Poll

Why is using not very used Pokémon important?

Because they need love ♥
8 (53.3%)
Because they can be a nasty surprise for the opponent.
5 (33.3%)
They aren't lol.
1 (6.7%)
↑ I think the one who voted for that has no idea on Pokémon.
1 (6.7%)
I am doubting more than Descartes. Give me some more time to think, please.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Unsuspected, "unviable" Niche Pokémon of the Day  (Read 39808 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
Re: Unsuspected, "unviable" Niche Pokémon of the Day
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 00:03 »
Weakness Policy Yanmega will hardly be able to take a hit in OU, especially a special one. This is why Focus Sash is a viable option for Yanmega, since it naturally hits hard.

Anyway, the time for another article has come.

DISCLAIMER: THIS ARTICLE IS MEANT FOR FUN. IF SOMEONE IS OFFENDED BY THIS ARTICLE, PLEASE CONTACT THE WRITER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE

Today, as promised, we will talk about someth… no, somebody. The surprise is that today we are analysing… Richard!?

The credit goes to himself for this sprite.

Richard, also known as Oscar by cometitive breeders, is part of the legendary trio called "Infernapeloathers", in which he represents the Fire/Fighting Type with mixed offences and excellent bulk, at the cost of speed. He is an excellent competitive battler who also has some deep interest on biology, more in concrete, in cloning, but this is irrelevant. He also sprites (he's winning over you, huh?), but people might not recognise his work very well. An example: me trying to make people come here via Richard's work.

As you can see in the sprite, assuming Blaziken is 1.9 metres tall, we must assume Richard is, more or less, 1.65 metres tall. Fit, with clean, cut hair, and a stunning uniform from the legendary trio, Richard looks menacing, and he is; however, this would not be one of my articles without any kind of jokes, so… forgets things (?). Sometimes?

Now that you have witnessed the virtual part of his, it is time to do something physical. Physical. Does this look like the face of mercy? The cake of mercy? The messed storyline of mercy!? Of course not! The mind behind this bush of coal skull is the one of an evil mastermind! With such a beard, similar to magnificent creatures such as Emboar and Ganondorkf, and, of course, his natural charm, he has been able to obtain many waifus in the course of his life! A feat not even Delicious_Scout has ever achieved with Brave Nature and Cute Charm!

Then you might be wondering: why is he a niche Pokémon? The answer is simple: he nerfs himself in the lower tiers and unleashes his best stats in Übers. This is a sample of his stats:

NU Richard
HP: 101 | Att: 85 | Def: 85 | SpA: 81 | SpD: 85 | Spe: 27

RU Richard
HP: 101 | Att: 95 | Def: 85 | SpA: 90 | SpD: 89 | Spe: 25

UU Richard
HP: 101 | Att: 110 | Def: 95 | SpA: 105 | SpD: 94 | Spe: 5

Oscar
HP: 101 | Att: 120 | Def: 95 | SpA: 120 | SpD: 94 | Spe: 25

Swole Richard
HP: 101 | Att: 155 | Def: 124 | SpA: 150 | SpD: 130 | Spe: 20

I was not lying about getting better stats in exchange of less speed.

In Generation I, Richard, as all of us, was amazed about how glitches could bring us a world of fantasy. However, in Generation II, he encountered his second worst enemy: Stalin Stall. Oh, no!

Generation III gifted Richard one of his best friends, if not the best: Blaziken.

I could go on, but the story is here

Blah, blah, blah… Infernape is an abomination. Blah, blah… hitting 10000 characters soon… blah, blah, blah… let's analyse.

Defeat Simulator 20XX

Oscar @ Burn Heal
Impish Nature (+Banter, -Compassion)
EV: 252 Attack/252 Special Attack/4 Speed
Ability: Intimidate

Bestow/Trick
Foresight
Confuse Ray
Double Team

In competitive battling, Oscar/Richard is the equivalent of Alexwolf in Smogon, hence, an almost granted victory for him. With Intimidate, it will force many switches and ragequits, and so the opponent might need a little help. This is why Bestow and Trick are listed: if you feel generous enough, you will just give a Burn Heal to the opponent, while with Trick you can get, for example, a cool pair of Choice Specs, which are very trendy right now. This is very previsible; nevertheless, you may not know what object the opponent is holding or what exact insults will be directed to you, hence, Foresight is a requirement for further trolling understanding. Confuse Ray might seem counterproductive, but a confused opponent is an easy prey against you and your begging wallet.

