Ampharos
7 (13.2%)
Mawile
7 (13.2%)
I like it all
5 (9.4%)
This is a completely idiotic and stupid idea
9 (17%)
I like one of them, just not one listed.
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: October 07, 2013, 17:04

Author Topic: New Mega Evolutions  (Read 20166 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Meowstic Royalty

• Cats.
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • WARNING: DORK
    • View Profile
Re: New Mega Evolutions
« Reply #210 on: October 14, 2013, 20:47 »
(Tablet working again, YESSSS)

I still await Mega Scrafty... I really need to get X and Y. After I get a 3DS.

Needs more Gengar

Offline Ledyba

• Judge, Jury, and Executioner | <3 Kelly!!
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 18, 2013, 08:27 »
Mega Heracross! it is glorious.

I was gonna get X but since it's a Y execlusive,  I'm going to switch.

Unless you can trade stones.  HMMM.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 18, 2013, 09:05 »
You can trade Mega Stones! It just might be difficult to find someone willing to part with one, but you can definitely trade Mega Stones :>
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 18, 2013, 21:05 »
Oooooh, the base stats are hella huge.

Heracross has monstrous stats...185 base attack is insane. Mewtwo has 194 special attack too, and Alakazam is just...175 base special attack and 150 speed. Talk about powerful.

Also, I am really enjoying Lucario's Mega ingame, it's so fun to Mega Evolve and then smash face. Charizard's Mega Evo X has an amazing cry too.

Offline Webby

• Don't come back up unless you're wearing a pussy moustache!
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 20, 2013, 12:18 »
So, is anyone particularly sold on any of these Mega Evolutions? Some of them are pretty damn lethal, or at least are huge improvements on old Pokémon.

Mega Mawile with base 105 attack and Huge Power is both a Dragon and Fairy slayer, and its pitiful base 50 speed can be mitigated by Sucker Punch and Pursuit. And if you de-Mega Evolve, you can use Intimidate on every switch in. And Steel/Fairy is amazing defensive typing (despite Steel being nerfed by no longer resisting Dark)

Mega Pinsir, unlike other Bug/Flying types is not double weak to Stealth Rock on switching in, and with Aerilate, it effectively gets Brave Bird out of Double Edge, and Qyick Attack becomes Flying type Priority. And it also gets Close Combat. So Mega Pinsir could be interesting, if a little predictable.

Mega Lucario has Adaptability Mach Punch and Bullet Punch. Need I say more?

And Shadow Tag Mega Gengar could be dangerous too.

"i hope you get niall bursting out of a tower cake singing "happy birthday mr president" and he's wearing a "miss america 2013" sash while giving you a 3 hour lapdance"

Offline Joe_Pokemon2015- MEGA RAYQUAZA!

• Gen. Giratina: Leader of the Pokemon International Movement. Ternyata semuanya lupa negera Korea...
  • Joeno Fan
  • Giratina: Giygogagohgwooh! to QC for this avatar
    • View Profile
    • Check out my deviantART page! It has Pokemon!
« Reply #215 on: October 20, 2013, 12:43 »
So is there some stone to make Mawile into Mega Mawile?

Though I am a bit disappointed that there isn't a version-exclusive Mega Blastoise or Mega Venusaur like Mega Charizard has.

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 20, 2013, 14:16 »
Sorry about the long post following, but in response to Webby, here are the only ones I'm excited about for the OU tier. Skip if you're uninterested, and again, I apologize:

Mega Venusaur is decent enough, I think it'll have a place somewhere, and has only a few exploitable weaknesses.

Mega Charizard Y will be popular on Drought team. Requires a spinner to be even remotely effective, but base 159 Sp. Attack will definitely see some use. Mega Charizard X has real potential with Dragon Dance boosting his base 100 Speed and buffing his nice base 130 Attack stat, while giving him a great offensive and good defensive typing.

Gengar looks like it could easily face a ban, even with the slight nerf to Shadow Tag, it's just too easy to revenge weakened threats with that base 130 Speed and 150 Sp. Attack. Zam will see a lot of use if it isn't banned, as it returns to the glory days of RBY where it has nearly unrivaled power and Speed in the OU tier. Trace is really interesting too, it could be a determining factor in many matchups.

