Author Topic: Paris Attacks  (Read 3785 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
Paris Attacks
« on: November 14, 2015, 13:37 »
For the record not really looking for any debates or I would have created a topic there...

Yesterday there were several sieges on France's capitol. There's been 9 attackers accounted for, 8 suicide bombers and one assailant who has been killed. At the time of writing this, 127 people have died from the attack. I'm sure you guys all know. I found out at a hockey game yesterday from my friend and I couldn't believe the size of the attack. We all had a moment of silence in the arena for the victims.

What concerns me is that David Cameron seems concerned that the UK is going to be the next to be attacked. I really hope that's not the case, and there won't be any more senseless violence. I'll be keeping all of the European members in my thoughts.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 13:50 by Kpyna »

Offline Sizacu

• Sentret Fan
  • hello everyone
    • View Profile
Re: Paris Attacks
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 16:12 »
Yeah... I found out about this today on the bus to my volunteering place. It makes me angry and worried both for Parisians and myself. Granted I live in outer London, but it's still worrying when I go visit Central on Sundays, you know? Really hope the attacks don't spread over to England, but after some guy got arrested for holding on to two guns in Gatwick airport today...

Captivating Radiant Elegant Serene Seraphic Enchanting Lovely Immortal Adorable

Are you interested in spriting, or improving it?

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 16:29 »
 Germany will probably be next.

Britain is unlikely tbh but the other European countries are likely to see some tragedies.

Not being funny, it's actually really annoying to see this happening on our Frenchfam's soil. They target innocent civilians who can't defend themselves too? "For Syria!" was apparently shouted.

Offline The Macintosh Ninja: SOH CAH TOA

• PUK's original ninja. So zetta slow!!
  • Sentret Fan
  • Look, I finally changed my avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 17:51 »
Heard about the attacks on the news.
The world has gone mad. Things like this shouldn't be happening as often as they do. My sympathies for the families and those affected by this.

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 20:06 »
Allegedly a man has been arrested at Gatwick with a firearm. Anywhere could be next, it's all extremely tragic and condolences go out to those affected.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 22:57 »
Death toll I heard last was 160+.

You don't wanna hear my views on this unless you really like my rants about white privilege and the messed up culture in the west.  All I know is that there's too much war mongering in the world that this won't be handled rationally.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 23:24 »
 Please don't say the Frenchfams were asking to be massacred and executed via explosives whilst trying to enjoy a friendly football game.

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 23:34 »
I think it's respectful if we don't share our views on "why" given it just happened. It's not going to do anything but make people upset at this point in time.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 23:45 »
Please don't say the Frenchfams were asking to be massacred and executed via explosives whilst trying to enjoy a friendly football game.
Luckily, that's nothing close to what my view is.  This event is a horrid attack resulting from years of every side mishandling the other.  There is a fairly singular cause but all reactions that followed it have been horrific at best.

The terrorists aren't the only evil here.  That's all I'm going to hint at.  Look at the Islamophobia being plastered all over the news and the Islamophobia that's been plastered all over the news over the years.  In a way, the people who died in France just now were victims of corrupt western media and corrupt eastern extremism, and both of those things have fed off each other.  This has led to many incidents like the one that just occurred.

I can go more into it if you want.  But don't, for even a microsecond, imply that I'm doing any sort of victim blaming or saying people deserved to die.  Nobody deserved to die.

EDIT:  I've also heard ISIS has threatened Russia.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 23:55 by Lord Raven »

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 00:12 »
 Man, I'm just glad that you're not one of those Tumblr plebs who spout "SCREW WHITEY" at any chance they get. Yeah, I get you. Islamaphobia has been pushed through our media for years.

I was seriously hoping you weren't going to copy and paste some article from Tumblr lol.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 00:24 »
I don't think those people are "tumblr plebs" but I am going to say that white privilege and white superiority is also a factor in all of this.

The idea of Islamophobia basically appeals to a standard white household.  Furthermore, this whole idea of white superiority is another cause of this whole nonsense, and this is pushed by politicians and also felt by minorities who are in majority white areas.  Case in point:  the fact that you were ready to call me a tumblr pleb over bringing up the fact that white privilege is a small part of this.

Also thinking our way of life and government is superior to the east when sometimes they do have a stable government - not necessarily democracy - is another cause of this.  And the idea of Islamophobia is spread among what amounts to white people as well.

I know someone who lives in France and she has seen many tweets from reporters that are basically like "this is all due to the mosqu-ification of France."

You may think that, sure, not all white people are the same.  And this is true.  But the idea is that the entire white "culture" being inherently superior and attempting to "modernize" eastern culture based upon white "culture" is perpetuated quite strongly.  People may not mean it, people may just be ignorant.  There's also a good chunk of white people who are racist and homophobic, the numbers being higher than you are probably aware.  But in general the idea of white privilege and western superiority is a factor in all of this.