After the match, you maybe find yourself with emptiness. Who am I? Why are genetics useful? Cloning, of course. Go to the trade chat room and just use Double Team untill you get all the Pokémon (with a good chance of evading the physical world).

The following EV ensure the opponent is burnt for good damage, and an Impish nature is used for a greater increase in antics. A Sassy nature might be used as well.

Surfin' Blaze

RU Richard @ Assault Vest/Air Balloon
Careful Nature (+Care, - Trouble)
EV: 252 HP/252 SpD/4 SpA
Ability: Pressure

Knock Off
Hyper Voice
Flamethrower
Double Slap

This is the basic forums and chat set. Because sometimes it might be in trouble, or trembling, an Assault Vest is mandatory to enter the zone without taking too much damage. Air Balloon is a reasonable option because it avoids lower attacks, but an overtoned attack might pop it.

Sometimes, people might seem a bit compassive and comprehensive, but others will try to be the Alpha Members. Knock them Off. If that does not work, use your Hyper Voice to rant about why Infernape's manure is a worst way of passing the day!

But often this is not enough. Perhaps there is a cool-blinded guy who boasts about their ability to rant. Use Flamethrower so that they can shut the heck up for once. Curse is not even mentioned because 2fancy4u.

What happens if there is a huge troll who is being constantly fed by attempts of reasonble arguing (or the troll is offered cloned Pokémon in exchange for their slience) there is just an option: Double Spal them until they learn they place: nowhere.

The following spread, along with Pressure, allows the user to keep pressuring the trolls while resisting their hits with ease. Burn Heal, along with Bestow or Trick, is an option again (in exchange for Flamethrower, but Double Slap should be moved to the third slot). A Serious Nature can be used along Joeno with Red Card, such combination allows easy OHKOs against trolls.

Livin' in a (Poké)Box

Swole Richard @ Chesto Berry/Enigma Berry
Adamant nature (+Responsible, -Fun)
EV: 252 HP/124Att/128SpA
Ability: Thick Fat

Pay Day
Endure
Endeavor
Double Team

For our disgrace, the physical-world-based Richard is not as fit as he is, so he decided to fight this fact like a family man. With the help of his girlfriend, he is about to get as ripped as Hariyama Machamp, thus improving his multitasking skills and his ability, which, after some investigation, has revelaed to change to Big Pecks. For such a change, we need currency, so working in a store like a true 'Murican should grant you a nice Pay Day (Base 1,200). Pay Day can also be used on his partner, which she will grantly appreciate like an Espeon receiving Magic Bounce.

However, as a true 'Murican Pokémon Fan, Richard needs Poképleasure. After having split some of that pay, Endure can be used to play Pokémon XXX for hours and hours, while still being able to tell clients to ask the supervisor how much the milk is. If more clients are sent to Richard, or if the Nuzlocke is more annoying than usual, Endeavor will make think twice why they should kill his mood. Finally, after some work and playing, you might as well clone again the clones, so that you can clone the clone clone and thus clone the cloned cloned clone again. Double Team allows you to do that; it has the added benefit of turning yourself into two Richards, so that one can clone the redundant line above-mentioned while the other one has quality time with his partner, firstly Endeavoring, then Enduring, while finally making it paid the effort.

The EV spread is to make him, in general, as bulky as possible, while still punching in the face the customers that keep asking where the Infernape Milk is. The Special Attack is to rant them how superior Blaziken is. An alternative spread of 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Def can be used to use a more girlfriend-friendly approach to your life, although you might end up living in a box. Paralysis support is mandatory, then, to stop these annoying buyers and get a Relaxed nature, while still earning a nice Pay Day.

The items used are simple: Chesto Berry to ensure Richard can keep working for hours, while Enigma berry is a high risk-high reward item, because it can either be hidden aphrodisiac (not this "afro" →  O0) or a berry collected by a Muk.

