Poll

Why is using not very used Pokémon important?

Because they need love ♥
8 (53.3%)
Because they can be a nasty surprise for the opponent.
5 (33.3%)
They aren't lol.
1 (6.7%)
↑ I think the one who voted for that has no idea on Pokémon.
1 (6.7%)
I am doubting more than Descartes. Give me some more time to think, please.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Unsuspected, "unviable" Niche Pokémon of the Day  (Read 39817 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
Unsuspected, "unviable" Niche Pokémon of the Day
« on: August 26, 2014, 23:15 »
Meet Delicious_Scout, a over-hyped "threat" for the Metagame. With its 169/169/108 offences, everyone will get offended by his articles! Which are about to begin!

Today, we are talking about a Pokémon that has been outclassed since it was introduced. Or my favourite Pokémon. It is... Registeel.

Just hear its cry, its forme, its... silver skin. It is a tough golem, and I will show you how (in battles).

Credit to the MetaSprite project for this Registeel

Registeel had a hard time in Generation Three: Tyranitar with Focus Punch was everywhere, and everything just spammed the random Punch, Fire Blast, or Eathquake, thus granting Registeel a BL (Barely Legal) (Borderline) status.

In ghettoneration Generation IV, Close Combat and Fire Blitz were a real thing, and the old Earthquake and Fire Blast spam continued, but this time Registeel found a good niche in Übers as a Stealth Rock setter due to its pure Steel type and great special bulk (take that, Gen III Regice!). Moreover, Registeel got involved in some weird stuff. Registeel ended up being a UU (Utterly Unnamed) (Under Used).

Generation V was more or less the same, but, in Übers, V-Crate Rayquaza, Mixed Zekrom, Reshiram, and regenerator Ho-Oh made its life miserable, thus being outclassed by Arceus-Steel as a pure Steel Type. Still ended being a UU.

Generation VI introduced very important changes for Registeel. In first place, it got a recovery move Steel became neutral to Dark and Ghost, thus limiting its walling ability, but it became resistant to Fairy, and it could ALSO hit them for super effective damage. Second, and perhaps the most important one, Defog got buffed up to the point of eliminating entry hazards, Registeel's main job. However, one of the most dangerous legendaries was introduced... and it was pretty damn well handled by Registeel.

After its obscure past, Registeel has asked for a new round.

ReggieSteel

Clear Body @ Leftovers

Calm Nature (+SpD, -SpA)

252HP-4Def-252SpD

Stealth Rock
Thunder Wave
Iron Head
Rest/Ice Punch/Toxic

For: Übers

Registeel would be outclassed by Arceus-Steel if it wasn't for the fact that it does not care about speed, while Arceus must run Timid with Max Speed most of the times without enough room for Stealth Rock. Therefore, Stealth Rock all the way, since its bulk almost guarantees at least deploying it once. Do not try to stand against Physical Rayquaza, because it can OHKO any Registeel variant with V-Create. However, if you want to hurt the switch-in, try using Ice Punch, 24 EV moved into Attack grants it a 2HKO against zero-investment Rayquaza.

Thunder Wave is a middle finger to those rival Pokémon that set up Sticky Web; the speed reduction is superior, MUCH superior. In fact, Registeel, without any kind of Speed investment, can outspeed +2 120 Neutral Xerneas after paralysis. If you want to go for a sure bet, 52 EV in Speed (in exchange for some bulk) outspeed Max Speed Neutral Xerneas. 112 in Speed allow to outspeed +2 +MaxSpeed Xerneas, but it is generally better just to kill it with another Pokémon.

Talking about killing Xerneas, this is what Registeel does the best. With paralysis plus Super Effective, STABbed Iron Head, Registeel is able to Paraflinch Xerneas to its doom. Beware of Arceus-Fairy, though, since it usually carries Will-O-Wisp. If you are worried too much about status, this is when Rest comes handy, allowing you to set up Stealth Rock again if needed. Toxic is an option for crippling many other Pokémon on the switch, such Lugia and Ho-Oh. Do not even think about using Explosion in the last slot: it has been nerfed too much and Registeel is too useful supporting its team. Interestingly enough...

