Author Topic: Why generation 5 isn't as bad as people think  (Read 3383 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Meowstic Royalty

• Cats.
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • WARNING: DORK
    • View Profile
Why generation 5 isn't as bad as people think
« on: July 23, 2013, 13:56 »
Many people hate generation 5 for one or more of three reasons. Unoriginality, bad design, or just looking crap compared with generation one. I, for one, disagree. Sure, generation five has some bad Pokemon, I will admit that. But when people want to make generation five seem like the worst of them all, they forget the great Pokemon like Hydreigon, Haxorus, Samurott or Excadrill and base the entire generation on just two of them. Trubbish and Garbodor.

Generation five surpasses generation one in many fields, including graphics, features and gameplay. People say generation five was unoriginal, but these ideas were much better than the three pink blobs. I'm looking at you, Ditto, Grimer and Muk.

This isn't to say generation one is bad though, because if it weren't for generation one, Pokemon wouldn't be at this point today.

Needs more Gengar

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
Re: Why generation 5 isn't as bad as people think
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 14:05 »
You are right, gen 5 isn't that bad, at least it was gen 4 that created the horror known as infernape
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Mr. Apple

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 14:07 »
you forgot the ice cream cones

Offline Meowstic Royalty

• Cats.
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 14:08 »
you forgot the ice cream cones

The ice cream cones were made by the Americans. This is why you should leave Pokemon to the Japanese.

Needs more Gengar

Offline sans the skeleton

• they/them pronouns please
  • Joeno Fan
  • super meme trash
    • View Profile
    • Subeta
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 14:09 »
I like the gameplay and pokemon sprites. I don't like the unoriginality and terrible designs.

I don't actually like Hydreigon, Haxorus, Samurott or Excadrill, either. Samurott's just slightly better than the other two starters for it's final evolution, I'll admit. Heck, I'm even fine with quite a few of Gen 6 - I love the squid final evolution, for example - I just prefer gen 1&2's designs, because they're simpler and just overall better imo. Gen 3's okay, too. Spinda remains the bane of my existance because of the random patterns, tho.

I like Ditto, though, mostly because of how ditto... is. I mean, it's a transforming pink blob. You'll never really know what pokemon's real and what one's a ditto if you're in a zone where dittos are abound, I guess. (Talking about anime and the like rather than ingame, though, as you'll see it's a ditto straght away ingame). Grimer and Muk, though... I don't see how they even evolve. Are you sure Muk just isn't a bigger grimer?

Speaking of Gen 4, though, Gen 4's beginning to look a little better... just a bit... in comparison to the fifth. Meh.

There are a few gems for me in the designs though - like Liligant and maybe Joltik. I like Deerling too.

The ice cream cones were made by the Americans. This is why you should leave Pokemon to the Japanese.

Vullaby, Mandibuzz, Golett and Golurk, some of the best designs of the entire fifth generation, were also made by americans.

ive created a monster
official forum cryptid

Offline Meowstic Royalty

• Cats.
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 14:15 »
I like the gameplay and pokemon sprites. I don't like the unoriginality and terrible designs.

I don't actually like Hydreigon, Haxorus, Samurott or Excadrill, either. Samurott's just slightly better than the other two starters for it's final evolution, I'll admit. Heck, I'm even fine with quite a few of Gen 6 - I love the squid final evolution, for example - I just prefer gen 1&2's designs, because they're simpler and just overall better imo. Gen 3's okay, too. Spinda remains the bane of my existance because of the random patterns, tho.

I like Ditto, though, mostly because of how ditto... is. I mean, it's a transforming pink blob. You'll never really know what pokemon's real and what one's a ditto if you're in a zone where dittos are abound, I guess. (Talking about anime and the like rather than ingame, though, as you'll see it's a ditto straght away ingame). Grimer and Muk, though... I don't see how they even evolve. Are you sure Muk just isn't a bigger grimer?

Speaking of Gen 4, though, Gen 4's beginning to look a little better... just a bit... in comparison to the fifth. Meh.

There are a few gems for me in the designs though - like Liligant and maybe Joltik. I like Deerling too.

Vullaby, Mandibuzz, Golett and Golurk, some of the best designs of the entire fifth generation, were also made by americans.