Richard, the 'Murican Dream Pokémon PKMN.net user. He is going to stay for long. At least, as long as he did. prepare yourselves for an intense battle if you read his articles, and for a lose if you read mine!

So, what do you think about Richard? Should he get banned from Übers? Will my articles offend anyone? Find it out during next Monday!

Schedule for the Next Week:
Monday: Trevenant (OU)
Tuesday: Clawitzer (OU)
Wednesday: Marowak (OU)
Thursday: Ariados (Über)
Friday: Milotic (OU)
Saturday: Dragoncat
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:56 by Delicious_Scout »
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 00:17 »
What did I just read? lmao

I actually can't decide if this is fantastic or not. I'm definitely interested to see the next member version though ^^;

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 05:04 »
...Well this was an unexpected thing to come home to. I don't even know what to say about this. Uhhh... thanks, I think(??)

However, I think this is a more appropriate OU set:

Richard@ Weakness Policy
{Competitive}
Modest nature (+GG, -Ragequitting)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 6 Speed
Future Sight
Counter
Judgement
Final Gambit

Future Sight and Counter work in tandem to allow me to predict your every move and make sure it's ineffective. I use my Judgement to determine the best course of action in picking apart the opposing team. Finally, even when you think you're winning, I've always got a Final Gambit, one last trick to turn the tide of battle back in my favor and ensure your crushing defeat! >8D

...Anyway, looking forward to seeing more members done, although I'm still not sure how to feel after reading mine. xD
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 23:07 »
Erm..... I'm not sure what to say about this.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 23:05 »
You know it: you are the second Infernapeloather legendary. However, in the physical world, your Typing is Steel/Ice, being X4 Weak to Blaziken's and Infernape's STAB. Ah, and you don't like the article.

...Anyway, looking forward to seeing more members done, although I'm still not sure how to feel after reading mine. xD

That's a bit weird, don't you think? As weird as the Pokémon we will analyse today.

Today's Pokémon is a recent addition coming from France Kalos. Give a heart-warming welcome to... Trevenant.

MetaSprite has not released a Trevenant sprite yet.

Due to its overall good appearance, Trevenant has carved itself a niche in many new Pokémon teams. However, it happens to be a mixed bag. Its abilities (Natural Cure, Frisk, and Harvest) call for a defensively oriented Pokémon, and so does its typing (Ghost/Grass), but its stats...

Trevenant
HP: 85 | Attack: 110 | Defence: 76 | Special Attack: 65 | Special Defence: 82 | Speed: 56

... call "bulky offence". The buff of Ghost and Dark attacks is, as well, a mixed reception for our tree. Yes, it has a means to hit Steel Types for STAB, neutral damage (but Bisharp), but now more Pokémon carry these kind of attacks, which means Trevenant will likely take some super effective hits, some even OHKOing it. It has Will-o-Wisp, but its low natural Speed means it might have to invest in Speed, thus reducing its bulk. And, in almost all cases, 110 Attack is not enough, especially uninvested. Moreover, faces comeptition from Jellicent, which can attack and burn at the same time, as well as recover more easily, and even taunt at some decent speed for a wall/tank. However, for some reason, Jellicent (previously OU) is now RU, while Trevenant is UU. Let's move for the sets, from more conventional to more radical.

Standard Special Wall

Trevenant @ Leftovers/Lum Berry/Sitrus Berry
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
EV: 252 HP/252 SpD/4 Att or Def
Ability: Natural Cure/Harvest

Rest/Substitute
Will-O-Wisp
Leech Seed
Shadow Claw/Horn Leech/Phantom Force

This is the standard UU set (well, both of them combined, since they are very similar). If opting for Status Absorption, use Rest and any of the two first fillers, being Leftovers and Natural Cure an option, while Lum Berry plus Harvest is another, with more staying power but less long-run reliability, overall. If you prefer a SubSeeder, use Substitute and any of the two last options, along with Harvest and Sitrus berry, allowing you to get some health or turns (respectively). Nothing original, and it can not Spin Block some heavily invested Tentacruel, Knock Off Donphan with some Speed investment, Excadrill (on the switch it might be burnt, however), and some lucky Starmies.

