Author Topic: Feedback wanted for XY Singles Team  (Read 1259 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Lexidius

• BlackStatic
  • Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
    • FurAffinity
Feedback wanted for XY Singles Team
« on: August 10, 2014, 13:09 »
Hey look, I found a reason to post on the forums again.
If I mess up in this board/thread somehow please let me know, I'm new to competitive~

Only just picked it up on Pokemon Showdown due to the fact I can't afford a 3DS easily and my old DS Original is lost in the sands of time. TL;DR Showdown will have to do for now.

Rambling aside, here's a basic copypaste of my team so far. Intended for Showdown's XY Battle Spot Singles and/or general use in OU. Most everything is adapted from Smogon's BW and XY entries, with a few being inspired from youtube movesets. Not sure how my resistance/coverage is either.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Protect
- Spore

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 244 HP / 132 Atk / 120 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick

Salamence @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Protect
- Hydro Pump

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 200 HP / 148 Def / 160 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Spe
- Psych Up
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Hyper Voice

I guess where I'm trying to go with this is singles over anything, using Breloom to my advantage and leeching health while the opponent is asleep. If they have Overcoat or are otherwise immune to Spore, that's what Froslass and Spikes are for.
I was planning to have Salamence and Arcanine as my defences, backing up Froslass and Breloom respectively. Draco Meteor or Hydro Pump are my intended way of dealing with Talonflame, although I might swap out Fire Blast and Protect for something else to provide better coverage (given Arcanine is my fire-based tank and Breloom already has Protect, which it needs to set up Spore).
Toxicroak's main STAB is Gunk Shot, boosted by Poison Touch. Low Kick is intended for anything big and bulky, although I did consider swapping Froslass for Weavile. Problem there is, I don't have my resistances as a ghost type.
Sylveon is essentially security for Salamence, although could I seriously considered throwing Baton Pass on instead of Calm Mind and making them more of a stat passer. But this doesn't make much sense if both Breloom and Toxicroak are inflicting negative stat changes?

Hoping I explained my ideas well enough. Suggestions for different mon and movesets are appreciated, although I'm definitely hoping to keep Arcanine and Breloom in there.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 19:29 by Kurone »

Lex | 23 | He/They| Aus | 2008 member

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback wanted for XY Singles Team
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 13:34 »
A heads-up, don't call your Pokémon after what they will do; this is a huge disadvantage for you.

Breloom and Froslass are fine, but I have some doubts regarding the others.

Arcanine is the most evident one. If it is meant to be bulky, then Intimidate is the superior option, since it makes it a harder tank (although I would not use Arcanine in OU). Toxicroak, given this set, is meant to work in a Rain Team with Dry Skin, and you don't have any rain support, not to say that, if you use Bulk Up, you are better off using Drain Punch to recover health, especially when using substitute (Toxicroak does not force a lot of switches, though). If you want a Special Dragon, then Hydreigon offers you better Special Attack, better Coverage, not a need to use Protect (don't use that much protect), a visible spread in your text (you did not write it, I assume it is 4 Def, 252 Spa, 252 Spd with Timid) at the cost to go from 100 base speed to 98; moreover, it has U-Turn, which can be useful for Scouting. I don't understand why you want to use that EV spread without using any HP, and what's fine with Psych Up, but it looks solid.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 16:30 by Delicious_Scout »
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 13:59 »
When Salamence goes special, there are two sets I'd use. One is too offensive to be used in the defensive role you're using it, but I would suggest this:

Salamence @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 SpA
Timid Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Draco Meteor / Hydro Pump
- Tailwind / Toxic / Defog

The important thing with defensive Salamence sets is to play them to their strengths. Why are you using Salamence? Why not Dragonite? Why not Latias? That's what you need to ask yourself. Using Defog in the last set means you are generally inferior to latias, having lower defences and speed with Intimidate being your only saving grace, but Salamence running Hydro Pump is an excellent Landorus-Therian lure. Wish & Protect is brilliant for your largely defensive team, and leftovers provide a tiny bit of recovery that you'll love. Draco Meteor or Hydro Pump comes down to whether you want to attack most things well or be primarily a Landorus-T lure (and Landorus might cause your team a few problems). The last slot is largely down to what you need. Tailwind is a useful support option that differentiates Salamence from Latias and gives your largely slow team a much needed boost. Toxic gives Salamence the ability to wear down walls like Blissey that generally T-Wave it instead of toxic and finally defog removes rocks, prolonging Arcanines ability to switch in, but I don't like it on Salamence as it's weak to stealth rock and so doesn't like switching in to remove them.

I'll rate the rest later maybe, but I just thought I'd help on the Salamence front, as yours is running a set heavily outclassed by Hydreigon and even Dragonite (who has a superior defensive ability)
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Lexidius

• BlackStatic
  • Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 19:28 »
A heads-up, don't call your Pokémon after what they will do; this is a huge disadvantage for you.
I should have clarified, sorry, I only gave the names there for the purpose of posting in this topic - you know, as a way to better describe what I intended to do. In-battle they won't have nicknames.

>Arcanine [...] Intimidate
> Toxicroak Rain Team with Dry Skin [...] Drain Punch
> Hydreigon offers you better Special Attack, better Coverage [...] U-Turn
Will do my research on Hydreigon then, thank you.

Salamence @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 SpA
Timid Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Draco Meteor / Hydro Pump
- Tailwind / Toxic / Defog
Noted, thank you.

Lex | 23 | He/They| Aus | 2008 member

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 15:55 »
If you're looking for a defensive dragon, may I suggest Multiscale Dragonite (as RubyRobin did). It's not the fastest, but with roost and leftovers, it can keep health up. At full health, it takes half damage from any and all attacks. However, Stealth Rock is a bit of a spoiler there, so spinner/defogger support is generally good. I do not have a set as of now, so you'll have to ask someone else.

For a special wall, I'd suggest heatran because it still resists dragons, but also has flash fire, giving you a key immunity to switch in on.

Heatran @Leftovers/Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
252 HP/ 4 SpA/ 252 SpD
Calm Nature

Lava Plume
Ancient Power (Basically for talonflame)
Toxic/Roar/Stealth Rock
Toxic/Roar/Stealth Rock

I'd recommend Toxic and Roar, although SR is an option if you don't have another pokemon running it.

Along side it, something that resists/is immune to ground is a great partner to this heatran. Something that resists water also helps out. This is where Multiscale Dragonite comes into play, since it resists water and is immune to ground. It will take reduced from water, which is reduced ever farther if you are at full health. Heatran can absorb those ice beams that scare dragonite out.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Raphetty

• Streetpasser Extraordinaire
  • Name Rater Hater
  • 54 Mii Plaza Accomplishments; 924 Plaza Population
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 10:00 »
Sylveon is essentially security for Salamence, although could I seriously considered throwing Baton Pass on instead of Calm Mind and making them more of a stat passer. But this doesn't make much sense if both Breloom and Toxicroak are inflicting negative stat changes?

How are Breloom and Toxicroak inflictng negative stat changes? Baton Pass would be usable, but I think you're probably better off using a standard Sylveon set which can be found on Smogon, such as the Cleric or Choice Specs set. If you want a Calm Mind set, you're probably better off using Clefable, which has 2 awesome abilities as well as single turn recovery.

3DS FC: 3067 - 6449 - 6265 ... Sun trainer name: Rafipi ... X trainer name: Brennica
Omega Ruby trainer name: Moga ... Alpha Sapphire trainer name: Rosella