Vullaby is simply a bird in a diaper. Of course, no one can hate Golurk. Who doesn't love flying robots?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 14:17 by TheAlmightyEmboar »

Needs more Gengar

Offline sans the skeleton

• they/them pronouns please
  • Joeno Fan
  • super meme trash
    • View Profile
    • Subeta
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 14:17 »
Vullaby is simply a bird in a diaper. Of course, no one can Golurk. Who doesn't love flying robots?

Vullaby is a vulture inside of a skull. Pretty darn awesome.

And as for Golurk, I think he was referenced from... an iron giant or something?

this guy!.

ive created a monster
official forum cryptid

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 14:20 »

Hey, I take offense to that, I'm american, and I don't see any brittish made pokemon.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Mr. Apple

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 14:24 »
Hey, I take offense to that, I'm american, and I don't see any brittish made pokemon.
same here, lets see the british make one!

quack98

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 14:25 »
For me, the worst part of Gen V was the stupid foreground sprites, they were all pixelated. The best gen, IMO, was III, I loved the region, the starters, the 'mon in general and the 4 Dragons were my favourites (Flygon, Salamence, Rayquaza and Altaria).

HGSS were better than B/W simply because there was a much better post game (Frontier, new region, red, re challenge gym leaders), and it had better foreground sprites.

Gen V isn't bad though, I just found it disappointing.

Offline Meowstic Royalty

• Cats.
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 14:33 »

I'm not hating on Americans here. Americans are responsible for a lot of the good intentions we have today. But when it comes to Pokemon, the ice cream and the bird in a diaper don't really cut it. Of course, the Japanese Pokemon aren't perfect either. I mean, seriously, my second favorite Pokemon (After Emboar) is Braviary, a bird BASED on the American eagle.

Needs more Gengar

Mr. Apple

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 14:44 »
its called the bald eagle

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 15:11 »
It doesn't matter one bit who designed what pokemon, as long as someone likes them. Personally, Vanilluxe's line is more of a blizzard-throwing, hail-storming frozen chunk of ice than an ice cream to me. Trubbish isn't that bad either.

I think there's a fine line between a simple design and a crap design. Besides, the dex entries make the pokemon more than piles of rubbish. Grimer's description is something like that it was sludge brought to life by the moon's rays.
Also, it's kind of hypocritical when people say 'oh trubbish is bad and unoriginal but grimer is awesome because it's from gen 1' because the ideas for both are similar, e.g garbage bag and toxic sludge.

And about Gen 1, the reason why things look unoriginal when you look closely is because those ideas were unused at the time! Transforming pink blob? Nope. Stinking pile of sludge? Nope. They only look bad now because pokemon that have recently been made might be similar to those. Take Pikachu, an electric rodent. Rodents in general have been made for each generation, but you see there's things like Pachirisu and Emolga. Back in the day, Pikachu was the first electric rodent, and people didn't think that was unoriginal. Now that there's Pachirisu/Emolga around, it isn't so original now.

People should appreciate the great designs of each generation, because each person has their own opinion! I personally like the look of pokemon like Vanilluxe because it actually looks interesting, and it fills in a niche for Ice types.

Offline Clairefable

• worst jobby
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
    • abandon hope all ye who enter here
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 12:33 »
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/James_Turner

technically they WERE made by someone British and forget y'all haters the Vanillite line is amazing.

Personally I think the Conkeldurr line is an abomination but you don't see me judging a whole generation by it, and that doesn't necessarily mean that they are badly designed, just that I don't like them. I'm indifferent to Vullaby and Mandibuzz but I can see that their designs are pretty neat. Vultures? Bones? Cannibalistic tribes? There are all sorts of neat stuff going on in there. There have also been some piles of crap in previous generations as well.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 15:54 »
lmao so much saltiness from non-Americans!  I swear if people outside of America came to this country for once instead of listening to all this crap about our government and media your view of the country would be flipped upside down.

Why are we comparing Gen 5 to Gen 1?  Gen 1 wasn't necessarily halfassed but I don't think they had quite the team to create Pokemon that they had for Gen 5.  This means that you can't be as creative and you can't research stuff as heavily because you don't think you're gonna be able to turn this into a franchise that it milks.  Having that said, I've heard lots and lots of praise about Gen 5 and as of late I haven't heard much of anything against it, it either took time to grow on people or it was just generally very well received for many reasons.

Also, the new EXP formula = a godsend
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 16:11 by Lord Raven »
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!