+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 312-368 (85.7 - 101%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Which means it has a good chance to survive, especially with the bad accuracy of the move. Should they carry HP Fire, you have a paralysed Xerneas.

Registeel is best used when using another Dragon-resistant Arceus, such Arceus-Fairy or even Physically Defensive Arceus, which can use Reflect to further improve Registeel's walling ability.

So, guys. What do you think about Registeel? Is it useful in OU as well? Will Oscar/Richard and Shiny Mega Gengar kill me? Find it out in the next article! (Hint: it will be an electric type)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 19:28 by Delicious_Scout »
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: (Another) Pokémon of the Day
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 23:28 »
it'll be interesting to see all the different uses you have for certain Pokémon in mind. I'll follow the thread and see where this all goes =]

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: (Another) Pokémon of the Day
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 23:33 »
Registeel is NOT to be used in Ubers, first of all. There is a good reason why it is RU right now.

It is incredibly susceptible to being set up on in Ubers, and it can be trapped very easily and KOed. Dugtrio / Mega Gengar / Gothitelle / Electric Arceus / Mono-attacker Arceus in general with Refresh and Recover / Sub Hone Claws Zekrom all have an easy time taking down Registeel. Arceus Steel is very much the superior choice. In fact, it very much outclasses Registeel. Support Arceus-Steel is excellent, it can pack any four of Stealth Rock / Recover / Will-O-Wisp / Judgment / Refresh / Grass Knot / Defog / Toxic. It is absolutely false that Arceus MUST run max speed and Timid as well. It has enough room for Stealth Rock, it is more flexible to suit your teams needs. With Will-O-Wisp, its bulk and some speed, it can take on virtually all of the above and cripple / KO them one on one. Mega Gengar still poses a problem but that goes for basically everything in Ubers.

Basically, Registeel belongs in RU / UU, and Arceus-Steel -> Registeel unless you choose to save Arceus for a different form. Even then you have Ferrothorn / Forretress / Excadrill to use as your steel type, and all of them can check Xerneas very well barring HP Fire or Close Combat.

That totally wasn't meant to change the whole direction of the thread smh
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 22:59 by Spriter »

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
Re: Unsuspected, "unviable" Niche Pokémon of the Day
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 22:37 »
Mega Gengar is now banned (darn), and Gothitelle... it might be an interesting thing to review later on, but let's keep track on the following Pokémon.

Due to Spriter's rant, I have decided to call this section «Unsuspected, "unviable" Niche Pokémon of the Day». Basically, I am presenting a Pokémon that at first might be heavily outclassed... and it might be still even with the best set and support, because these usually need top-notch prediction (something I lack).

Today, we are talking about a long, sticky, shocking Pokémon. Yes, perverts, I am talking about... Eelektross.

Credit to the MetaSprite Spriters for the Sprite (and Spriter for his rant)

Eelektross... is a weird Pokémon. It is slender, tall, its eyes are empty and blood-lusty, its teeth are separated, it trembles... heck, if it were not an eel, one would think I am talking about a drug addict. Both bear significant differences, though.

85/80/80 are solid defences, and thanks to its typing, it only has one weakness, which is totally eliminated via Levitate, its ability. Key resistances to Steel, Flying, and Eelektric Electric just make it better. Moreover, 115/100/50 are hard-hitting offences, and that lackluster speed (most of the times lower than the Regis') can be actually a good point for our long eel. A very expansive movepool just makes Eelektross better.

Then, why is it "outclassed"? Easy. Do you want to hit VERY hard? Choose Magnezone. To wall Pinsir? Zapdos is your Pokémon. Stall? Zapdos.

Nevertheless, it is a grave mistake to underestimate Eelektross; its bad speed and good defences make it able to run a mixed set, both defensive and offensive. Wish support just makes it stronger, and it can even support its team without using any status move.

