Author Topic: Help me with my Psychic-type mutts, please  (Read 3629 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MonsterMon64

Help me with my Psychic-type mutts, please
« on: August 11, 2017, 04:26 »

Advice on anything is welcome, but before anything else, I'm having trouble naming the darn things. I'm thinking Wizruff for the evolved form, but not sure what to do for the cute wittle puppy before it wait, duh, what about Magimutt? Well, Eventually I'm going to want to do some Pokedex entries, too.

Stats-wise, I wanted to make it a speedy mixed attacker... not sure if the BST is too high or if I should rearrange the base stats themselves. (the high BST is why I had it evolve the way it does...) I like Telepathy, but I might switch it out for something else, the question then being what with.* Psychic Surge (as a hidden ability, of course) is there because you know they're going to retcon insta-terrain moves to some older/weaker/non-Tapu 'mons eventually.

Anyway, that's all I have to add for now. Thoughts?

*I don't mind making up new moves or abilities if I have to, in which case all I can think of is either some sort of Psychic-type -ilate ability or give it Skill Link and make up some Psychic-type Bullet Seed or whatever. Maybe give it Pin Missile, too. (I figure it tosses sharp fur with its tail or something)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 04:30 by MonsterMon64 »

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Help me with my Psychic-type mutts, please
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 16:05 »
I would possibly try and put Cotton Guard in its moveset somewhere, fits anything with Fur Coat pretty well thematically imo.

I would also adjust the stats a little as it looks a little odd that Speed is the highest stat and only goes up by 20 on evolution but the attacks go up 50 each!

I'd also recommend moving 10 points on the second stage from Defence to Special Defence, as Fur Coat along with 70 base will make this thing exceptionally bulky (31 IVs / 0 EVs at level 100 at base 70 is equivalent to 158 Base!! Max invested is equivalent to max invested base 189, much too high for something that can presumably learn Calm Mind TM)

In fact it might be better to plain just remove 10 points from defence w/ no addition to Special Defence, as it really is very powerful, and being frail wouldn't be too much of an issue even on the Psychic Surge sets as it gets an immunity to priority.

As for a name, maybe Houndini (Hound + Houdini)? Malamagic (Malamute + Magic, possibly a bit close to Malamar)? Wizruff sounds cool but might have an issue with being a bit close to Rockruff, but I suppose they're different enough looking
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

MonsterMon64

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 17:51 »
Cotton Guard... Not a bad idea, but maybe a bit much for Fur Coat sets?

Speaking of Fur Coat, I didn't realise it was that much of a boost. I did wonder why everything that got it only had 60 Base Defense... So then, keeping in mind what you said, let's see if I can keep it at a BST of 540. I'm thinking:

HP: 74
Attack: 111
Defense: 56
Sp.ATK: 111
Sp.DEF: 70
Speed: 118
BST: 540

I'm a bit adamant about keeping its Attack and Sp.ATK equal to each other, but I did take them down a point each and put it into Speed. I figure 56 Defense isn't terrible if you've got Fur Coat, and with the boost to Speed, it worries even less about priority with Psychic Surge. (correct me if I'm wrong, though!) Or should I just take 2 points from another stat or so and make Speed an even 120?

Any thoughts for the third ability/other moves to go with it? I'm trying to make the stats reflect the flavor, too, which is the other reason I reduced the defense by that much. (would have made its Attack slightly lower but then why go mixed at all?) I get not all the abilities on a 'mon need to be amazing, though.

...I guess I should get around to Pokedex data, too. (On that note, why didn't I add Odor Sleuth? It's a dog.)

I'm not as worried about a little name overlap, but I do like the sound of Houndini, haha. The prevo is definitely Magimutt, though.

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 19:37 »
Those stats seem fair, it now dies to things that should counter it (i.e. Tyranitar's crunch 2HKOs even with max investment) whilst still remaining a reasonable amount of bulk for what is similar to a Psychic-type Infernape stat-layout wise.