Gyarados is hard to determine, but his new type is welcomed for sure. Not too sure what he'll bring to the table. Aerodactyl looks like it could see some real use this generation, though, since Tough Claws boosts a bunch of his moves to great or good levels of power. Scizor will be OU, enough said.

Mega Tyranitar... oh God this thing is going to be ridiculous. Absurdly high defenses in Sand and 164 base Attack... this is terrifying. Low Speed is low, but it's never stopped Tyranitar in the past. Loss of Leftovers could be an issue here, but I imagine it'll play like Choice Band Tyranitar with better defenses and the ability to switch moves.

Mega Blaziken is OP, but is he really with all the new Megas running around with insane Speed? Still, nothing can theoretically switch into any move he has access to, possibly even 2HKOing Slowbro after Stealth Rock with Shadow Claw off unboosted Attack (no calcs done, don't quote me on this). But the straw that breaks the camel's back is that Speed Boost and Baton Pass are legal on Blaziken now, since MegaKen has Speed Boost regardless of what normal Blaziken has.

Mawile has a nice niche, but it's yet to be seen how well it will perform. Remember, you're giving up something like Mega Alakazam to put a stop to Dragons and Fairys, the first of which will take a major hit in basically not having Outrage as a viable option anymore.

Mega Aggron. Filter. Dat Defense stat. I don't even know, Aggron looks like he could really be dangerous this time around. Loses STAB on Head Smash, as well as recoil-free Head Smash, but... base 230 Defense is kinda nuts.

Medicham has like... the highest unboosted Attack stat in the game after Pure Power or close to it? Base 100 Speed, but it has access to Bullet Punch and Fake Out, so that's something.

Manectric will have a lot more use this time around with huge Volt Switches, and he has tons of really awesome moves like Overheat and stuff that works well with Volt Switch's ability to do damage while escaping. Really excited to try him out.

Banette has Prankster and high Attack, so that'll be interesting to see what it does. Absol's Magic Bounce is great, until you factor in horrible defenses. Still, bounces status moves, so that's cool I guess. SD Luke will make a comeback this gen for sure.

Abomasnow fights back with some pretty good boosts to Ice and Hail in general this time around, but base 30 Speed is like... wow, you'll win weather wars until you have to actually battle something. Hope it doesn't have a Fire move and doesn't resist Ice Shard.

...You'll probably think twice about asking no one in particular next time. :<

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 20, 2013, 22:30 »
I basically beat the game with Blaziken alone. Except for Siebold's battle, winning against the Elite Four and Diantha was too easy. The first time I only used two Pokemon with the others as decoys if I had to use a Revive. The Steel battle was over in only four minutes. One Blaze Kick to Klefki, Scizor, and Aegislash and they were done for. Probopass only took awhile due to it having Sturdy and two turns being spent on a Full Restore. I swear, as long as you have Speed Boost Torchic, you can practically beat anyone in the in game battles. Ramos and Wulfric's battles against me were over under two minutes. It was a bit sad.
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!

Offline Webby

• Don't come back up unless you're wearing a pussy moustache!
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 20, 2013, 23:49 »
Wall of text ahead... lots of individual comments on Pokémon~
Comments in bold~

Sorry about the long post following, but in response to Webby, here are the only ones I'm excited about for the OU tier. Skip if you're uninterested, and again, I apologize:

Mega Venusaur is decent enough, I think it'll have a place somewhere, and has only a few exploitable weaknesses.

I suppose Mega Venusaur is good enough to use over standard Venusaur outside of Sun teams, but I think this is one of the smallest changes of all the Mega evolutions.

Mega Charizard Y will be popular on Drought team. Requires a spinner to be even remotely effective, but base 159 Sp. Attack will definitely see some use. Mega Charizard X has real potential with Dragon Dance boosting his base 100 Speed and buffing his nice base 130 Attack stat, while giving him a great offensive and good defensive typing.