I don't even

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Relaxed Nature (+Def - Spe)
EV: 248HP/128Def/132SpA
IV: From 30 to 0 (all being even)

Volt Switch
Flamethrower
Knock Off/U-Turn
Hidden Power Ice

First off, let me explain how this Eelektross is meant to be used. It is not a very common Pokémon, and so it might cause a bit of confusion. Anyway, this is a semi-lure Pokémon. Volt Switch grants a very decent STAB that can 2HKO some water types. If you are looking for sure 2HKO or even OHKO, then go for a Quiet Nature. The beauty of Volt Switch is that not many Pokémon are slower than Eelektross, thus granting an almost-free switch to an opposing threat. Flamethrower 2HKOs any bulky Megascizor, Pinsir, and, basically, anything weak to Fire. Most of these 2HKO turn into OHKO with the proper hazard support. Knock Off is the utility move, but U-Turn is another way of escaping from Pokémon that are immune to Electric, and it hits Psychic types hard as well. HP Ice can 2HKO Landorus-T, Gliscor and Dragonite, while it can OHKO Naïve Garchomp and Naïve Landorus sometimes.

You might be asking: why such a low damage imput? The spread ensures you can take most hits, in particular a Choice Banded Play Rough from Azumarill after Stealth Rock damage and Volt Switch it, while still retaining some firepower. Wish support is very necessary for this creature. If you prefer going solo, use a Quiet nature then. Fire Punch is not even considered because it can never manage to OHKO Bulky Scizor.

It has other options, though. Acid Spray forces switches or a heavy Volt Switch coming from Eelektross.  Gigadrain can be used to hit Quagsire very hard. Dragon Tail can be used to force the others to switch, but Eelektross generally prefers leaving and not make the others leave. Superpower and Drain Punch are excellent coverage options, but the former has a nasty negative secondary effect and the later lacks overall power, so they must be used with caution. Toxic can be used to annoy, but Assault Vest tends to be too good to use Toxic; otherwise, use Leftovers.

Eelektross has the particularity of being very flexible in terms of EV spreads and natures, don't be shy and try them! First in RU, and, eventually, in OU, where it can Switch into a Megakazam, perhaps.

So, what do you think about Eelektross? Is its niche bigger than offensive double screens by Deoxys in Übers? Will Spriter rant again? Find it out on the next article!
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline JSM

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 22:53 »
Another interesting article Martí, I've never used Eelektross, but when I have played lower tiers in the past it has given me a lot of trouble now that I think about it. Maybe when I finally look at a tier that isn't OU or LC this generation I'll try out an Eelektross.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 23:01 »
Okay, now I'm a running gag. Amusing.

Good analysis though! Gothitelle is very much an intriguing Pokémon, I'd say that would be a good one to know more about.

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 02:08 »
aw man no rant from spriter D; D;

im definitely going to look forward to reading these, great work C:
and just going to suggest eviolite rhydon as something to consider writing about because I have a lot of fun using that myself. its wonderful besides the ever present threat of knock off

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 22:36 »
Please notice: Eelektross should NEVER stay against a Haxorus. Both Outrage and Earthquake are a clear OHKO.

And now that we have discovered that Spriter did not rant (yay!), it is time to present the next Pokémon.

Today, we will discuss a Pokémon that was born already outclassed. Coming from Johto, I present... a shibu doge Granbull.

Credit to MetaSprite for the job, as usual.

Granbull, as I said, was born outclassed. 120 attack in generation II was massive... but Ursaring got at least the same stats. To compare them, I present this data:

Granbull
HP: 90 | Attack: 120 | Defence: 75 | Special Attack: 60 | Special Defence: 60 | Speed: 45

Amusing? Let's check Ursaring:

Ursaring
HP: 90 | Attack: 130 | Defence: 75 | Special Attack: 75 | Special Defence: 75 | Speed: 55

As you can see, in generation II, Ursaring was clearly superior. The only thing Granbull had over the bear is Heal Bell. Granbull was UU, while Ursaring kept a BL status.

Generation III was somewhat different. Then, Granbull gained Intimidate, while Ursaring got Guts. They both got a little bit more equal, but Ursaring was still the favourite. Their tiers did not change.

Generation IV was not gentle at all for the doge. It gained, as its other ability, Quick Feet. Guess what other Pokémon got it? Satan Ursaring, of course. Moreover, status orbs were introduced, thus giving Ursaring a quick way to abuse both Quick Feet with its boosted 55 Speed and Guts with its massive 130 Attack (STAB Facade while Burnt/Poisoned HURTS). Granbull... could not abuse them that much. Heal Bell was its niche again, along with intimidate. Ursaring went down to UU, and Granbull sunk to NU.