As for ability, given it's a dog, how about Strong Jaw? Works well with Psychic Fangs to give good physical moves, and Fur Coat gives more of a leaning to a special set so that gives it an ability for each attacking side. Unfortunately I don't see this going truly mixed unless you give it a good reason too. I mean coverage wise you'll probably have something like this:
Special
-> Psychic / Psyshock
-> Shadow Ball (TM)
-> Focus Blast
-> Hyper Voice
-> Moonblast? (TM)
-> Surf? (TM)

Physical
-> Psychic Fangs
-> Ice/Thunder/Fire/Poison Fang?
-> Crunch?
-> Dig

Looking at this, it almost definitely needs Surf on the special side to give it any reason to go special assuming it gets the fangs, because they make a lot of sense for a dog.

If you go Skill Link, for the Psychic-type bullet seed, I actually thought Psywave would do well to be changed to one, as it retains the randomness but in a way that the move is actually usable, but as for a new move maybe could be some sort of barrage of psychic attacks, even could be something like Ley Convergence and the flavour being it hits a different amount of times based on how many ley lines you can channel (but being functionally identical to bullet seed etc) I could see a special Psychic type move being used alongside Skill Link to make a good mixed set (Psychic move / Bullet Seed / Rock Blast / Work Up might make a good set?)

Testing the Skill Link set (Ambipom is this thing), I'm assuming 252/252+ in SpA/Speed:
Spoiler: show
252 SpA Life Orb Ambipom Fury Swipes (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 310-370 (110.3 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Life Orb Ambipom Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 180-220 (45.8 - 55.9%) -- approx. 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Ambipom Fury Swipes (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash: 220-275 (72.6 - 90.7%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Life Orb Ambipom Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 175-210 (24.8 - 29.8%) -- approx. 0% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Ambipom Fury Swipes (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Skarmory: 155-190 (46.5 - 57%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So basically its a  very fast way of beating reasonably bulky things, even beating Skarmory, but its still walled by things like Chansey despite going mixed. (Fury Swipes is the psychic move there). If could potentially run Superpower to beat Chansey I guess. Seems pretty fair though,
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

MonsterMon64

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 17:01 »
Yeah, whether it can go truly mixed was less my concern and more just leaving the option to go one way or the other. I don't think most Pokemon can comfortably run a mixed set anyway, at least while also having a decent EV spread.

I like the idea of Strong Jaw, but I don't think it works flavor-wise, though I definitely think those Fang moves would be part of its learnset by some means or another. I guess all canine Pokemon get Crunch, so there's no reason to not include that, too.

Did you mean Dazzling Gleam? I mean, Moonblast might make a good egg move, but it's not a TM. As for Surf, I like the idea of a pure Psychic with a Water-type move, but Surf itself feels a bit of a stretch, design-wise. I'd imagine it'd get Energy Ball, though. (Not the best neutral coverage, but it's there.) Shadow Ball, too. On the physical side, I guess it'd get Power Whip (naturally) and Aqua Tail (via tutor, I think?).

I would have called Ley Convergence "Psy Barrage", but I think the flavor for Ley Convergence is pretty cool. ("Ley Barrage", maybe?) I guess if I'm going with Skill Link then Rock Blast and Bullet Seed are kind of a must. I kind of wanna give it Bone Rush over Bullet Seed, though. And since most of those moves are physical, I guess this Psychic variant would be physical as well? I almost wanna make it deal damage like an inverse Psyshock, but that might be a bit much, haha.

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 23:35 »
Yeah, I thought the same after posting about Strong Jaw, it's a bit of a stretch as the dog doesn't look particularly snappy, but definitely add those moves!!.

I had meant Moonblast but that's because I thought it was a TM but apparently not haha, so yeah Dazzling Gleam I guess. Surf my idea was that most dogs can swim, and stuff like Stoutland knows surf, although idk if that was more as HMs needed wider distribution. Energy Ball sounds sensible!!

Ah I forgot Power Whip was a thing that's definitely be a good choice, Aqua Tail seems good too.

Honestly it's very difficult to flavour a psychic type bullet seed as physical, I could see it as a psyshock clone, but inverse seems hard to do? Something like attacking with psychic imbued claws that wound the soul rather than the flesh I guess? Not sure how you for that in a like 50ish character description tho haha.
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