Talking about Excadrill, while using the Sitrus Berry set, using an Impish nature, along a spread of 252 HP, and, at least, 120 Def, avoid a KO from Adamant, Maximum Attack Excadrill with a Life Orb, assuming the berry is intact. If not, it is a clean 2HKO. That extra turn should be used to burn Excadrill, as Trevenant can not do much against it.

Notice that full HP investment activates Sitrus Berry at exactly 50% of one's health.

Automatic Status Absorber

Trevenant @ Lum Berry
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)/Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
EV: 252 HP/252 SpD/4 Att or Def
Ability: Harvest

Rest
Will-O-Wisp
Leech Seed/Wood Hammer
Phantom Force

This set is a little bit trickier. Because Trevenant will have to use Rest more often, an Impish nature is listed as the first option; although the Special Defence investment might seem weird, this only makes Trevenant a better mixed wall, coupled with Will-O-Wisp and the possible recovery from Leech Horn, although Wood Hammer deals much more damage at the cost of some health. Rest whenever you have low health or a status. If in low health, assuming Lum Berry has not been consumed, Trevenant will wake up immediately, while, if having a status, Trevenant will have to be more careful so that it is not KOed while trying to harvest a berry. Talking about harvesting, Phantom Force is a great way of doing so, with the added bonus of hitting Wish-Protect Pokémon while they have low health if used properly. It is very funny seeing a Sylveon protecting itself for the Wish while you KO it.

This particular Trevenant is VERY susceptible to Knock Off; receiving one will ensure you are almost a liability to your team. If you fear such a thing, the first set is a safer bet, make sure to use Natural Cure, though.

Gravity Abuser

Trevenant @ Lum Berry/Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature (+Att, -SpA)
EV: 252 HP/252 Att/4 SpD or Def
Ability: Harvest

Rest
Will-O-Wisp
Wood Hammer
Earthquake/Shadow Claw/Rock Slide

WARNING! THIS SET HAS NOT BEEN TESTED BY THE AUTHOR YET!

With a base attack 110, Rotom-W roaming everywhere, and some other levitators and flying types, Gravity might be a good option for Trevenant, since it is sturdy and can be used outside Gravity without much fear.

Rest and Will-O-Wisp (which gain perfect accuracy thanks to Gravity) are to make incoming hits softer, while Wood Hammer is non-negotiable; it is too powerful to be used over Horn Leech. The last slot is for punishing common switch-ins that, otherwise, would threaten Trevenant. Earthquake is very powerful and punishes not many but ALL Fire-types of OU (stricly speaking, in BL, Volcarona takes Neutral damage), as well as all Steel Types (except Ferrothorn and Scizor, which take Neutral damage, but are screwed by Will-O-Wisp), Poison Types (Venomoth, although taking Neutral damage, is not very bulky), Rock Types, and Electric Types, Pokémon against which usually Trevenant would not stand a chance. Shadow Claw is the secondary STAB, and it hits some enemies hard, namely Gengar, Megakazam... although they will rarely switch in. Rock Slide is for the same purposes as Earthquake, but outside Gravity. It is, supposedly, a worse option.

This set needs a Grevity user (of course). Landorus-T is very good, since it learns both U-Turn and Explosion, which means that Trevenant can get immediately into the battle without being much harmed. A more offensive approach, specially talking, is Starmie, which can use Thunder, Blizzrd, and Hydro Pump at 100% accuracy. Clefable has a very good defeinse Typing, but has a shared weakness to Poison. Chansey can take most special hits this Trevenant could not, and it is immune to Ghost, a weakness of Trevenant, while Trevenant, in renturn, is immune to Fighting moves. A Spiker or a Stealth Rock user, as well as Sticky Web Support, are highly appreciated.

All Trevenant variants tend to run a neutral-Speed nature, and so they will not outspeed many things unless some Speed is invested (in exchange for either defences). 76/80 Speed EV outspeed Vaporeon and Choice Band Scizor with 0 Speed, 120 EV outspeed 76 EV Choice Band Tyranitar.

As other options, proposed by Bread, a Sitrus+Harvest set with Curse might be a full-stop to set-up Pokémon.

Trevenant, the Tree Pokémon. It is certainly an interesting Pokémon, and it is able to cause some grief if played with care and a hot-headed opponent.

