Author Topic: sky broadband  (Read 1026 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
sky broadband
« on: July 10, 2017, 00:12 »
a general question to the room - to those of yall who have sky broadband as your ISP, have you been experiencing garbage an insane amount of bottlenecking in the past month or so??? we're paying for fibre optic and getting speeds of less than 1MB (fibreoptic is supposed to be like, 20MBs)

Offline not chloe

• Mulholland Fan
  • never more than 3 hours away from public meltdown
    • View Profile
Re: sky broadband
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 12:15 »
We're not on Sky (We're with TalkTalk but this makes no difference) and also have BT Fibre Optic

We still get the worst of slow speeds despite the fibre optic because we're so far away from the fibre optic hub (like a box in your neighbourhood with a fibre optic sticker on it that powers everyone in your area's wifi). Anyway we've been told that the position of our house in relation to the hub is the issue for it. That could be your prob so I guess you should just move house ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Credit to Inferna for the teacup Chatot
surPrISE

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 13:14 »
I'm with Utility Warehouse and been getting some slow download speeds lately.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 18:24 »
We're not on Sky (We're with TalkTalk but this makes no difference) and also have BT Fibre Optic

We still get the worst of slow speeds despite the fibre optic because we're so far away from the fibre optic hub (like a box in your neighbourhood with a fibre optic sticker on it that powers everyone in your area's wifi). Anyway we've been told that the position of our house in relation to the hub is the issue for it. That could be your prob so I guess you should just move house ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
thing is where i live they're making extra efforts to bring Real Good Fibre Optic (cause of Airbus), but I've been snooping and it seems lots of sky customers are suffering with crappy bottlenecks. i would complain to sky themselves but my name isn't on the bill so they're unlikely to listen orz

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 02:16 »
when you say Real Good Fibre Optic do you mean "Fibre Optic where its actually Fibre Optic right to the modem" or "hell fibre optic we all actually got in broadband hellhole uk where its fibre optic up to the local neighbourhood internet exchange thingy but still the same crappy old copper wire up to your house i.e. you plug it into the phoneline"

if you plug it into the phoneline then its going through copper wire at some point and isn't ACTUALLY true fibre optic. the phoneline copper is garbage for fast internet speeds as any internet networking nerd will tell you and the further you live from something called a "DSLAM" (edit: idk if theyd use a DSLAM for fibre optic????????? maybe im wrong. the shame of beth not knowing. aaghhhguguuuguguuugugughghhhh) the more crappy copper wire it'll have to travel through and the slower it'll get. its basically Treacle for internet

even if you get BT out to have a look at the bit between the local internet station and your house & they find no faults/neglible faults they charge YOU for the callout so you have to be 100% sure there is a Provable Fault on the line. they stack the cards against you so you just give up and begrudgingly pay them loads of money for slow internet. capitalism!!!!!!!!!!!!

that said i am not sure how it goes in the days of pseudo-fibre optic but back in the adsl days they had a bunch of things they could try so hella yell outside ur parents door or by a marching band bass drum and bang on it non stop until they give in and do something about it
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:25 by lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes »