Author Topic: LeafGreen Nuzlocke Challenge!  (Read 2665 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Poseidon

• Spawn of Satan
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
LeafGreen Nuzlocke Challenge!
« on: February 21, 2014, 09:35 »
Hi everyone!

Thought I'd try out a Nuzlocke challenge, and upate my progress here to keep track of my beautiful success/miserable failure.

The rules:
- Only allowed to catch the pokemon in the first encouter in each "area". If it faints or flees, tough luck. If the pokemon is on the evolutionary line as one I've already caught, I'm allowing myself two more chances in that area for another pokemon. After that, it's either catch another one or tough luck.
- Any Pokemon who faints is considered "dead" and must be permanently boxed.
- A white out means game over.
- Challenge doesn't start until Pokeballs are obtained in the beginning of the game!
- Starter must be permanently boxed when the first pokemon is caught.
- All captured pokemon must be given nicknames for stronger "bonds" with them.
- If an HM is absolutely required to progress, and no Pokemon I have can use it, another Pokemon may be caught (or a "dead" Pokemon may be used) for the purposes of using the HM, but said Pokemon must be (re-)premanentlt boxed once a "legit" Pokemon is caught that can learn that HM.
- Pokemon given by NPCs, or those that can be bought at the Game Corner, aren't allowed, but in-game trading with NPCs is fine.

So yeah! THis is my first Nuzlocke challenge so hopefully it'll be fun. I'll probably not update in story format. If anyone wants to suggest nicknames (or team suggestions given those that I capture), or even just wants to laught at my predicament then of course I shall be glad to read your posts!

Hopefully I'll start it this evening. :)

Offline Hazel Grace

• Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
Re: LeafGreen Nuzlocke Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:43 »
The whole boxing the starter thing sounds really difficult... You might be stuck with a Rattata for a while  :P Good luck!  ;D

Offline Poseidon

• Spawn of Satan
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 19:06 »
It's already... let's say frustrating, rather than difficult :P First update!

- Started the game, chose a guy character and named him Jonny (my name).
- Rival became Gary (thank you, wild imagination).
- Chose Squirtle on the premise that the Bulbsaur line has the most weaknesses (although, granted, I didn't spare much thought for the Arcanine-Gyarados / Arcanine-Exeggcutor / Gyarados-Exeggcutor issue that may be encountered later on (assuming I make it that far!)).
- Did the usual beginning bits including delivering a parcel of questionable content to Oak and picking up a Town Map from Daisy, the resident glamour girl of Pallet Town.
- Bumped into a male Rattata, Level 4, on Route 1 which I caught and called Sam (after one of my own lovely rats).
- Stocked up on some antidotes for catching in Viridan Forest (which were needed, as it happens).
- Found a male Pidgey, Level 5, on Route 2, which I got incredible lucky with by landing a critical hit and capturiing before it could knock Sam out - named him Albert (because I was watching Hustle).
- Caught a female Weedle, Level 4, in Viridian Forest, who I named Grub (arguably rather stupidly, given her evolutionary line), which was a little disappoiting as I was hoping for Caterpie or Pikachu. C'est la vie!
- Backtracked to Route 22 and encountered a Rattata. Fortunately, the rules alllowed me two more chances in that instance. Unfortunately, the following two encounters were also with Rattatas. Given that I now have nothing that can do sizeable damage to Rock type Pokemon (my hopes having previously rested on finding a Mankey), I can see Brock being... dififcult.
- Training on Route 1 for Sam, Albert and Grub, when some wild Rattata gets a critical hit and knocks out Sam. Yes, that's right, barely twenty minutes in and I already lost a Pokemon... Rest in peace, Sam, you were a good Rattata (for the ten minutes we were together, anyway).
- Some more training, and Grub evolved from Weedle to Kakuna to Beedrill, which was delightful. (Still have literally no idea how I'm going to get past Brock.)

Pokedex: 6
Time played: 1:28 (Don't judge, Grub was a pain.)

Team:
Albert (Pidgey), Level 10
Grub (Beedrill), Level 10

Dearly departed:
Sam (Rattata), Route 1, Levels 3 - 5

(Still cannot believe I've already lost a Pokemon).

