Author Topic: Is pokemon dying?  (Read 8306 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mr. Apple

Is pokemon dying?
« on: May 11, 2013, 22:35 »
GTI looks bad, not really exited for X/Y, B/W 2 wasn't great, even the anime is getting bad.

It seems like Pokémon is dying.

This is just my opinion, but it looks like everything is declining.

What do you think?

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Is pokemon dying?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 22:40 »
GTI looks bad, not really exited for X/Y, B/W 2 wasn't great, even the anime is getting bad.

It seems like Pokémon is dying.

This is just my opinion, but it looks like everything is declining.

What do you think?

Before X and Y I probably would've agreed with you. But it seems like X and Y are sparking some new sparks? I dunno I feel it's a lot more exciting than B/W was. And general feeling is; "X and Y aren't too bad actually ^^"
Slowly an old member..

Mr. Apple

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 22:42 »
Yeah, x/y is looking meh

I hope it isnt as disapointing as bw and b2w2 though...

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 22:43 »
Yeah, x/y is looking meh

Each to their own really.
Slowly an old member..

Offline lugia95

• Joeno Fan
  • Credit to Chloe for the awesome avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 22:44 »
No, it's nowhere close to dying. GTI seems to be aimed at a younger audience, but that's to be expected. I don't know why you're not excited for X/Y, they look freaking awesome in my opinion. B/W 2 were in fact pretty good. They allowed younger fans to get into competitive battling easier, with the addition of Join Avenue and it's many ways of helping train pokemon competitively. And as for the anime? Have you seen Episode N? If not, go watch it. Right now. It's amazing, trust me.

And if Pokemon seems to be declining for you? Maybe your losing interest. Or maybe it's just a phase - everyone goes through a not-liking Pokemon phase, and a large number of people come back to it when they're older.

Offline RocketMember002

• Joy Incarnate
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 22:46 »
even the anime is getting bad.

Yeah that happened about 13 years ago, it's all repeating storylines and fillers now.

X and Y do look interesting, and the games sell in huge numbers, I don't think it's going to be dead for a while.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 23:03 »
Let's face it and be realistic here, the anime has ALWAYS been bad. I love and always will love the anime all the way up to Hoenn, that's my sweet spot, but even when I've just marathoned a bunch of episodes right from the beginning it's been kinda like "This type of episode...again?" Of course I don't expect much because it's only supposed to be a supplement.

As far as sales go...well I personally don't think sales are indicative of success in anything, there are lots of underground hits. I do believe B/W sold the worst of any game so far...maybe R/S did a little worse IIRC.

In any case, I don't think Pokemon is dying but I think it needs to decide what it's doing with itself, Black/White was a reboot of the series and felt a lot more 'anime' influenced than previous games, not just from its visual style and in-depth plot, but also in the execution. With BW2 we saw more of a return to traditional Pokemon.

The thing is, we're being given a lot of callbacks to older stuff such as PWT, New Mewtwo etc. but then the games themselves seem to be heading completely away from that and starting fresh. I think Pokemon need to start tying up some lose ends and building on existing stuff rather than constantly starting over. There are so many mysteries that just get forgotten and never solved or explained and it's kinda sad. I honestly don't want to return to any past regions just yet, but it'd be nice if something in a new region poured fuel on the fire of an old mystery.

For example, Giant Chasm is supposedly where a meteor fell and Kyuurem landed. Kyuurem has the DNA theme - so does Deoxys which also fell from a meteor. And what Pokemon can be found around that area? Ditto (More DNA related Pokemon) and Clefairy/Clefable, which seems to hint further towards the Mt. Moon mystery of Pokemon coming from the moon, yet they never seem to explain it even partially. They just keep piling on new mysteries without wrapping up the old ones.

Offline Goshdarned Sillyface

• Mayonegg
  • Iceduck Fan
  • hon hon baguette eiffel tower
    • View Profile
    • welcome to my steam account
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 23:04 »
we all have our own opinions but the thing i'm gonna miss in x and y is the whole sprite thing. don't get me wrong; the graphics on it look amazing! i'm just gonna miss the whole sprite thing and such. otherwise, i highly doubt pokemon's dying out. i've had times where i got really bored of pokemon but i came back to it anyways; i don't know if that's happening here but in all, all the games were really great and you can actually see them improving on everything as the years have gone by.
hey gastrodon guess what

grass types

Offline Clairefable

• worst jobby
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
    • abandon hope all ye who enter here
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 23:13 »
No. Your tastes are changing. /thread

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 18:23 »
I think it is starting to fade, but X/Y should give a spark to start it back up.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline BloodBlade

• Pokemon Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 08:12 »
I liked BW2. Granted, BW was betterm but I still liked them a lot more than Sinnoh. The bad guys ties to freeze you solid! It was awesome.

even the anime is getting bad.
The anime has always been bad, but before we were five and we didn't notice. Honestly, it has always been repetitive. Therefore, the only "good" season would be the first one. At least they're making Team Rocket an actual meanace as of Unova.

Offline Hoof Hearted

• Rob Fan
  • Swampert is nnniccee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 18:23 »
A lot of kids these day's think its embarrassing to play pokemon, and that it's only for babies. The sad part is that the so called "adult" game, COD, has more kids on it then adults, and the so called "baby" game, pokemon, has more adults/teenagers on it then kids. The generations aren't getting worse either in my opinion. Sure, I wasn't super impressed with the b/w pokemon line up, but it was still good and they completely improved the game, making certain aspects of it less annoying and more fun and cool in general. B2/W2 were the best third instalment's in a generation ever in my opinion.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 03:46 »
Pokemon sure isn't dying, and I think gen 6 has more hype going for it than any generation I can remember. Like has been said, it's likely a personal faze, and we all go through them. X/Y look absolutely fantastic, in my opinion, and many feel the same way.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline .~:Sly Foxx:~.

• SO, SO MANY THANKS GO TO HAZY FOR THE SLY BANNER AND AVATAR <333333
  • Sentret Fan
  • .:~I'm cute. Don't deny it.~:.
    • View Profile
    • How to Sprite
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 11:37 »
I don't think it's dying. I loved B/W, and while B/W2 were less my cup of tea, they were meant to be 'Third in the trio' games rather than new games altogether so I can forgive them that.

Also, while I agree with what Turner says about wrapping up mysteries, on the same level I kind of like having a few mysteries here and there. Throwing a line out to the speculators and the fanfiction writers, you know?

I am majorly, majorly hyped for Pokemon X/Y. The series evolves with every generation, and Nintendo are making a conscious effort to perpetuate this. And I'm excited.

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 13:52 »
I think a problem is the 5th Gen felt more like a pit stop or just something to tie us over until Game Freak came out with a 3DS duo of games. It's probably by far the shortest period for a generation (2 years-ish right?), it was released on the same console as the 4th Gen (DSi features or not, you still play both perfectly on a DS Fat) and even the anime accelerated at a much faster pace (Ash getting his badges faster) which resulted in filler arcs like the Melotta arc, N, and the one its on right now. I guess general feeling towards casual gamers or whatever was "Why arnt these on 3DS?". Even my nephew wondered the same thing till X and Y were announced.

I think the 6th has plenty to be excited for, it's stepping out of the sprites and into 3D at last, a whole new Pokemon type, and lots of other things I'm sure have yet to be announced. When you already see adverts on the back of Magazine for X and Y, you know this is going to be a big deal.   

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"