Generation V just brought a lot of powerful Fighting types to the tier. Now both Pokémon shared home in NU, but its only niche was only Heal Bell (yet again). Their Hidden Abilities (Unnerve in Ursaring's case and Rattles in Granbull's) were (and are) not very useful.

Generation VI... was a strange shock. Granbull did gain a new typing in Pure Fairy, but... its lackluster speed, its mediocre special defence... the omnipresent steel types... these things have prevented Granbull from rising again some tiers. Yes, it is still a NU, and so making it work in OU requires drastical changes in the strategy.

Notice that the set I will describe requires even more dedication and effort than the last two issues, because Granbull is... the lure.

LureBull

Granbull @ Choice Band/Assault Vest/Leftovers
Adamant Nature (+Att, -SpA)
EV: 248 HP/252 Att/8 Spe
Ability: Intimidate

Stone Edge
Close Combat/Earthquake
Fire Punch
Play Rough/Crunch/Bulk Up/Heal Bell

This is the offensive version of Granbull, and it hits very hard by the time it forces switches thanks to Intimidate. The trick is to know what will enter and what will stay. Due to Granbull being a very hard sight in standard, it can be both good and bad. Good because the opponent will be too confused to throw the correct check/counter in, but bad because they might be overprotective and conservative, thus failing one of your attempts to OHKO something.

Talking about OHKOs, Stone Edge murders Talonflame and Charizard (and Y), Close Combat ends Tyranitar, Bisharp (which enjoys getting a Defiant boost with Intimidate) and Fire Punch ends Scizor and Forretress for sure with a Choice Band, while there is a decent chance to OHKO Bulky Scizor on the switch with any other item (Hazards help granting the kill). Play Rough is the jack of all trades, dealing high damage to anything that does not resist its attack, and also grants many OHKOs to some Dragons, Fighting, and Dark Types, such Haxorus, Hydreigon, Salamence (even after Intimidate), Conkeldurr, Keldeo, Terrakion, among others. With Stealth Rock support, Granbull achieves the OHKO on Dragonite and Mandibuzz, two of the bulkiest Pokémon around. Nevertheless... what Dragon, Dark, or Fighting type would want to switch into Granbull? In that case, Crunch serves as a filler, murdering Alakazam, Gengar, and basically any Pokémon that is weak to the move, mostly because they are not bulky, with the exception of the Duskull line and Reuniclus (which are hardly seen). Notice that Alakazam likes to use Trace → Intimidate to stop you, and Gengar will only come after an almost-assured Play Rough or set-up turn.

The EV spread is simple: 248 in HP to make you bulky and able to switch five times into Stealth Rock, 252 Attack to hit hard, and 8 speed to outspeed 4 Speed Conkeldurr... or 4 speed Caterpie. Although the last scenario is unlikely, Conkeldurr might want to stay in to use Knock Off on an incoming Pokémon or just to support its team. Of course, it is OHKOd by Play Rough.

It can not be remarked enough: this set begs for an advanced player who knows how to predict. Otherwise, if Choicing yourself is not your choice, Assault Vest with Earthquake instead of Close Combat is a decent option to fake a supporting role, while, when using Leftovers, you are more exposed to Special Attacks due to the inability to directly OHKO stuff, but it has the nice bonus of using a status move, such as Bulk Up or Heal Bell.

Impish and Careful natures are valid options, but slapping a Choice Band to them is not a nice deal; instead, use Bulk Up and even Heal Bell (therefore, Leftovers as the item of choice), since Stone Edge without ANY investment and a neutral nature OHKOs Talonflame and Charizard (and, obviously, Mega Charizard Y), and even Rock Slide can be used, still OHKOing any Charizard and most Talonflames (Bulk Up one needs Stealth Rock up to change the 62.5% probability to an assured faint). However, do not expect it to deal much damage at +1. Assault Vest with neutral Attack probably will not help you very much.

Granbull, the OddFairy Pokémon. Giving it a try is a unique and entertaining experience, since the only physical Fairy in OU is Azumarill, and it can not be that supportative. At least, I assure you that you will learn a bit more about Pokémon.