If you take a moment to step back and read stuff on tumblr (well, the less acidic stuff, because there is a lot of acidity on tumblr regardless of which side you are on) with an open mind instead of assuming it's all the same crap you'll see the point in there.

EDIT:  I can sense you were very close to using SJW as an insult to label me or something.  I would avoid that if I were you, because the acronym "SJW" perpetuates ignorance.  Some people take things to extremes but that doesn't mean that they don't have a point.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 00:48 by Lord Raven »

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 06:48 »
lol muhed go OFF!!!!!
I essentially came here to say the same stuff you were, down to the sjw-as-an-insult and assuming tumblr doesn't know what it's talking about

This, coupled with the white supremacist ideology behind the #jesuischarlie campaign - Charlie hebdo was racist, not a hero or a cornerstone of free speech, don't come near me with that narrative - are heavily based around white privilege. Remember that France is notorious for anti-Islam sentiment and violence, as well as anti-semetic. Europe as a whole is built on the violence towards non white people and colonialism as a whole. I'm not victim blaming either, I'm blaming the media who use these attacks to perpetuate the stereotype of All Brown People Are Bloodthirsty Terrorists. France - Charlie hebdo included - pushed this stereotype through their media, and as a result, attacks like these happen.

I do feel sympathy for France, but I feel stronger sympathy for the Non white people living in France and Europe as a whole as a result of these attacks. The media will be pushing the terrorist stereotype harder than usual in these coming days, or weeks, and the media will barely touch upon the anti-Muslim violence and hate speech, because they are not white.

Keep an eye on the fact the media will sympathise with the Poor White Country being invaded by these BARBARIANS, but speak almost nothing of the fact countries with barely a white population being invaded by white countries and treated the same as the people in France were. The victims here are white, and it's down to the media on how this will hurt non white people in the long run.

I'm not sure i worded any of this right. I'm really tired and on mobile, but I have mixed feelings about this entire thing. Sympathy of course, but dread for the affect it will have on innocent Muslims the media will paint as villains in a very direct way.

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 10:49 »
rumours of attacks of London, Rome and Washington DC have made me pretty unsettled. I'm actually going to London in two weeks so you can probably see why I'm so freaked out haha

I watched this unfold on the news (even though it was midnight at the time) and I just... I hate the fact humans are like this. I hate the fact we judge each other by skin/religion. I feel for the French - those who witnessed the attack, lost relatives or are just plain French - but also for the billions of innocent Muslims who are being lumped in with 8 complete, utter arseholes who decided to besmirch the name of a peaceful religion for their own gain.

I said to my mum I knew that they some had probably come across as refugees - and that they won't be the last sleeper agents to do this. People are trying to flee war that ISIS/Daesh are fuelling, and they're sending men willing to die for a twisted cause and take out as many people as possible with them? It's messed up.

EDIT: One was identified as a French Muslim, and another supposedly had a Syrian passport that the Greek's had on the refugee system
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:42 by Shaymin »

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 18:13 »
 Lord Raven, I didn't call you a Tumblr pleb. You know that I didn't call you a Tumblr pleb. What's with the weird aggression? I didn't aim any insult at you until now and that's because you just come off as twisted and bitter because I didn't actually throw any personal insults. You're appear to be looking for a legitimate argument that could potentially turn nasty.

You proceeded to argue with me despite me not actually engaging you seriously until now. Maybe you lost your cool because you (evidently) thought that I was trying to passively insult you and that's understandable. If you thought I was trying to insult you on a Pokemon forum then maybe you should have messaged me personally instead of arguing with someone who wasn't interested in talking to you.

SJW is an insult and for the most part because Tumblr regurgitates the same toxic crap without looking at the actual facts. Like when you (Sylar) thought Elliot Rodgers exclusively killed women because that's what you read on Tumblr. Obviously you'll find less-subjective material on Tumblr but generally it's highly subjective and that's why it should never be used as a news source (the same goes for 4Chan).

France is sympathised with because they're in the EU and they're Britain's allies. It's not some conspiracy. They're receiving coverage and attention because there has been a terrorist attack in a country and that attack specifically targeted unarmed civilians who had no means to defend themselves. There was no possible way for these civilians to defend themselves against guns and explosives. It's not even difficult hard to understand.

The deaths of over 100 civilians shouldn't be used an excuse to argue on the internet. Grow some integrity.

I'm not going to continue arguing with either of you. This is it. If either of you have a problem with me or my opinions then you can message me.

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 18:34 »
SJW is an insult

sjw just means u care about ppl and want to help change the world... how dat an insult

also lol quit denying its literally white privilege? thats what it is? u said it yourself; paris is in the eu, the eu is primarily white, paris is primarily white with a history of anti islam violence. were not looking for excuses, were trying to point out that this is an act of white violence. just because you refuse to believe white privilege happens doesnt mean it isnt happening here.

also nice job bringing up stuff i said months ago. i got my info before it came out that hed killed men too. his act of violence was based on misogyny, but that isnt what were debating here.

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