So, what do you think about this log? Should it learn Knock Off and better offensive moves? Support moves? Jokes? Will I find anything good for Clawitzer? Find it out tomorrow!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 23:50 by Delicious_Scout »
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 23:11 »
Sitrus + Harvest is used by Scout and I wish that it would leaf me alone.

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 23:23 »
No, my favourite set is, by far, the Automatic Absorber. And no, I do not grow Sitrus Berries in my fields. And I assure the next Pokémon does not need them.

Today, we are going to review a Pokémon whose ability is semi-unique, but most think it, indeed, unique, but for Mega Blastoise. Here is a present for you... Clawitzer.

MetaSprite, I/we need 6th Generation Pokémon Sprites!

As stated before, Clawitzer is an almost-forgotten Pokémon, which is strange due to its menacing design. Its ability, Mega Launcher, boosts the power of Pulse and Aura moves by 50%, which is devastating. However, another Pokémon, which has been very popular since the original game was released, did get this one ability as well, as a Megaevolution; this is Mega Blastoise. While Blastoise has always been a UU (an achivement quite hard to obtain), Clawitzer started this generation being RU. Let's check the stats of both Pokémon to see why:

Clawitzer
HP: 71 | Attack: 73 | Defence: 88 | Special Attack: 120 | Special Defence: 89 | Speed: 59

Mega Blastoise
HP: 79 | Attack: 103 | Defence: 120 | Special Attack: 135 | Special Defence: 115 | Speed: 78

The fact that Mega Blastoise gets Rapid Spin and the one Clawitzer gets Sword Dance is a cruel joke by Game Freak. Base 73, with such a Speed like that and Defences like those, as well as an ability that boosts some Special Attacks, is nothing to be taken seriously. Nevertheless, it has access to useful Physical moves like Crabhammer, Aqua Jet, and U-Turn.

At first glance, it seems that Mega Blastoise is clearly superior, but a further approach is revealing...

252+ SpA Life Orb Mega Launcher Clawitzer Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 406-478 (105.7 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 340-400 (88.5 - 104.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Yes, Mega Blastoise CAN NOT be equipped an item other than its own Mega Stone, while Clawitzer can use anything (better use something useful, though). It might not be a Spinner, but Clawitzer packs a punch (not to say it does not use a Mega Slot).

Here are the "recommended" sets:

Wallbreaker

Clawitzer @ Choice Specs/Life Orb
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Att)
EV: 252 SpA/252 Speed/4 SpD
Ability: Mega Launcher

Scald/Hydro Pulse
Dark Pulse
Ice Beam/Aura Sphere
Aura Sphere/U-Turn/Hidden Power Fire/Aqua Jet

This is the standard RU set. Using full speed with a Neutral Nature ensures to outspeed uninvested base 90 Pokémon... but not Impish Krookodile. That means one can outspeed Suicune (if one gets lucky, it can flinch with Dark Pulse), Venusaur (same as Suicune), Bulky Dragonite, and Defensive Rotom (although 44 Speed Variants will outspeed you by two points). Choice Specs are the prefered item because they grant you the so-much needed power to break walls, although Life Orb is acceptable if you want to weak stuff off with Aqua Jet. Even a bulky version with Quiet, 0 Speed, and Aqua Jet can work under a Trick Room with the Orb.

Scald can burn the opponent, and so it might help you staying around for a while, because not investing in HP with such good base defences is a shame. If one looks for more power (and h4x), one can opt for Water Pulse. No, Clawitzer does NOT get Hydro Pump. Dark Pulse hits a lot of things in OU for neutral damage, and Aura Sphere completes the almost-unresisted coverage (resisted by Fairies, Heracross, and Toxicroak, the latter getting HP back with Water Attacks). If one is in a dire situation, U-Turn can be used to escape, or Aqua Jet to chip some damage off. Hidden Power Fire maims Scizor and the gang, while Ice Beam deals with Dragons. Note, however, that full Speed with HP Fire will make you TIE with uninvested, neutral-natured base 90 Pokémon.

The support Clwitzer needs is very specific: opponents must be slowed down and/or burtn, so that Clawitzer has a chance of staying around, as well as Hazards' damage. This is especially true seeing this:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 310-366 (88 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

This means Clawitzer needs a layer of Spikes to get a granted kill. However...