So, what do you think about this little rascal? Is its niche more important than Magcargo conuntering Talonflame? Will I go down the ladder and use a NFE Pokémon? Find it out in the next article!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 21:25 by Delicious_Scout »

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 22:43 »
It's very impressive to see your ideas behind using these Pokémon, please keep it going. It's very intriguing as a series.

Offline Raphetty

• Streetpasser Extraordinaire
  • Name Rater Hater
  • 54 Mii Plaza Accomplishments; 924 Plaza Population
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 23:34 »
I would like to see a Kalos Pokémon written about here, perhaps one of these:-

Meowstic
Gogoat
Aromatisse
Slurpuff
Malamar
Clawitzer
Carbink
Trevenant
Avalugg

3DS FC: 3067 - 6449 - 6265 ... Sun trainer name: Rafipi ... X trainer name: Brennica
Omega Ruby trainer name: Moga ... Alpha Sapphire trainer name: Rosella

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 13:41 »
NEEDS MORE LEDIANS.

k thx bye
Slowly an old member..

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 15:35 »
I would second Clawitzer :P

Otherwise, good article once again with LureBull. CB is where it's at.

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 22:13 »
Meowstic... has Prankster if it is a male with his hidden ability. In fact, i was thinking about a general review about pranksters, since this is a very important ability. Clawitzer WILL be done, and so Trevenant (which is a real pain to fight againt) will.

Notice: Granbull does not have to limit itself to OHKOing Pokémon: it can support its team with just Intimidate, and even some status move if not using a Choice Band. Just make sure hazards are not up on your side. Having said that, moving to the next Pokémon is what must be done.

Today, we are talking about something that buzzes people off and bugs them as well. Here... Yanmega.

You know what made it, right? MetaSprite Project.

Yanmega is a very curious case. It is a very big Dragoncat dragonfly from ancient times, thus explaining why it "evolves" from Yanma when it knows Ancient Power. Sporting mastodonic, satanically red eyes, it looks dangerous, and it, indeed, is.

It is the much-needed evolution of Yanma, a UU and NU Pokémon in Generations II and III, respectively. It got the abilities Compound Eyes and Speed Boost, but its stats were just too short. Then, Generation IV occurred: with many other Pokémon from previous generations, it became able to evolve into a beast with the following spread:

Yanmega
HP: 86 | Attack: 76 | Defence: 86 | Special Attack: 116 | Special Defence: 56 | Speed: 95

It kept Speed Boost, but, instead of Compund Eyes, it gained a very powerful ability: Tinted Lens. Basically, Yanmega was one of the best wallbreakers/sweepers of Generation IV in case you had a good Spinner, because Stealth Rock denies 50% of the total health of our Bug/Flying fellow. Precisely, Stealth Rock kept Yanmega away from being OU, but it got close, at BL. Much better than Charizard, which went from BL to NU. NU.

Generation V introduced Darmanitan, which is a Fire Type that basically OHKOs everything in existence. Sheer Force Nidoking (and Queen), competition from Heracross as a bug type, the fact it got a bad hidden ability in Frisk, among other factors, made Yanmega move to UU, while still being viable in OU.

Although Defoggers are a thing, Generation VI has made Yanmega move to BL2. Of course, most defoggers are Flying types, which naturally beat Bug types. Moreover, priority moves are everywhere, especially Bullet Punches and Aqua Jets. However, Generation VI is full of Psychic Types, which are weak to its STAB, making it a less risky choice than the previous Pokémon I ranted reviewed. A bonus is that Yanmega is immune to Sticky Web.

As a Special Attacker with Choice Specs, it is not totally outclassed. In fact, Yanmega is unique in the fact that is the only Speed Boost user that can use Special Attacks effectively. Venomoth does not use Tinted Lens very much, since it prefers to Baton Pass Quiver Dances with Wonder Skin, and now that Baton Pass chains have been nerfed, it is not that effective in the OU tier (although I am sure I will review it at some point).

Here are the sets of the day (for OU).

Buzz Out!

