Misc > Random Randomness

Things that make no sense or are just weird

<< < (2/19) > >>

Captain Jigglypuff:
Canned pet food- How do we know that they taste like the label says? Are the pet food companies hiring people to taste it? And do those people get paid minimum wage or a high salary to do the job?

Petzbreeder:

--- Quote from: Captain Jigglypuff on December 01, 2016, 11:22 ---All year around parents tell their children not to take candy from strangers.

--- End quote ---

Adding to this. Parents always tell their children to never talk to any strangers. How the hell are children supposed to make friends when they first start school if they're not allowed to talk to people they don't know?

Teachers are effectively strangers to children when they first start school too. Does this mean that parents don't want their children talking to teachers in order to learn things?

Lord Raven:
Taken at face value, that doesn't make sense. The underlying idea is "don't talk to random people on the street in an open environment, especially since you're a vulnerable little 7 year old and they're able to do whatever the hell they want to you."

It doesn't cover a regulated environment like school, and it implies you should also be careful to a degree when interacting with people for the first time as you grow up. Taken at face value it's dumb, taken as it's intended it's not. Is your issue that the saying isn't wordy enough?

--- Quote from: Umbreon#100 on December 01, 2016, 18:18 ---Magnets. How do they work?

--- End quote ---

oh god not this meme

--- Quote from: not chloe on December 01, 2016, 18:44 ---You would only need to be able to fold a piece of paper in half 43 times for it to reach the moon. Unfortunately it's impossible to properly fold a piece of paper in half more than 8 times

--- End quote ---
What do you mean by this? I'm legitimately curious - is it basically saying that 2^43 * the thickness of a sheet of paper is the distance between the earth and the moon?

Anyway, something that doesn't make sense to me still is Simpson's Paradox. It's basically saying that you can use the same batch of statistics to actually imply two contradicting things.

The mobius strip has no inside or outside.

Petzbreeder:
Whenever I literally went anywhere whatsoever, my mum always told me to never talk to strangers, implying that she didn't want me to talk to anybody whatsoever. I can't even write on this very forum while my mum is watching, without her being overly suspicious of who I'm talking to!

SaRo|Rapidash:

--- Quote from: not chloe on December 01, 2016, 18:44 ---You would only need to be able to fold a piece of paper in half 43 times for it to reach the moon. Unfortunately it's impossible to properly fold a piece of paper in half more than 8 times

--- End quote ---

Only like 103/104ish and you reach the size of the universe too, which is kinda crazy!

(Also I swear the number of times you can fold a sheet of paper keeps slowly creeping up - like I'm pretty sure it used to be 7 because I got really excited when I was younger and folded it 8 times and thought I made a world record haha - maybe in a few centuries we will reach the moon!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version