As you said, it requires a spinner. That's always been poor Charizard's problem. :(

Gengar looks like it could easily face a ban, even with the slight nerf to Shadow Tag, it's just too easy to revenge weakened threats with that base 130 Speed and 150 Sp. Attack.

Possibly, Gengar's gonna rip through pretty much anything now.

Zam will see a lot of use if it isn't banned, as it returns to the glory days of RBY where it has nearly unrivaled power and Speed in the OU tier. Trace is really interesting too, it could be a determining factor in many matchups.

Mega Alakazam will definitely split how Alakazam will play. Special sweeping will be left to Mega (I think Mega Zam hits harder than Life Orb Zam?), while standard Alakazam can continue to revenge kill with Focus Sash. It's just a case of working out which variant you're dealing with.

Gyarados is hard to determine, but his new type is welcomed for sure. Not too sure what he'll bring to the table.

Gyarados could work well, just like Mega Mawile - bring it in with Intimidate, then switch to Mega Gyarados for Mold Breaker, effectively giving it the full use of two abilities. Not so keen on the typing, since Gyarados's Dark movepool is as shallow as its Flying one, and it brings in 4 new weaknesses rather than a 4x weakness. The increase in stats could be worth it though, although it might not be worth using over other Megas.

Aerodactyl looks like it could see some real use this generation, though, since Tough Claws boosts a bunch of his moves to great or good levels of power.

And that speed, dayuuuum.

Scizor will be OU, enough said.

Nothing really to add here.

Mega Tyranitar... oh God this thing is going to be ridiculous. Absurdly high defenses in Sand and 164 base Attack... this is terrifying. Low Speed is low, but it's never stopped Tyranitar in the past. Loss of Leftovers could be an issue here, but I imagine it'll play like Choice Band Tyranitar with better defenses and the ability to switch moves.

Or here, but that's because I'm not aware of how Tyranitar plays either way.

Mega Blaziken is OP, but is he really with all the new Megas running around with insane Speed? Still, nothing can theoretically switch into any move he has access to, possibly even 2HKOing Slowbro after Stealth Rock with Shadow Claw off unboosted Attack (no calcs done, don't quote me on this). But the straw that breaks the camel's back is that Speed Boost and Baton Pass are legal on Blaziken now, since MegaKen has Speed Boost regardless of what normal Blaziken has.

Mega Blaziken's split a lot of opinions. Some people are happy that since Mega Evolution naturally increases Blaziken's Speed (before Speed Boost) you can now afford to put more investment into Attack - apparently running Jolly is no longer a necessity, meaning Blaziken doesn't lose out on power from moving from Life Orb to Blazikenite. On the other hand, a lot of people are calling Mega Blaziken a redundant choice since Mega Blaziken won't play any differently and doesn't massively affect what it did before this Gen.

But then again I can't stand Blaziken and I'm not 100% aware of how it plays but I think you'll be the best judge of that.

Mawile has a nice niche, but it's yet to be seen how well it will perform. Remember, you're giving up something like Mega Alakazam to put a stop to Dragons and Fairys, the first of which will take a major hit in basically not having Outrage as a viable option anymore.

I don't think having the highest natural Attack stat in the game pre-boosts is just a niche... Mega Mawile has the potential to be seriously dangerous. Its speed and HP may be pitiful at base 50, but its typing and movepool can mitigate that. 2 immunities and 9 resistances with only 5 types hitting it for neutral and 2 weaknesses makes Steel/Fairy a good defensive typing. 125/95 are passable defenses even with its minimal HP stat, and it can always use Pain Split to seriously dent other Pokémon and follow up with Sucker Punch or Pursuit to pretty much guarantee a KO.

Mega Aggron. Filter. Dat Defense stat. I don't even know, Aggron looks like he could really be dangerous this time around. Loses STAB on Head Smash, as well as recoil-free Head Smash, but... base 230 Defense is kinda nuts.

Not much to say here either.

Medicham has like... the highest unboosted Attack stat in the game after Pure Power or close to it? Base 100 Speed, but it has access to Bullet Punch and Fake Out, so that's something.