Yanmega @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature (+Effort, -Flatter) (+SpA, -Att)
EV: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
Ability: Tinted Lens

Bug Buzz
Air Slash
Filler U-Turn/Ancient Power/Hidden Power Ground
Filler U-Turn/Ancient Power/Hidden Power Ground

Yanmega's speed tier in OU is so full of competition that simply using paralysis or Sticky Web support is better than just running Timid. Bug Buzz and Air Slash have perefect coverage assuming Tinted Lens, virtually 2HKOing or OHKOing anything on its path. The two other moves can seem jokes, but Yanmega does not need any more moves. HP Ground is useful, but being locked into a Ground Move is unfortunate. Ancient Power deals with Talonflame and Charizard, which are x4 resistant to Bug Buzz, but it is, overall, weak, although the side effect might be useful. U-Turn grant momentum, and this is a very good thing, but remember to keep Stealth Rock off your field at all costs, since half of its life will be blown away when it switches.

The Pink Blobs (Chansey and Blissey) will wall Yanmega, no matter the set.

The EV spread is the common thing for a fast wallbreaker, and 4 EV are moved into Defence just to make sure you can switch into SR two times (you little masochist...).

Need a Bugspenser Here!

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Att) or Timid Nature (+Spe, -Att)
EV: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
Ability: Speed Boost

Bug Buzz
Air Slash
Protect/Hidden Power Ground/Hidden Power Fire/Roost
Hidden Power Ground/Hidden Power Fire/Ancient Power/Giga Drain

This Yanmega plays differently. It needs to be played more carefully, but it still deals a lot of damage. Bug Buzz is for Substitute users and Psychic types, especially for Substitue Mega Alakazam, which is OHKOd. Mega Medicham is OHKOed by Air Slash and Bug Buzz has a little chance to OHKO:

252+ SpA Life Orb Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Medicham: 222-263 (85 - 100.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

As you can see, giving Yanmega a turn of Protect of speed-reducing support, as well as some hazards (1 layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock grant the OHKO on Mega Medicham with Bug Buzz) is very important. Nevertheless, very few Psychic or Fighting types will be willing to stay on its path (be carefull with Conkeldurr, though, since it can survive an Air Slash and retaliate with Ice Punch, while the Life Orb recoil will end you), and this is why Protect can be discarted for more coverage, even some lure-based one. Ancient Power OHKOs Talonflame and Charizard (and Mega Y) while dealing decent damage to Gyarados (BulkyDos needs Stealth Rock to be a sure 2HKO) and to Offensive Togekiss (anyway, it can OHKO Yanmega, given its very low Special Defence). Hidden Power Fire maims Bulky Mega Scizor, as seen below:

252+ SpA Life Orb Yanmega Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor: 317-374 (92.4 - 109%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes (or Stealth Rock)

Hidden Power Ground basically eliminates Heatran and Magnezone, two Pokémon that can make it tremble. And Hidden Power Ice is an option against Dragons, although most of them are hit hard(er) by its STAB moves. Giga Drain gets a mention for being able to take a weakened Keldeo (Air Slash is a sure OHKO, though)...

252+ SpA Life Orb Yanmega Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 234-278 (72.4 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

...as well as Quagsire, but because Baton Pass chains are practically non-existant, it rarely hits hard.

Roost might seem a strange option for such an offensive Pokémon, but...

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Yanmega: 218-260 (69.6 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

...it can survive against a Quick Attack from Mega Pinsir, OHKO it back, and regain the health from Life Orb recoil.

Timid just allows more initial speed, at the cost of very important OHKO. Try it if you are paranoid about being outsped.

Hidden Power Ice is an option if you want to defeat some x4 Ice-weak Dragons, as well as Gliscor and Landorus, which would otherwise cause some trouble. Teammates are made for a reason, though.

As other Options, a Focus Sash is a viable alternative to ensure at least one kill.

Yanmega, one of the only two pre-gen VI megas (the other is Meganium). It is big, fast, threatening, and it is ready to strike with fear those Over-Powered Psychic types.

So, what do you think about Yanmega? Do you think Ninjask or Scolipede are better? Will anyone post here so that I don't double-post? Find it out tomorrow!

Oh, yes. On Saturdays there will be very "special" analyses. It will be a kind of "what-if" scenario with some impressive guests. Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 22:22 by Delicious_Scout »

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 22:27 »
Special guests? Is this some kind of shenanigans by scout? Nonetheless, I think Milotic would be a fun pokemon to cover.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 23:11 »
weakness policy yanmega reks lives too, worth mentioning possibly