Author Topic: Nintendo is Disablist!  (Read 1424 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Petzbreeder

• Also known as Brally
  • Joeno Fan
  • I play my games in French sometimes.
    • View Profile
Nintendo is Disablist!
« on: August 20, 2016, 17:53 »
I found a podcast on the Ouch Disability section of the BBC News website about Pokemon Go.

Having a disability myself, I'm not able to get into certain buildings because of my wheelchair.
I never had any interest in Pokemon Go, so that isn't too much of a problem for me. Other people with disabilities  in the podcast discuss their issues with it.

I've uploaded the podcast to Vocaroo because I've found the podcasts on the BBC News website don't load on slow internet connections.

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Re: Nintendo is Disablist!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 18:43 »
i mean the word is ableist but whatever

i'm disabled, my mother is disabled. both physically. we both play pokemon go. although neither of us need a wheelchair, we both limp when we walk and can't walk as far as your average healthy folk.

it's my opinion but i don't see how the game is ableist. the whole point of it is to go out and walk. yes, there are people who can't walk. if they don't have something like a motibility scooter or a wheelchair, then yeah, it sucks that they can't play the game. if they wanna play a pokemon game without having to walk anywhere, there are seven generations worth of games to play.

also it's niantic who developed the game not nintendo, so it'd be "niantic is ableist"

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 23:17 »
i mean im like... 40% able bodied and really dont need a wheelchair so i cant speak much for that but um

you dont ... really Need to get into buildings to play pokemon go...

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 00:56 »
Nintendo once made this contraption for the NES to allow people with limited mobility play the system. Problem was it was incredibly bulky and huge and there was a high price tag attached to it.
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 11:20 »
//nasal voice// actually, i think you'll find it is Ninantic, not nintendo

i mean i can't play the pokemon go cos of a combo of mental illnesses n crappy body problems but thats fine by me i aint missin anything too much. and there aren't any Pokemon Go exclusive pokemon that u trade back to the games a la the pokemon collesium/XD games, so eh, i care not for missing it. seems its just the mobile version of pokemon shuffle i.e. pay2win anyway??????????

also on the other hand it is hella helping autistic kids to leave the house for the first time in ages and go out and about so
           

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 12:48 »
I don't even HAVE a smart phone so I don't play Go. I play it the proper way: on my 3DS inside my apartment in my room in my bed.
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!

Offline sans the skeleton

• they/them pronouns please
  • Joeno Fan
  • super meme trash
    • View Profile
    • Subeta
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 15:13 »
i mean i dont use a wheelchair, but with having autism and all of that fun (note: not actually fun) stuff, i tend to get as close and yet far to the stops as possible when they're crowded. you dont usually have to go into the buildings for pokestops or gyms. this was actually extended recently due to the fact people kept trespassing and stuff up to 10 metres. this applies to pokemon too. as long as they're in your radar (the little circle you keep popping out), you're fine. this is actually making it more accessible than it was before, though i dare say there's still /some/ issue with it i guess. its definitely a great idea for some, though maybe not all.

ive created a monster
official forum cryptid