Author Topic: Do you want a fairy type?  (Read 3640 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Do you want a fairy type?
« on: May 20, 2013, 14:20 »
It's been much rumoured and even more so with the PokeBeach rumour that there will be a fairy type. I think it needs to be changed to "Magic", but Fairy will do.

Do you even think we need a Fairy/Magic type?
Slowly an old member..

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
Re: Do you want a fairy type?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 15:02 »
As long as it resists or is immune to Dragon, yes, this is something that the metagame needs. I also wouldn't mind it on a personal level either.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline lugia95

• Joeno Fan
  • Credit to Chloe for the awesome avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 15:27 »
I think now that it has been hyped so much, I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't get a new type. Whether that type should be fairy or not, I don't really care, although I would prefer it if it was something that wasn't so easy to make fun of.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 15:44 »
Yes, definitely. I think Fairies are a great mystical creature to get inspiration from. There's so much potential for a really varied type and I think it fits in the Pokemon world nicely. Not to mention it will hopefully explain Pokemon like Togepi and Clefairy a little more as we don't tend to know much about them outside of 'They're mysterious'.

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 15:47 »
It'll mix things up in terms of types at least. We've stuck with the same amount of types since Gen 2, so I think we're due a new one, just so long as Game Freak don't go overboard with new types.

BW stuck you with new Pokemon only (Till after the Elite anyway) which returned the feeling of encountering Pokemon you were not familiar with just like your very first game. This should hopefully bring back the feeling of experimenting with types a little bit when we all had no real idea what everything was strong/weak against (Partly anyway, with 1 new type)...

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"

quack98

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 17:00 »
I like the idea of a new type, but hate the idea of it being called 'fairy'.

Personally I'd like 'Beast', but 'Magic''d do. If it were to be Resistant to Dragon (not immune, dragons need to stay powerful, that's the idea) then fairies make little sense:

Dragon = RAWR!!!!

Fairy = Err.... Run?

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 18:39 »
Come to think of it, will we even get many Fairy types if true? There weren't many Steel and Dark types in GSC (Much like the lack of Dragons and Ghosts in RBY)....

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 19:37 »
I like the idea of a new type, but hate the idea of it being called 'fairy'.

Personally I'd like 'Beast', but 'Magic''d do. If it were to be Resistant to Dragon (not immune, dragons need to stay powerful, that's the idea) then fairies make little sense:

Dragon = RAWR!!!!

Fairy = Err.... Run?

In Folklore Fairies tame/own dragons. Dragons are magical beasts that Fairies wield power over.

I know people are going crazy saying Snubbul/Cresselia/Clefairy/Togepi/Jigglypuff/Mew/Volbeat/Caterpie etc. are going to be retconned but I honestly think it'll be a very small amount. I think Fairy will be a relatively rare type, much like Ghost was/is. I'm quite happy about that, actually.

quack98

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 19:43 »
It'll probably end up like bug: Fairly useful type, but poor distribution.

The only real bug types are Scizor, Volcarona and Arceus (might've missed one, not sure) and I think fairy type would end up like that, just distributed on Pokémon with very low stats.

This is sort of already visible with the 'mon people suggest it'd be on, like clefairy and stuff. Also, just an interesting thought: Celebi? He never really seemed like much of a Grass/Psychic, and he is about as fairyish(?) as your going to get.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 22:02 »
It'll probably end up like bug: Fairly useful type, but poor distribution.

The only real bug types are Scizor, Volcarona and Arceus (might've missed one, not sure) and I think fairy type would end up like that, just distributed on Pokémon with very low stats.

This is sort of already visible with the 'mon people suggest it'd be on, like clefairy and stuff. Also, just an interesting thought: Celebi? He never really seemed like much of a Grass/Psychic, and he is about as fairyish(?) as your going to get.

By 'real' bug types do you just mean competitively viable ones?

quack98

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 22:06 »
I mean ones that are at least partially usable, even in game would be hard with a Beedrill (especially for me, I'm always 5-10 Lvls under the E4) or Butterfree or something.

Actually, on my list I missed of Syther, Heracross and Forretress

Edit: Forget Ferrothorn was grass

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 22:24 »
I'd say Beedrill is definitely usable. Most stuff in-game is usable but isn't useful on Wi-Fi/Competitively. It depends how much you want to tear apart the E4. There are loads of great bug types.

Offline Clairefable

• worst jobby
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
    • abandon hope all ye who enter here
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 00:23 »
At first I was a bit reluctant but once I realised that Clefairy/Clefable might do pretty well out of this I soon came round.

MonsterMon64

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 14:51 »
I'm surprised there's been no talk of TWO new types. Then again, I was also surprised when only one Eeveelution was announced. I'm not getting my hopes up on Fairy/Magic/Mystic/whatever-types bringing that much balance on its own, though. Dark and Steel were pretty much made to counter Psychic-types, one moreso offensively and the other so defensively that it resists everything else under the sun. I mean, I suppose one type is enough, but... I just can't shake the feeling they're adding a new type for the heck of it. Or at the very least, it's not gonna meet everyone's standards until a gen or two after, if at all. Worst-case scenario, it ends up being broken.

Pessimism and meta-game concerns aside, Fairy-type for the sake of Fairy-type? Eh, why not. We've gone so long without new types that I have absolutely no ability to come up with some good ones. (I have some ideas for making Wood-type not redundant, but the other issue is getting a new type to work/balance things out, something I am definitely not an expert on)

I mean ones that are at least partially usable, even in game would be hard with a Beedrill (especially for me, I'm always 5-10 Lvls under the E4) or Butterfree or something.
Can't argue with those specific examples, but I'd like to think Durant and Galvantula are pretty decent in-game. I don't remember mine struggling TOO much against White's Elite Four the first time around.  Or the second, for that matter.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 16:25 »
Galvantula and Durant are terrifying machines. I think you can make Beedrill work for sure, you certainly need to make it fast though and maybe set up with swords dance or something.