Author Topic: Could use some ideas, so RMT!  (Read 1393 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline JSM

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Could use some ideas, so RMT!
« on: March 01, 2014, 22:44 »
Never done an RMT thread before so apologies if I say anything stupid =P But my team struggles with a couple of threats and I'm wondering what to replace in order to deal with them without losing too much!

@ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Fairly standard Conkeldurr. This generation Conkeldurr has been a massive surprise to me, as I'd never used it previously. With the bulk of the Assault Vest Conkeldurr is bulky enough to take a surprising amount of hits and annihilate unprepared teams. With guts it can function as a status absorber, which I find incredibly useful. Knock off is an amazing move and I use it at almost every opportunity. Mach punch gives it some good priority to remedy its poor speed and help it net some KOs on weakened pokemon. Drain punch gives it some vital recovery that it misses from leftovers and Ice Punch provides some coverage against the dragons.

[size=78%]@ Mawilite[/size]
Ability: Huge Power [Intimidate]
EVs: 252 Atk / 132 HP / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang

Mega-Mawile is something I've wanted to try out for a while. It's definitely a force to be reckoned with, although perhaps a little slow. I have found that its lack of speed deprive it of opportunities to set up and it has to focus on killing. Play rough is there because fairy stab is a great stab to have, sucker punch is good priority and will kill faster threats weak to it most of the time. Fire fang has been working really well for me. People always bring scizor in on Mawile (why? Don't ask me.).

(M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

At this point of building my team I realised I was lacking in speed, so in comes Thundurs to support the slower pace of my team with its amazing priority t-wave. Thundurus works really well as a lead in most situations, either t-wave a fast threat or land a powerful hit while my opponent lays their rocks. T-bolt for stab, HP-ice doesn't hit that hard, but can surprise some people and focus blast hits rock types and most importantly ferrothorn. I prefer leftovers over life orb because it gives it a bit of lasting power, it dies too quickly with a life orb.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

Speaking of Ferrothorn, I love using it. Ferrothorn never lets me down. With its EV spread and nature focused on taking hits on both defences it's a good answer to a decent number of pokemon. Stealth rock because SR. Leech Seed makes it last a little longer and gets some residual damage. I like using power whip > gyro ball, it just fits the way I play Ferrothorn better. T-wave supports my slower team again.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Fire Blast

Slowbro is usually amazing for me. I love how physically bulky it is, but on this team it doesn't really seem to be doing much. It takes hits, but quickly dies. I love the fact it gets regenerator allowing it to take a lot of extra hits, but it just can't hit anything back hard enough to threaten it, the only reason it's not gone yet is talonflame.

@Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd/ 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Crunch

I added Crawdaunt for the fun factor, but omg I love it. CB Knock Off with adaptability and stab? YES PLEASE!  Aqua Jet is surprisingly powerful coming from crawdaunt, Crabhammer gives it a more powerful stab and Crunch is for killing things that resist water after Knock Off has been spammed. Thinking about going Switcheroo > Crunch, just because it would be something fun and unexpected.

I hope that wasn't too bad to read! I'm awful at explaining things so it probably sounded awful xD But some things that my team doesn't handle all too well are: Mega Venusaur and Mega Pinsir. I'm not sure what to replace and what to add in that would fit my team all that well. I was thinking of a Talonflame, but I don't have defog or rapid spin anywhere and I think I have enough of a physically offensive presence on my team.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 22:51 by JSM »

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
Re: Could use some ideas, so RMT!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 22:47 »
TBH, ferrothorn prefers spikes.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 23:09 »
Since Richard is more dead than a Ghastly inside an empty Cloyster shell has not opened the school yet, let me do a quick overview of your team.

I will never stop saying this: your team is made out of the OU of the OU. My style tells me not to use legendaries in that tier, but it's your opinion.

Anyway.

Conkeldurr is how it is; no problems with it.

Megamawile has a problem; fire fang's power is tiny and it misses the stab.

Thundurus is a kamikaze; he should be happy once he has a life orb in his hands. Thunder Wave is very useful in your team of slowtards non-speedy Pokémon, Thunderbolt is standard, Focus Blast's accuracy will kill you more than once and HP Ice gets its job done against certain Pokémon.

Ferrothorn... I see you have no Gyro Ball there, which is a mixed bag there: you lack a powerful STAB, but, since you are already using Thunder Wave... The Rocks are good... if you are planning to stay short; with Leech Seed, this is not the case. You should use Protect over TW, and since you only have Power Whip, you will easily be stalled out or taunted. This one needs serious changes. As ShinyBlaziken said:
TBH, ferrothorn prefers spikes.

Yes, it does prefer Spikes if it runs Leech Seed and Trolltect. If it can fight back, use Gyro and Power, as well as both Hazards if you feel gutsy.

Slowbro has a problem: it marks your Special Weaknesses, and being weak to Elec., Dark and Plant (among others) won't help; it shares the same weaknesses as Crawdaunt. Scald would be good if you hadn't two paralysers already, and you might prefer the more consistent Flamethrower for a tank/wall.

Crawdaunt is a Pokémon very hard to use, but it is rewarding if used properly; more Knock Offs are OK, but the attacks you chose are very redundant.

After having considered all of this, rebuild a team; once you have it, we can talk later about it.

Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 23:14 »
The ferrothorn is good, SR can be used instead, it's just spikes is preferred.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Fire Blast

Slowbro is usually amazing for me. I love how physically bulky it is, but on this team it doesn't really seem to be doing much. It takes hits, but quickly dies. I love the fact it gets regenerator allowing it to take a lot of extra hits, but it just can't hit anything back hard enough to threaten it, the only reason it's not gone yet is talonflame.

Um... hate to break it to you, but slowbro is UU now. =/

But it's op as hell there, so it's gonna be banned from there soon. I like slowbro quite a lot. I run:

Scald
Slack off
Reflect/Light Screen
Yawn
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 23:22 by ShinyBlaziken2000 »

Offline Awkward Squirtle

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 23:18 »
Being UU is not an issue for an OU team. It indicates it may not be as strong as some other OUs, but that doesn't mean you can't use it.

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 23:20 »
Being UU is not an issue for an OU team. It indicates it may not be as strong as some other OUs, but that doesn't mean you can't use it.

Thanks a lot for pointing this out! Moreover, I could say the same for Crawdaunt (at least up to BW), but its power is ridiculously high!

Just let the OP decide.
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 01:02 »
You could possibly run trick room on slowbro to support your mawile (seeings as its your mega), conkedurr and ferrothorn a little.

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 01:05 »
I hadn't thought about that one, nice job.