Author Topic: Mega Slowbro OP?  (Read 3069 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Mega Slowbro OP?
« on: December 03, 2014, 12:00 »
I don't know if you guys have tried this thing. I ran it on the stream last night and it's insane how powerful and easy it is to use. Get it on in a free switch then set up an Amnesia. It can't be critted so the only thing that can really be done is status (only reliable one really being Toxic).

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Amnesia
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psyshock

That's the set I was running. Seriously, it's insane. Not even Talonflame can handle this bro.
Slowly an old member..

Offline Neotenens

• Dark-type Poet
  • Rob Fan
  • Happiness is for happy people.
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Slowbro OP?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 13:06 »
Whoa, I tried this on showdown. It's pretty good, you're right. I still wil probably use a clefable, though...
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 13:50 »
I've heard of Rest / Calm Mind / Scald / Sleep Talk, which doesn't even care about Toxic, it's literally only beaten by Water Absorb users (which are very rare atm). Puts up much better with walls, being able to slowly rack up calm mind boosts.

Not caring about toxic or crits just makes it so difficult to beat, M-Rayquaza is about the only thing that deals with it xD
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 13:36 »
I run Audino as a special wall to heal bell and wish pass with it, but I imagine Wish passing-Chansey is the best option and oh god. Mega Slowbro is amazing.
Slowly an old member..

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 13:48 »
I've already considered this, and I'm pretty sure Game Freak screwed up the only damn time they tried to make a defensive Mega by making it too good. The RestTalk CM Scald set is so insanely good, and Sleep Talk can be replaced with Psyshock because if you can safely setup a CM or two who even cares? It's not like 2 turns is going to break you if you're free to setup, and if it is, you shouldn't be setting up.

I've honestly just stopped playing competitive for a while, the metagame is beyond screwed at the moment. There are like 12 things that need to be banned before we even have a chance at a passable metagame.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Raphetty

• Streetpasser Extraordinaire
  • Name Rater Hater
  • 54 Mii Plaza Accomplishments; 924 Plaza Population
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 13:55 »
I've honestly just stopped playing competitive for a while, the metagame is beyond screwed at the moment. There are like 12 things that need to be banned before we even have a chance at a passable metagame.

Bringing back Aegislash might sort out some of the problems perhaps?

3DS FC: 3067 - 6449 - 6265 ... Sun trainer name: Rafipi ... X trainer name: Brennica
Omega Ruby trainer name: Moga ... Alpha Sapphire trainer name: Rosella

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 14:20 »
Hell no. Any Pokemon that can 1-2HKO the metagame with all of the sets in usage is clearly OP.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 17:25 »
50%-50%. But Aegislash is not the issue: I have always thought that Mega Slowbro would be the first non-legendary wall to make it to suspect, and I think I am right:

252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 179-213 (45.4 - 54%) -- 44.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 206-244 (52.2 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

What about Heracross, one of the most powerful Pokémon with a STAB that can be abused against Slowbro?

252+ Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 280-340 (71 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 190-230 (48.2 - 58.3%) -- approx. 96.5% chance to 2HKO

What about Breloom?

252+ Atk Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 198-234 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

What do all these Pokémon have in common? They hate being burnt by Scald! At least Kyurem-B and Breloom are resistant to it, but Mega Heracross and Breloom will hate taking a Psyshock by the Slack Off set! Of course, I am not taking into account Choice Band Ferrothorn, as it is slower and a very rare sight.

Oh, so we've got to be very powerful to take it out! And does one of the most powerful "mixed" attackers have a chance against Slowbro?

4 SpA Mega Metagross Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 146-172 (37 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Not very likely. Maybe overpowering it would be wise...

0 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 306-360 (77.6 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Volcarona is weak to Scald, but it has one big advantage over Slowbro: if they start a Calm Mind war, Volcarona might be able to be at +1 (compared to Slowbro), thus overpowering Slowbro. They problem comes when Slowbro scores a critical hit against Volcarona; call it a "Game Over".

+1 0 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 456-536 (115.7 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO

In return...

4 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 210-248 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. +1 240 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 140-168 (37.7 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+3 4 SpA Slowbro Psyshock vs. 240 HP / 252 Def Volcarona: 279-328 (75.2 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Of course, we could also consider Choice Specs Magnezone and Volt-Turn (thanks to Manectric and, say, Tornadus-T), but that is based on a more complex scenario, and Richard hates complex scenarios. And Megabro. And the metagame. And me.

In conclusion, Volcarona (in this case, Bulkyrona), a Pokémon not easy to use in the Metagame, is apparently good at setting up, and everything else must be extremely wary due to Scald. Ladies and Gentlemen, bring your stalling machines to the battlefield, as Slowbro might not be early suspected.
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 18:40 »
Mega-Slowbro is a boss and I love it. Crocune's better than crocune bruh.