Author Topic: What do you think of Smash 4?  (Read 13738 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
What do you think of Smash 4?
« on: December 28, 2014, 17:19 »
Well, basically you tell what you like, don't like, wish hadn't or had been in, what you do and the like in the game.

I kinda hate that there are so many characters because with someone like me, it causes a lot of indecision. However, I do like greninja and duck hunt the most out of the new characters, and Lucario's final smash is awesome. I also loved that extremespeed actually damages others now.

My main is Lucario. I also use Ike, Falco, Fox, and Duck Hunt.

So what about you?
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think of Smash 4?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 17:56 »
pikachu is still gr8

really do wish I knew more of these characters lmao

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 03:59 »
Better than Brawl.  Doesn't have as much speed as Melee, but it has a lot more than Brawl and it's enough that a misstep can be punishing.  Also much easier to edge guard.

I'm enjoying these buffs to Ike though.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:32 »
Better than Brawl, but that isn't hard to accomplish considering what a pile of garbage that was. Smash 4 is fun, and probably the best overall, but it has a lot of problems. Defensive play, especially projectile spam, is rewarded much more than offensive play. If you're playing a character without some form of projectile, I feel sorry for you if you play competitive matches.

The kill edges are also a bit too far, and the characters are horribly unbalanced, though I don't think they were necessarily aiming for balance.

Overall though, lots of fun, I play pretty much every day.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 22:22 »
Defensive play, especially projectile spam, is rewarded much more than offensive play.
If you're saying it's better than Brawl and then saying this then I don't know how you can say it's better than Brawl, because I've still seen a lot of stuff contradicting this.

the characters are horribly unbalanced
This is apparently not true...  we haven't seen much of any evidence to say that it's unbalanced yet (in fact we've seen it the other way) so this is really dumb to say especially this early in a metagame's development.

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 01:04 »
Well I'm glad you have an opinion.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 01:20 »
Raven, he's got a point. The only matches I seem to do good in are ones where I have a projectile that can move at a decent speed since everyone's dodge rolling and playing very defensively online.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 07:58 »
Well I'm glad you have an opinion.
Yeah and I'm glad you don't control the metagame, because this kneejerk crap that you seem to have towards every competitive atmosphere is really stupid.  Can't at least let a metagame develop before making sweeping and extreme statements that could have no meaning in a year?  Can't even take time to maybe acknowledge the fact that what you're saying is quite off and instead make a ridiculously condescending comment?

Raven, he's got a point. The only matches I seem to do good in are ones where I have a projectile that can move at a decent speed since everyone's dodge rolling and playing very defensively online.
Probably because you're having a tough time with your approach and you aren't able to punish a dodge roller.  I don't have the technique to do it but when I do it against online people I generally succeed, but if you do it against someone who actually has skill (and I've played competitive caliber people and not just online people) they can punish you easily and game you into things.  I definitely do not see defensive play rewarded in many of the higher level matches I have seen of this game either or based on things I have read, and I have not seen defensive play rewarded any much more than offensive play.  This isn't Melee where there is a huge emphasis on aggressive play and very quick thinking/instinct nor is it Brawl where defensive play is 100% preferred.

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 08:30 »
I forgot how non-condescending "stupid" is when discussing opinions in a topic called "What do you think of Smash ?", you're right. 2500 games of FG with a consistent 92.50% win rate is definitely kneejerk. I must be crazy!

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 08:36 »
I don't think you really understood a thing I said in my post.  You're making a sweeping generalization of an entire metagame based on limited experience.  2500 games of for glory doesn't mean much in the grand scheme, especially because for glory is not guaranteed high level play or competitive play like you are claiming.

Besides, making sweeping generalizations that are actually factually incorrect as of the current state of the metagame is not an opinion.  I am not calling the opinion stupid so much as the notion you are portraying - which is the fact that you're making a kneejerk and sweeping generalization of a two month old metagame.  This is not an opinion at this point, this is a statement of fact, which is, as of my typing, incorrect.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:46 by Lord Raven »

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 08:47 »
I keep up with the metagame as well. I discussed what I think about Smash 4. If you don't agree, by all means, feel free to not. In my experience, and from what I know of the game mechanics, I believe defensive play is rewarded more than offensive play. You get so upset about opinions in topics about opinions. Do I have to preface everything I say with "I THINK:" in topics that are very clearly opinionated in the title of the damn thread?

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 08:53 »
I keep up with the metagame as well. I discussed what I think about Smash 4. If you don't agree, by all means, feel free to not. In my experience, and from what I know of the game mechanics, I believe defensive play is rewarded more than offensive play. You get so upset about opinions in topics about opinions.
Then I don't see where you're getting that from because that's exactly opposite of everything I have read and seen.  You must be sensationalizing things (it being imbalanced as "horribly imbalanced" and the fact that it's actually fairly balanced between offensive and defensive play as "rewards defensive play") if you are saying what you are saying.

It rewards defensive play in the same way that Pokemon Generation 3 rewards defensive play.  In other words, you're bound to see some defensive showdowns and you'll get a game that's over in a few turns because the offenses take over, but you'll also see a lot of balanced games.

Do I have to preface everything I say with "I THINK:" in topics that are very clearly opinionated in the title of the damn thread?
You're not arguing an opinion at this point.  You cannot just sensationalize reality or state something very incorrect and somehow make it into an opinion.  A sweeping generalization also does not portray reality at all, which is another thing you have made.  Are you one of those people that think Dan Marino would easily throw 6000 yards and 60 TDs in the modern NFL too?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:57 by Lord Raven »

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 09:02 »
Game's okay, kinda dislike how Amiibo's don't seem to do much in it though.

Still adjusting to the Wii U controller atm, and haven't really played much since Greninja was nerfed (coincidentally, not because I didn't like the nerf or anything). Has the same problem as most smash games in that it's quite repetitive and you end up with a load of useless characters where the average player is not going to be able to win with them. Definitely agree with Rich in that the characters are unbalanced, but that happens in every game so yeah.

Loving the introduction of Master Balls though, can make for really fun battles when you only enable them and smash balls xD
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 09:08 »
Just because the "average player" can't win with a character doesn't make them useless, and even then there aren't a ton of useless characters - very few pretty bad characters and everyone else is not trash.  The disparity between characters is not big enough that a good player of a worse character cannot beat an average player of a better character.  Same idea in Melee and Project M.

MonsterMon64

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 12:54 »
I really liked Smash Bros. for 3DS, but I got caught up in other things (mostly life stuff at the time) and have since forgotten about it in favor of other games. Was thinking of picking it up again, but the thought occurs that I'd have to get that big update from a couple months ago (unless there was another one since?) if I wanted to play online/have Amiibo support (I assume?) or whatever else in the future, and I kind of am relucant to do so because that means losing the few battle videos I have. Wish I could just save and upload 'em...

I still have a lot of characters to try out, but my main is pretty much Ness. Donkey Kong is fun in Smash Run, though. I occasionally switch it up with Megaman, who I played as endlessly in the demo. Luigi and Kirby are still faves of mine. I like Mii Brawler but haven't really gotten around to trying the other two Mii Fighters.

Things I DON'T like? So many characters with COUNTER moves. Okay, so like five, but still. I know my complaint kind of amounts to "git gud" but it just feels like in Smash bros in particular, it seems like a lazy cop-out special to give someone imo. I dunno, maybe I'm just annoyed when Shulk does it, since it goes all slow-motion on you to rub it in your face. (inb4 jokes about how I'm not "really feelin' it" )