Author Topic: Ken Sugimori to simplify Next Gen Pokemon Designs?  (Read 1410 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Lexidius

• BlackStatic
  • Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
    • FurAffinity
Ken Sugimori to simplify Next Gen Pokemon Designs?
« on: November 10, 2013, 01:22 »
Quote from: The Escapist Magazine
...Talking to the Japanese We Love Pokemon Magazine, Sugimori answered that rather than adding more features and more complex designs, he'd rather go back to having elements similar to what was offered in Pokemon Red and Blue to see how it would turn out.

Source: escapistmagazine

Seems funny that pokemon would release a game about mega evolution and then revert from its digimon-esque concepts back to gen 1 style, but in my own opinion I think it'd be good to find a middle ground somewhere between pikachu/eevee remakes (dedenne, anyone?) and superspecialawesomechocolateyfudge-coatedmegasuperevolutions. Me, personally, I find Gen 3 to have had some of the best designs and would like to see Sugimori experiment with simplicity for a while.

Anyone else's thoughts on this?

Lex | 23 | He/They| Aus | 2008 member

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
Re: Ken Sugimori to simplify Next Gen Pokemon Designs?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 02:05 »
I really liked most the designs of 6th gen mon, so I'd hope to see more creativity like what we got. I think the small number actually helped Pokemon stand out, too. Nearly every new Pokemon seems to be memorable.
Discord - richardblaziken

MonsterMon64

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 07:45 »
Not sure what to make of this. I never really had anything against the more complex designs, but any new legendary Pokemon could stand to be simplified a tiny bit, I suppose. Definitely curious to see the direction Sugimori will take things for the next gen.

Wolstenholme

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 09:26 »
It could be a good thing because imo some of the new designs were waaaaaaaaay too detailed (see Barbaracle euuuuugh)

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 10:08 »
I think a good mix would be nice, aha, I'll probably end up liking whatever they make.

Apart from Glaceon.

Offline Meowstic Royalty

• Cats.
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • WARNING: DORK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 18:46 »
I think a Pokemon can be amazing whether it is detailed or not. Generation 5 didn't exactly have to most detailed designs ever, but they still cut it. For example, the Oshawott evolution line and of course, Scraggy and Scrafty.

However pokemon that are extremely detailed can be memorable, such as Giratina or Palkia, although adding too much detail into one design will more than likely make it look ugly. Perfect example = Barbarcle.

So I think it would be best to make designs somewhere in between?

Needs more Gengar