Medicham comes second on Attack; Mega Mawile has 105 base and Huge Power, although Medicham has HJK so wins out on damage output, which also leaves it as the riskier choice, since it's not so bulky and any Ghost switch in will ruin it.

Manectric will have a lot more use this time around with huge Volt Switches, and he has tons of really awesome moves like Overheat and stuff that works well with Volt Switch's ability to do damage while escaping. Really excited to try him out.

Again, not much to say.

Banette has Prankster and high Attack, so that'll be interesting to see what it does.

Banette's also got a huge movepool of Status moves to play with. He's already looking to be much better at what Prankster Sableye's been doing.

Absol's Magic Bounce is great, until you factor in horrible defenses. Still, bounces status moves, so that's cool I guess.

65/60/60 compared to Xatu's 65/70/70 and Espeon's 65/60/95 isn't much of a big deal as far as Magic Bounce goes. Absol's definitely got a niche as a purely offensive Magic Bouncer though.

SD Luke will make a comeback this gen for sure.

Nothing to say here~

Abomasnow fights back with some pretty good boosts to Ice and Hail in general this time around, but base 30 Speed is like... wow, you'll win weather wars until you have to actually battle something. Hope it doesn't have a Fire move and doesn't resist Ice Shard.

Abomasnow's another one that's split the board. The boosts to its stats have been well received but Grass/Ice is still really bad defensive typing. That base speed is just gonna make it even more of a sitting duck.

...You'll probably think twice about asking no one in particular next time. :<

Nope, I was kinda hoping for this~

I'm also looking forward to seeing how Mega Kangaskhan plays. Attacking twice means that Power-Up Punch gives +2 attack every time, and it gives Mega Kangaskhan the strongest Fake Out in the game.

And this has been Webby pretending to know more than he actually does~
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 23:55 by Webby »

"i hope you get niall bursting out of a tower cake singing "happy birthday mr president" and he's wearing a "miss america 2013" sash while giving you a 3 hour lapdance"

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 21, 2013, 00:34 »
Huzzah, some discussion!

Mawile: Yeah, you're right, I actually kind of forgot it had Huge Power somehow. It has a worse offensive type than Medicham, but a wonderful defensive type to make use of, so it'll be very interesting to see how much use it actually gets.

Blaziken: I've actually been debating Adamant vs. Jolly, and there is a LOT to take into consideration. Sticky Web, other Megas, and Scarfers all suggest Jolly to be the safest option, but Adamant's power with Protect giving a free Speed Boost is certainly appealing. I feel like Jolly will become standard eventually, just like it did in 5th gen, because you're losing Speed ties to base 100 Scarfers on the second turn if you run Adamant.

Absol: While this is true, Psychic/Flying is a much better defensive typing in gen 5 than Dark is... ever. A quad resistance to Fighting, and being the absolute best switch-in to Ferrothorn made (and probably still makes) Xatu the best Magic Bouncer for pure defensive purposes. Xatu is also deceptively speedy and I always had it make use of Light Clay dual screens. I think for Absol, it'll mainly be a stop to things like priority Thunder Wave, Will-o-Wisp, etc.

Banette: While that's true, Sableye has a bit of a better typing I think. Having a great Attack stat will help Banette further carve it's niche, but it has some pretty shaky defenses.

Abomasnow: It's hard to say how well it will do, but base 30 Speed isn't good in anything but Trick Room.

Kangaskhan: Yes, I meant to talk about this one! Double Fake Out is the very first thing I brought up many pages back when Mega Kanga was first shown, but I had not thought of Power-Up Punch, that is a very good point! Kangaskhan could easily become a frightening threat very quickly in a match, and do it repeatedly with Fake Out if necessary.

Offline Kdintranet & Scizau

• Binary Master
  • Sentret Fan
  • 01001011, 01000100
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #220 on: October 22, 2013, 17:35 »
Mega Scizor, which doesn't appear on the list. It has an aura of. 'Kick Ass' to it.
Avid Poster On Pokemon Academy

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.