added to the solution with stirring" kind of voice. this might be what they're asking for but in that vague "we wont tell you everything" way that uni often does

a common way to test for the Academic Passive Voice which i found helped is to see if you can suffix "...by zombies" on the end or in there somewhere and it still makes sense

"i added sulphuric acid (0.025 dm3) to the mixture while stirring by zombies" nope
"sulphuric acid (0.025 dm3) was added to the solution by zombies" slightly constrained, but you get the idea

It's the first time that I've ever used the first person in an assignment since we had to do all this stuff in sociology. It's just incredibly frustrating when the library staff who set the assignment clearly don't care enough to elaborate. It just felt really dry having to use "This article is..." at the start of every sentence. Especially when they want "flair".

I didn't know what to quote and what not to quote so this post is massive. I've just completed a 1,200 word essay and it took like... four hours lol.

Thanks though, to both of you.

Offline The Shrub Dragon

• so this one time i put milk in the kettle
  • Joeno Fan
  • uh
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 02, 2015, 00:17 »
i've just remembered i was supposed to do four detailed mind maps this half term and just like,,,, forgot and now it's 00:16 and im quietly panicking

+my mother is apparently beginning to feel 'resentful at how much of her energy i am absorbing' so uh

thanks gl <3

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #920 on: November 02, 2015, 10:49 »

'Experience' modules on my undergrad like mixing and mastering, music for film etc we were allowed to use first person, and the same for report writing on my teaching degree.

Everything else was third. Guess there's a time and place.

[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 04, 2015, 00:06 »
So i completely forgot about my optometrist appointment today so I procrastinated on my homework like normal. But they dilated my eyes and I am struggling to read close up. Im having trouble typing this up honestly but its not actual writing so i can do it okay. everything is just really blurry and I can't read my own handwriting as it is lol..

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #922 on: November 04, 2015, 19:29 »
my right foot is warm and my left foot is a block of ice masquerading as a foot

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 04, 2015, 20:09 »
 Signed up for a study at 11:30 today so I woke up and caught a bus into the city at an awkward hour, spent 40 minutes walking to uni, shed 500 calories walking to the top floor, and spent ten minutes waiting for the study only to find out that it had been cancelled :laugh:

On my "day off" mind.

Offline The Shrub Dragon

• so this one time i put milk in the kettle
  • Joeno Fan
  • uh
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 04, 2015, 20:17 »
nighttime panic attacks have stopped for the most part only to be replaced with daytime ones

imagine if i could commute without trembling throughout lmao

thanks gl <3

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: November 05, 2015, 00:09 »
I pulled a muscle in my leg, gave myself multiple papercuts in my hand, and finally I messed up my back bowling today. On top of that, my head hurts now. Great.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 05, 2015, 01:24 »
im tired but i wanna keep playing gw2

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #927 on: November 05, 2015, 01:31 »
I've not been sleeping properly for the past few weeks and I'm constantly exhausted despite not doing much to warrant it. I slept for 11 hours one night last week? I've been crashing out about 7pm and sleeping until 9pm and then end up staying up until like 2-3am
I think I'm either feeling down again or I've got anaemia or something, fun times.

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #928 on: November 05, 2015, 22:18 »
i have to pee in a bottle for the hospital to test it this is so humiliating.

Offline That Girl in the 'Roo Suit

• "You'll go far with your compassion. But unless you have the tenacity, you'll never make it to the top"
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • WE ROXOR U THEN U AM CRY
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #929 on: November 06, 2015, 11:09 »
Bought some new rats, bit they're warming to the boyfriend and not to me because I've been working every day since I got them... They're my babies damnit
-~-
Well did she make you cry? Make you break down?
Shatter your illusions of love?
And is it over now? Do you know how
To pick up the pieces and go home?
-~-