0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Clawitzer: 272-324 (96.1 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

So do note support is a necessity in Clawitzer, this is why it is in RU. It needs Wish, Specs, Hazards, and Slow opponents. But it is a very good Wallbreaker, otherwise; it can beat Ferrothorn (as seen), Heatran, Talonflame (which is usually OHKOed, but Clawitzer needs 106 HP to survive a Choice-Banded Brave Bird, though), Mega Absol with any move bar Physical ones and Dark Pulse, Dual Screener Espeon on the Switch (it needs a 2HKO if Light Screen is on, otherwise, it is a OHKO), etc.

As other options, Clawitzer gets Sludge Bomb/Wave, Flash Cannon (NO, don't use that), and... Shadow Ball. Yes, Clawitzer is pretty predictable with those who are familiar with it.

Clawitzer, the Semi-PokéCangrejo. It is a one-trick pony, but this "pony" knows how to pierce armours. The hard way.

So, what do you think about this lobster/crab/shrimp? Is its limited movepool holding it from being a top threat? Is there any other viable set worth using? Will it be able to defeat a +6 SpD Magikarp? It has been to short, this is out of question. Find it out during next issue!

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 00:02 »
It's an impressive looking Pokémon, its stats don't best reflect it =[

it really is impressive how you can find a way to use all these Pokémon in some effect though, it makes interesting reading. Please keep it up =]

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 00:21 »
I really love Clawtizer. Whyyyyy is it not usable. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Slowly an old member..

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 23:14 »
I really love Clawtizer. Whyyyyy is it not usable. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

It is a plain Water Type, its Speed is not very great (although Crawdaunt is somewhat slower), it needs to either Life Orb or Choice Specs, its bulk is not that good, etc.

Notice that one can run Sludge Whatever along Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse for almost perfect coverage, only resisted by Toxicroak. Fairies will want to die on you.

However, it is time to move to the next Pokémon.

Today, Alice's waifu/husbando is here. Please, welcome with a warm round of applause... Marowak.

Finally there is the MetaSprite!

Marowak looks very cute and an average Ground Type, but it is one of the few Pokémon that has been given an exclusive item: Thick Boner. This item is, basically, a free Sword Dance boost, so Marowak's Attack is doubled while still being able to switch move, unlike Choice Band (which is a Meditate Boost). But... can Marowak make good use of this item? Lightningrod, Rock Head, and Battle Armor are all good abilities to have, especially the first in Doubles and the second while using Double-Edge, although the Third would be useful if CritDra did not have access to STAB Water attacks. What about its stats?

Marowak
HP: 60 | Attack: 80 | Defence: 110 | Special Attack: 50 | Special Defence: 80 | Speed: 45

Base 80 Attack might not seem very high, but Marowak, assuming an Adamant nature and maximum Attack investment, can reach 568 Attack (factoring Thick Bone). This means that almost nothing enjoys switching on Marowak. An added bonus is that Volt Turn does not work on it, since it is a pure Ground type, and Bugs can be roasted by using Fire Punch. However, base 60 HP and 45 Speed are holding it back from being a top threat (it was in Generation II, though, being the hardest hitter in OU and the game, then moves to BL, and sunk to NU).

As usual, let's review a slow Pokémon (guess what kind of support it will need...).

Azumarill (Beta)

Marowak @ Thick Bone
EV: 248 HP/252 Att/8 Spe
Ability: Battle Armor/Rock Head

Earthquake/Bonemerang
Stone Edge/Double-Edge
Fire Punch/Thunder Punch/Substitute
Knock Off/Sword Dance

As Granbull, Marowak needs serious prediction to play. They even have almost the same coverage, but they play differently. While Granbull prefers supporting and risking it more (using a Choice Band), Marowak can Switch moves against slow threats and break a wall more reliable, although it will likely switch out after its job is done. The first slot is the STAB of choice: Earthquake murders Pokémon without any kind of accuracy issues, while Bonemerang, at the cost of 90% accuracy, can destroy Substitues and hit. Stone Edge ends the "StoneQuake" combo, while maiming most Flying types. Double-Edge can be used for more damage, at the cost of not being able to hit anything for Super Effective damage (make sure to use Rock Head while using this move).

