Author Topic: Nicknames  (Read 4038 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline NTN

• 2010: Role Playing at its finest.
  • Mulholland Fan
  • My precious... >:)
    • View Profile
Re: Nicknames
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 18:12 »
Quote from: OpallapO
Cute name :3 Clever too.

It's pending for the Name Rater. That's the only mistake I'm making.

My Throh is called Defensei, a combination of Defense and Sensei. I will shoot down the Name Rater where he rated a nickname that follows the idea:

Quote from: The Name Rater
It really does amaze me when people take two words, sling them together, and think that their work is done. This just borders levels of awfulness I didn't think even existed.

The Pokémon's original names are exactly the same. There is no such thing as a level of awfulness for nicknames that follow this idea, because the original names happen to defend them. These nicknames are following an official, copyrighted example, which may not even be nearly as good as the nicknames themselves. This style of naming presents an alternative name for the Pokémon, challenging its own official name. Things like Lazy River the Slowpoke, that's nicknaming material only. As in, Lazy River could never pass as the Pokémon's original name. This style, however, is more than nicknaming material and is at a certain honorable level of cleverness rather than awfulness. And for a Pokémon whose concept and design is already clever, to such an extent that even its original name is so, a nickname might even better stand in its place if we're talking about the name alone. You could bluntly say that I've come to the conclusion that Pokémon's original names suck, but you're well aware that your career is based off "bad" nicknames. But it's not your job that's in question here. It's Pokémon itself. Without the original names that may suck to you, concept and design would run colorless. I wouldn't see Shellos being officially called "Pokemon422." So, in a way, "bad" names hold up the entire Pokémon franchise, without which you would have no life, not just no job.

In response to Snogre the Snover, a nickname of mine. Snover's evolved form is an ice monster, the abominable snowman, so Snover's nickname combines "snow" and "ogre" to reflect the monstrous quality within its line. Snogre even sounds like Snover, so the nickname and its own name mix pretty well. It may have served a good alternative name.

Love Lazy River the Slowpoke! Cute name :3 Clever too.

Just realised Cinderslash doesn't fit for Blaziken... How does Cinderkick sound?

Also got Azurewinds the Altaria.

Cinderkick? Well, it's okay, but I think Blaziken might need something tougher.

A few more nicknames here.

Ursula the Corsola (The aquatic villain from Little Mermaid. A shiny Corsola is blue, while Ursula herself is bluish. They happen to have similar sounding names, and this makes it sweet)

Ichigo the Cyndaquil (A main protagonist from the very popular anime Bleach. His fiery, orange hair is his most noticeable feature, which spikes up the way Cyndaquil's flame does. The man is a fighter with a fiery personality, and Cyndaquil has quite the fiery typing. Both connect through their most noticeable features, and they're even both from anime. This was also pretty cute on a Cyndaquil. :) )     

I am your master.

quack98

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 18:19 »
My Throh is called Defensei, a combination of Defense and Sensei. I will shoot down the Name Rater where he rated a nickname that follows the idea:

I love that name! Better than Throh, at any rate  ;)

As for my nicknames, I don't tend to name them too often, but I've got a few.
-> Chomp the Grotle. It won't do for Torterra, it has to be Grotle. It just fits his mouth.
-> Quinn the Piplup. Only if its male, I don't like Quinn as much as a girls name  :nowink:
-> Hamm the Tepig. My brother had toy story on the TV at the time...
-> Taewonduck the Farfetch'd. How can you not name him that?  ;D

Offline NTN

• 2010: Role Playing at its finest.
  • Mulholland Fan
  • My precious... >:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 18:34 »
"Toilet" the Clefairy. Because it always says "Pipi."
I am your master.

Offline OpallapO

• Rob Fan
  • Doing a Nuzlocke on Platinum and playing White :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 16:00 »
I'm gonna name my Male Kingdra Amaness.
'Amane' is 'water' in Berber.
'Ness' is from 'Highness' and also the Loch Ness Monster :)
Awkward :/