Author Topic: How much do we really want to know??  (Read 2164 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Zell

• Rex Fan
  • I'm melting ,Stupid Australian weather
    • View Profile
How much do we really want to know??
« on: May 17, 2013, 10:14 »
Really, how much do you want to know about X & Y before release?
I have started to notice a worrying trend with video games in recent times, we seem to know every detail of games before we even play them. If we know too much about X & Y will it take away too much of the mystery?
If I take you back to RED, BLUE, GOLD and SILVER the internet wasn't as accessible as it is now so most of us ventured into these games with almost no idea of what to expect and I think that was a partial part of their success.
These days with PEARL onward we have full walkthroughs of the Japanese versions before Euro release, which took away most of the adventure and fun from these games.
So for these reasons I'm choosing to avoid all info on X & Y from now on.

Offline lugia95

• Joeno Fan
  • Credit to Chloe for the awesome avatar
    • View Profile
Re: How much do we really want to know??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 10:27 »
Fortunately, we shouldn't get any walkthroughs, thanks to the simultaneous worldwide release. But you have a point, and I am going to make some attempt to not pay attention to a lot of information.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 18:43 »
It's a good question, I'm torn between dying for new information and kind of hoping they hold off.

So far I'm liking what we're getting, we're being hyped but it's not giving much away. On the one hand I'm DYING to see what new Pokemon we have but on the other hand I'd actually kinda like it if we heard as little as possible.

I'll tell you what though, if there's any new information in the future I'll try and keep thread titles informative but without any spoilers. So for example instead of 'SYLVEON'S TYPE IS _______' I'll do 'SYLVEON'S TYPE REVEALED' or something so you can go "Nope, don't want to find out what that is" and just ignore it without being spoiled. Same with anything else that gets announced.

MonsterMon64

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 19:59 »
I'm dancing on the line as well. Admittedly I've been keeping up with the official reveals, CoroCoro, etc., but there are definitely things I want to be surprised about. I could list a bunch, but plot-relevant and/or important trainers, the villainous team, and the starters' respective evolutions are the big 'uns.

I guess I differ from Turner in that I'm actually BEGGING Game Freak to hold back on new info, but unlike with the first half of Gen V, I don't seem to have a lot of restraint to avoid spoilers this time around, haha.

quack98

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 20:06 »
I kinda' want to know starter evos and legendaries types, but that's all, anything else would wreck the surprise  ;D

If there's going to be a new type, I'd quite like them to keep that a secret, just because people would assume they'd have released it earlier, and it'll be a (hopefully) pleasant surprise.

And MM64, I'm exactly like you, I have no willpower whatsoever, and I just read all the updates even though I don't really want to  :(

Offline lugia95

• Joeno Fan
  • Credit to Chloe for the awesome avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 20:58 »
The thing is, I would love to go into this like I did with my first Pokemon game - not knowing any of the Pokemon at all, except from having glanced at their sprites. But I'm worried that if I do that now, we'll get another Trubbish, and I'll just get disappointed when I see it.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 23:33 »
Yeah, I feel better about Pancham and Fletchling now but at the time I really didn't like them. Spoilers are good in a sense because they give me time to cool off and accept things. I don't want to be like 'What the hell is this' and then just put down the game and be disappointed either.

There are so many leaks going around too, what with Hiro getting things right and now the latest development is a different fansite's source correctly guessing the english names of the Pokemon we saw this week (And I can verify this did indeed happen), there's clearly a weak link in TPCi somewhere. Apparently the source that got the names also posted the leaks in numerous other places on the internet, so all kinds of trolls and fakers are coming forward with the 'leaked information' pretending to be the source. Meaning of all the rumors I've read, there's a good chance one of them has been correct.

We'll just have to see how it goes, I might reach a point where I say 'This is enough' and refuse to look at any more info.

Offline Alpha Fenrir

• The Dark Side of the Sun
  • Rob Fan
  • Anybody got some spare enthusiasm?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 16:09 »
We'll just have to see how it goes, I might reach a point where I say 'This is enough' and refuse to look at any more info.
Yeah, kinda in agreement with you there.
Personally, I only want to know really basic info beforehand, such as the contents of the pokedex and how many gyms there are. I might look into where I can find those pokemon which I see and go "Oh gods I must have that" close to the launch, and I may look up on the new moves within the game. I do not want to know anything other than Box Blurb info on the plotline and I'd rather not know the types or order of the gym leaders. That sort of detail is something I want to avoid...
Curse my memory... Formerly Avalanche Absol 137

...Something tells me no one will care about who I used to be. Or who I am now for that matter.

Mr. Apple

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 18:50 »
^im pretty sure theres gonna be 8 gyms

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 23:15 »
I want the game
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 14:19 »
The idea of bench sitting is one of the most exciting things ever...

I might stop with the updates when I leave Uni this year, which will be quite difficult, but I want to be blown away with Xerneas appearing (choosing X). The only detail I really want to know is whether Pokemon can be sent to X and Y from Black 2 and White 2. It's almost pretty much assumed this is the case, but I still would like confirmation. I've now decided I want everything, but that to be a surprise.
Slowly an old member..

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 19:39 »
^ Make a thread for it. I think it'd be pretty cool if people made spoilerless question threads so they could only get their specific questions answered without having any other details unveiled to them. I'd be happy to help people out with that depending on what I know.

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 00:39 »
The games have been rated in Australia, so if you wanna know the age rating for the games, then click right here.  :laugh:

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"