The last two moves are hard to choose. Fire Punch eliminates Steel types that are either neutral or immune to your Ground STAB, while Thunder Punch still deals the same damage to Skarmory, threatens most Flying types, and hurts for heavy damage bulky Water types that might want to counter Marowak. Substitute, on the other hand, is very useful if one predicts a good switch, although this will rarely happen. Knock Off is the almighty move, crippling almost every Pokémon, but Sword Dance almost ensures no Pokémon will be able to switch on Marowak.

8 EV in Speed outspeed Conkeldurr, while almost OHKO it. Be careful, though, because it can use a combo of Ice Punch + Mach Punch to finish you off. 248 allow to switch into rocks more times and 252 in Attack for maximum damage. However, 88 EV in Speed allow you to outspeed Blissey, 136 for Choice Specs Sylveon (with a high chance of OHKOing it with your Ground STAB), and 140/144 for Negative-natured, support
Mega Tyranitar; 212 or 216 are for Neutral-Natured, minimum Speed ones.

As usual on these analyses, Hazard and Paralysis Support is very appreciated, especially for Substitute + Sword Dance Marowaks. Nevertheless, they hit already so hard that a neutral Stone Edge can clearly OHKO an Absol. A Trick Room sweeping set is very viable; use a Brave nature, then, with 0 IV in Speed.

Marowak, the Q.T. Pokémon. It requires support and love, and it knows very well how to return your investment; in form of defeat for your opponents.

So, what do you think about Marowak? Will we ever ship Gardevoir with Marowak? Will Alice post here anytime soon? Can this thing wreck other highly-boosted Pokémon? More in the next issue!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 23:41 by Delicious_Scout »

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 23:19 »
Another interesting article, when making a TR team I considered Marowak because of that lack of speed. Good stuff though =]

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 23:24 »
I remember this Thick Bone glitch in G/S/C if you didn't raise it right. The result: Its attack stat wouldn't keep going like it should, it would wrap around to something hilarious like 8.

Offline Raphetty

• Streetpasser Extraordinaire
  • Name Rater Hater
  • 54 Mii Plaza Accomplishments; 924 Plaza Population
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 11:27 »
I remember this Thick Bone glitch in G/S/C if you didn't raise it right. The result: Its attack stat wouldn't keep going like it should, it would wrap around to something hilarious like 8.

Yes, if you used Swords Dance on Thick Club (to give it its proper name) Marowak, and its Attack stat would reach 1024 or higher, the stat would wrap around, becoming 0 or higher. This was fixed in Generation 3.

3DS FC: 3067 - 6449 - 6265 ... Sun trainer name: Rafipi ... X trainer name: Brennica
Omega Ruby trainer name: Moga ... Alpha Sapphire trainer name: Rosella

Offline The Shrub Dragon

• so this one time i put milk in the kettle
  • Joeno Fan
  • uh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 17:10 »
he's gave me an article on marowak awww <3

it was an interesting read as well - thanks scout

thanks gl <3

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 23:11 »

Here is the full story. I am glad Alice has commented, since I doubt I will ever write about Gardevoir (Richard will, though). Time for a new Übermon.

Today, I am going to introduce the "bug" of nightmares, the sucking spider (spiders are not bugs, after all). Let me introduce Ariados to you.

Thanks to MetaSprite, this Ariados looks like what I want it to look like.

First, let's take a look at its stats:

Ariados
HP: | 70 Attack: 90 | Defence: 70 | Special Attack: 60 | Special Defence: 60 | Speed: 40   

It has a total of 390 BST (Base Stat Total). Just for you to make an idea, Mega Mewtwo X and Y double Ariados' BST. With three apparently useless abilities in Insomnia, Swarm, and Sniper, one might question why it should be ever used even in an NU team. Perhaps reviewing its story...

