Author Topic: I don't see the point in 3DSs  (Read 2734 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Wolstenholme

I don't see the point in 3DSs
« on: May 02, 2013, 17:36 »
Who actually wants to play games in 3D? It gives me a headache after 5 minutes and since I am adamant that I will not get a 3DS because of that I can't play Pokemon X/Y.

I think Nintendo are losing out here, I think that they're losing too big a proportion of their target audience because they don't have 3DSs.

MonsterMon64

Re: I don't see the point in 3DSs
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 18:42 »
You can turn the 3D effect off entirely on a 3DS and play it in "2D". That problem is easily solved. As for the general lack of interest in the 3DS, I haven't been keeping up. All I know is that it had an allegedly weak launch, but that point's moot now.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 18:48 by MonsterMon64 »

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 19:03 »
I can't even see the 3D lol
but yeah if it gives you headaches turn it off. You can't notice a difference really.
I think animal crossing, donkey kong and x&y may boost sales though!

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 19:08 »
Yeah you can turn it off if you want.

Honestly, I like the 3D. I thought it was going to be a lame gimmick but it's actually really enjoyable.

The same could really be said for the GBC -> GBA or GBA -> DS

Hardware improves, new consoles come out. I rarely buy a Nintendo handheld because I'm particularly wowed by the hardware improvements, I buy it because I play a lot of Nintendo games and I know the lineup will be killer.

The 3DS has loads of great things in its favour though, the ability to make notes while you play (Suspending play and going to the homescreen is actually really useful, especially now that there's a native web browser for looking things up quickly.

Stuff like 3D and AR will be as good or as bad as the game developers make it. I think Pokemon X/Y will make superb use of them.

Also getting online on the 3DS is a breeze. No more sitting through a whole bunch of connection screens for one game, it's almost as if you're constantly connected to the internet while you play.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm trying to sell you the 3DS, but you'll be missing out if you don't get one. I think people are hesitant to buy any console at the moment because creatively everyone seems stuck in a bottleneck. Just go where the games are good.

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 19:20 »
i can't even see in 3D, and the fact that the new pokemon game is on the 3DS enfuriates me. It's annoying the fact they're essentially not letting some people play the new game, because i know no one who actually HAS a 3DS - DSi, DSlite, DSiXL, etc, but no 3DS.

Also whats the point in paying for the extra 3D effect when you're less likely to use it because a lot of the 3d games are kind of crappy

Wolstenholme

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 19:49 »
Well I've only got a DSlite and I'm really happy with that.

I just don't like buying new consoles because I'm 16 so when I do my Mum tells me that I need to get out more. They also cost a lot of money. I think they should stick to one console for longer.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 21:44 »
i can't even see in 3D, and the fact that the new pokemon game is on the 3DS enfuriates me. It's annoying the fact they're essentially not letting some people play the new game, because i know no one who actually HAS a 3DS - DSi, DSlite, DSiXL, etc, but no 3DS.
They're upgrading their hardware so they can include a lot more in this game in terms of graphics and other stuff.  I don't see why it's annoying to progress, because there's no way in hell they should, or are going to, keep making new Pokemon games on the 3DS.

At any rate, like 90% of the time I play with the 3D turned off.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Draghost999

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 22:49 »
Nintendo made games X/Y, Mario 3D Land, and New Super Mario Bros 2 for 3DS only because they're just trying to make some money, for the 3DS. I never use 3D, but sticking to 2D is a choice. Although the 3DS is new and above the DSi with many here-unsaid features, it is otherwise the same thing as the DSi, but with a 3D option.

Offline Moon Chaser

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 00:04 »
It gives me a headache after 5 minutes

Why does it seem that everyone forgets you can turn it down rather than completely off. Either way it's flexible enough to be able to use he system. I have to adjust it every now and again, when using my brothers, and the 3D doesn't work while wearing my glasses, but I think it's fair enough for the first 3D system which doesn't require glasses. You can't blame Nintendo for going with a product which there is no equivalent. I'm think the lack of interest is partly because the lack of games (well lack of variety if anything). That's the main reason I've yet to buy my own. The initial price was a problem for some people, but as time progresses more people will move over to 3DSs.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 01:13 »
Did everyone moan as much when Pokemon came out on the DS? I can't remember.

There are loads of advantages from going from DS to 3DS. The 3DS isn't just a DSi with a 3D gimmick stuck on top. It's really expansive system with a whole host of great features, it's like having a stripped down Wii in your pocket. It feels robust but totally lean. I can understand not wanting to shell out money (Because let's face it, nobody WANTS to) but it's not like there won't be any benefits. X/Y is going to be a huge game.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 04:59 »
As has been said, it's not just a DS with a 3D slider, the graphical limits of the DS were really apparent in many DS games, and 3DS is much more powerful. Sure they're not current gen /console/ standards, but they're not far from last gen console standards, and for a handheld, that's pretty damn good.

Also, not sure why people hate the 3D, it was done very well in many games. OoT:3D did it incredibly for the most part. When used organically, the 3D serves to immerse you deeper into the world. It's hard to explain without experiencing it, but the 3D effect does more than just make things pop out, it adds a sense of depth and immersion in some games that I really enjoy.
Discord - richardblaziken

Draghost999

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 06:03 »
I hope what I said before was not misunderstood as me saying that the 3DS was only a Dsi with a 3D option. I didn't say that, I was just saying besides all the new things 3DS had over DSi. I was only highlighting the 3D feature, singling it out, by putting aside 3DS' defined improvements to show how the 3D was only "an option" and not one of the key aspects ahead of the DSi. I mentioned the 3D because that is what the author questioned. Since my previous post may have sounded a bit misleading. :nowink:

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 12:22 »
Did everyone moan as much when Pokemon came out on the DS? I can't remember.

No we were just looking forward to Wi-Fi so damn much.
Slowly an old member..

Mr. Apple

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 12:37 »
im only getting 3ds for X/Y, but im broke so it'll be awhile till I get it, and I really don't want it, I just want x/y

Offline Stmacl

• A force so evil that it wears a suit!!
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • So what are you gonna do... DEWOTT?!
    • View Profile
    • My blog the woes of a pokemon nerd
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 00:59 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p986eUrW8Ic This seems so relevant now.

No-one cared when I made a Nuke launcher, but no-one really agreed with my nuke machine gun...