Author Topic: Gates To Infinity Demo (Spoilers?)  (Read 5532 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
Gates To Infinity Demo (Spoilers?)
« on: March 08, 2013, 08:17 »
So the demo to the new PMD game is in the 3DS e-Shop. It allows you to continue in the actual game from where you leave off in the demo, so there's no reason not to try it.

I have to say, I am very underwhelmed with the demo. They've ditched the personality quiz, and given you an option of Pikachu, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott and Axew. That, for me, was underwhelming. Personally, the quiz in the past has made me feel more connected to my avatar, because I wouldn't be that Cyndaquil if I wasn't the Timid type. The selection here has been watered down, too, with only 5 choices, making replayability a factor.

As for the game itself, the graphics look nice. The 3D effect is good, and things look pleasant, but for me, that's where the praise ends. The plot is boring, and the whole thing feels kinda 'been here done this', which is typical for Pokemon, but I felt EoT/EoD/EotS sucked me into the plot a lot more.

Anyway, what did you think of it? Post your thoughts on the demo and the game itself here, since I'm genuinely curious about what other's first impressions were.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
Re: Gates To Infinity Demo (Spoilers?)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 14:00 »
I haven't been able to download it, and probably won't get to play it until it comes out - I'm hoping these little factors will all be cleared up - more starters, a personality quiz, etc...

the Explorers series was absolutely amazing in terms of plot and how close you felt to your character, and I really hope they bring that back.

From screenshots, the graphics do look pretty tasty =3

MonsterMon64

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 19:10 »
I tried a little of the demo, but I won't be shelling out for the full game. From as far as I did get in the plot before trying to scan every circular object for the seperate Magnagate Mode (heck, I like a good gimmick... but shame the demo only lets you scan small circles) it was... well, I'm easy to please, so it had enough to draw me in. My main gripe was what they did with the controls. I have no idea why they couldn't have kept the system from Explorers of Darkness, etc. It just feels like they're overhauling things a bit too much here for whatever reason. Well, I could be exaggerating a bit there, but... something feels off in general.

I'm not gonna lie, though: probably the most amusing thing about this demo is that Quagsire kept going "Hmm" and "Mmm" a lot, and I couldn't help but think of the Zelda CD-i games. Next time I catch a Wooper, I'm naming it Morshu.

Also, Enigma, I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure there won't be a personality quiz in the main game, either. Shame, that's also one of the things I liked about Mystery Dungeon. (I got Cyndaquil too, Richard! )

Offline Arceus62907

• Pokemon Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 00:17 »
i played the demo for all of 10 seconds and i already hate it. i only bothered to download it to see for myself the exclusion of mudkip and all the other starters, and the first thing i find is a voice telling me to save the pokemon world. it's bad enough that there's only 144 pokemon in it which is completely negligent of the series' standards they've built up, but the way the games are supposed to b is u turn into a pokemon with no idea y and u search for that reason. u travel and explore with ur rescue team or w/e and ur character learns to love the world and ur friends in it enough to want to save it urself, and even want to stay there as ur new home. not just b brought into it and given a mission to save it. i'm largely sentimental in terms of tradition in games and changing the dynamic and having anything less then the known amount of pokemon available in-game is out of the completely out of the question. but i could forgive all it, if they'd at least let me b mudkip. that's been basically my spirit pokemon since the first mystery dungeon games and i refuse to choose otherwise.

/endrant

Offline Deketai

• Pokemon Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 09:47 »
GtI does not live up to the previous standards nor the hype it is given.  The only thing I felt when I played the demo, AND when I watched the trailer was a sense of disappointment and an overwhelming urge to replay EoS...

Offline Arceus62907

• Pokemon Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 10:08 »
i'm really hoping the sales of gti do bad enough for nintendo to make something i'd actually consider part of the md series. i intend to get eos over gti wen i can now that i've forgotten most of the plot of eot. u cant just set that high of a standard for a series and then completely flake on it.

Offline Silverwing Bloodsplash

• Hey bros, since when I was a
  • Rob Fan
  • Sexy Smooth Silver Swagger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 01:43 »
This game is so damn disapointing. What's worse is that they released to whole game already, and they haven't changed a single thing! Oh well. Every videogame series has to have a tradition breaker at some point...

I feel that every Fifth Generation Pokémon games mostly includes the Pokémon for that Gen for their games, and mostly excludes the others. It's like a curse. This games is a prime example. I felt this take full effect on Seasons 14 and most of 15 of the Pokémon anime. All 5th Gen except for Pikachu and Meowth. So frustrating. I hope the Sixth Generation will fix all that. I have hope for them when they introduced the new Mewtwo forme, as crazy as it sounds.

I wonder if they'll have a Mew forme, too? Ohhh dear....
Just watch. They'll make Mew into this giant dragon thing that rips people apart.
.-v-.

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 16:23 »
The demo's coming to Europe this week, for those of us who can't wait any longer...

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"

Offline GhostPony750

• Rapidash
  • Iceduck Fan
  • Rapidash
    • View Profile
    • Psypoke
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 03:16 »
My friend bought this game, and I tried it...
This game is too easy, storyline is insanely too short, no more hunger...
I'm disappointed, I'll stick to Blue Rescue Team, my favorite game.

Seriously, all the pokemon games lack storyline, only XD is fine. :(

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 03:50 »

I'd say the first two PMD's had compelling plots. I got very sucked into Explorers of the Sky especially. I could forgive the easy difficulty of this new PMD, if it had more starter selection and had all the Pokemon in it. As it stands, there is nothing compelling me to waste money on this game.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Silverwing Bloodsplash

• Hey bros, since when I was a
  • Rob Fan
  • Sexy Smooth Silver Swagger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 04:00 »

Honestly, I really hate this excuse of a PMD game. There's only five starters, four of which are Fifth Gen. There's only 144 Pokémon, most of them Fifth Gen. And they don't even have ALL the Fifth Gen Pokémon in there! They even took out the IQ in the game. I loved building up the IQ to maximum in my Skitty-evolved-Delcatty and tearin' down the walls! Why would they build up the guidelines in the PMD games so high, and then not even comin' CLOSE to meetin' them! It's just wrong!

I'm gonna continue playin' Red Rescue Team and one-shot bosses with my Hyper Beam, thank you very much.
.-v-.