Back in Generation II, Ariados had Baton Pass and... its counterpart, Ledian, did not happen to be stellar. It ended being UU. Through all Generations forth, it has been NU, but in Generation IV it got a very-well defined (although forgotten) niche in Übers: it was the only Pokémon wich access to Insomnia, a Priority move (two, in fact), Toxic Spikes, and a means to hurt Darkrai; that means a reckless Darkrai would use Dark Void (or even lock itself if using a Choice Scarf) and Ariados would either 2HKO it or set up Toxic Spikes. However, in Generation V, more Pokémon that resisted its STAB, as well as the addition of Excadrill as a Spinner, made its life a tale of the past. But, in Generation VI, it received two major buffs, at the cost of another one; Ariados now has access to Megahorn and the ever-useful Sticky Web, at the cost of the buffed defoggers.

Will Ariados do it again? Will Ariados KO n00bs and successfully aid its teammates?

2 Hazards 1 Spider

Ariados @ Focus Sash
EV: 252 HP/252 Att/4 Def
Ability: Insomnia

Megahorn
Sucker Punch/Shadow Sneak/Pursuit
Shadow Sneak/Sticky Web/Toxic Spikes
Sticky Web/Toxic Spikes

No, this is not a joke of any sort. These calculations will slighty reinforce my argument:

252+ Atk Ariados Megahorn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Darkrai: 366-432 (129.7 - 153.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Ariados Megahorn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mewtwo: 366-432 (103.3 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Ariados Megahorn vs. 164 HP / 0 Def Latias: 366-432 (107 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Ariados Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Deoxys-S: 258-306 (84.8 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Ariados Megahorn vs. 164 HP / 0 Def Mega Latias: 288-338 (84.2 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Ariados Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Deoxys-D: 222-264 (73 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Ariados Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Dark: 288-338 (64.8 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Achieving a OHKO against a Soul Dew Latias (not arrived yet) is an impressive feat. Although it is weak to Psychic, Ariados can hurt many common Pokémon in Über and still be able to do something decent. Megahorn should always be used over X-Scissor because Ariados will rarelly get a second chance to hit. For those that want to either hit or flee, Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch, and Pursuit are in Ariados' offensive arsenal, hitting for decent damage (athough do not overestimate its power). A mention to Night Shade for dealing consistent damage, especially to enemies with low HP and no reliable recovery, mostly because Ariados will not be able to outspeed them. Foul Play is also a valid option for an emergency kill.

The Hazards are tricky. One can opt for both hazards (Sticky Web and Toxic Spikes)... if you happen to have balls of steel; Ariados will likely be KOed after sending the second layer of Hazards. In these cases, Sticky Web is Ariados' niche, and it is not easily removed by Poison types, but Toxic Spikes are always handful for bulky or stall teams. When should they be laid down? Whenever you do not see any Psychic or Dark type in the opposition, as well as their support is more important than KOing some target. It takes many sessions to use properly, do not despair.

Focus Sash should always be used, and, in order to keep it intact, Ariados should enter the field without any kind of Hazard on its field; this is why it is best used as a lead, competing with Mewtwo, which will likely try to OHKO you or even Calm Mind in front of you, and Darkrai, which must attack you in order not to lose momentum, or else it will likely be KOed by Ariados; despite this, Substitute Darkrai variants can outsmart Ariados in shenanigans by letting it set up some Hazards, while it can attack behind the Substitute, not to say Darkrai can get lucky and not be hit by Megahorn.

One should not forget about Ariados' second STAB, Poison, which hurts Geomancy Xerneas for solid damage, letting it act as an emergency check.

252+ Atk Ariados Poison Jab vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 224-266 (53.4 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

But...

252+ Atk Ariados Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Arceus-Fairy: 192-228 (43.2 - 51.3%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO

... it is not listed because there are few Fairies, and one of the most important Fairies, Arceus-Fairy, can Recover on Ariados' helpless attacks (it shoud worry about Poison damage, though), and Steel Types are not a rare sight in Über.

Do not even bother investing in Speed: Ariados already outspeeds many slow Steel Types, and the additional Speed does not grant any significant benchmark to be compared with.

Ariados, the Spoder (not Spider) Pokémon. Killing an enemy with this is a great way of starting to win, due to the fact that it brings chaos and depression to the opponent's mind.

So, what do you think about Ariados? Will it "gain" again its "former" "glory"? Will it get a Mega Evolution? Don't miss the next issue!