Offline Poseidon

• Spawn of Satan
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 22:38 »
WELL THIS IS EMBARASSING but basically Brock knocked out Grub, leaving me with Albert, who it turned out was too levelled to catch wild pokemon (including in and after Mt Moon) - so I guess I'm going to cheekily restart... :P

Offline Poseidon

• Spawn of Satan
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 01:08 »
Alright - slightly better start!

- Usual stuff: Jonny, Gary, Squirtle.
- Frst encounter on Route 1 was a male Level 3 Rattata which I caught and called Sam (again).
- First encounter on Route 2 was a female Pidgey, Level 3, which I caught and called Polly.
- First encounter in Viridian Forest - male Level 5 Caterpie! So Grub is back (albeit a different Grub) as well.
- First encounter on Route 22 - Level 3, male, Mankey! Obviously a huge relief as I won't have the Brock fiasco again (hopefully...). Called him Twitch.
- Doing a little bit of traning at the moment.

Pokedex: 6
Time played:0:53
Badges: 0

Team:
Grub (Caterpie), Level 6
Sam (Rattata), Level 7
Polly (Pidgey), Level 6
Twitch (Mankey), Level 7

Offline Hazel Grace

• Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 14:20 »
Definitely a better start this time! Twitch will be a huge help against Brock too!

Offline Poseidon

• Spawn of Satan
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 18:20 »
Secpnd update!

- Got my critters to Level 8, resulting in Grub's evolution into Metapod.
- Out-pidgey'ed Gary and Sam took care of Bulbasaur.
- Worked my way through Viridan Forest - Grub again evolved in Butterfree!
- Brock wasn't much of a problem with Twitch's Karate Chop/Low Kick, so that's one Badge!
- Skipped some of the trainers on Route 3 in order to catch a female Spearow (KFC) - was hoping for a Nidoran! - and a male Zubat (Zubzub), Level 10, in Mount Moon, who I'll keep with me for the purposes of catching Pokemon around Cerulean City.
- Went back and finished up Route 3, but Grubs took a critical hit from a Spearow and was knocked out! I'm genuinely gutted, I loved my Grubs :'(
- Did some training on Route 3 and then cleared Mt Moon without too much trouble - Polly evolved into Pidgeotto though!
- Failed to catch anything new on Route 4 (saw a Spearow, a Rattata and then another Spearow) which was unfortuante, I was hoping to bag a Sandshrew, although in fairness it wouldn't be much help against Misty.
- Now just raising some levels on Route 4 - hopefully I'll get lucky and catch a Bellsprout  on the route that lies above Cerulean City, it'd certaintly be helpful.

Pokedex: 28
Time played: 4:20
Badges: 1

Team:
Polly (Pidgeotto), Level 18
Twitch (Mankey), Level 19
Sam (Rattata), Level 18
KFC (Spearow), Level 6
Zubzub (Zubat), Level 10

Dearly departed:
Grub (Butterfree), Route 3, Levels 5 - 12

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 18:25 »
Le sprout will also be helpful for Gym 3 and gym 8.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Poseidon

• Spawn of Satan
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 02:25 »
Third update!

- Gained a few more levels - Sam evolved into Raticate! - and then went off to Route 24 to deal with Gary, who was promptly wiped out :)
- Dealt with nugget bridge but unfortunately wasn't allowed to join Team Rocket, which I always regret :(
- Bumped into Abra on Route 24, but it promptly escaped >.<
- Captured a female (Level 14) Bellsprout, called her Swizzle (don't ask). Also, KFC got knocked out somewhere along the line, I think it may have been during Swizzle's capture.
- Trained Swizzle a little and she evolved into Weepinbell! :D
- Visited Bill and got the SS Ticket.
- Now just trying to decide if I'm ready to take on Misty.

Pokedex: 38
Time played: 5:55
Badges: 1

Team:
Swizzle (Weepinbell), Level 21
Polly (Pidgeotto), Level 22
Sam (Raticate), Level 22
Twitch (Mankey), Level 22
Zubzub (Zubat), Level 10

Dearly departed:
KFC (Spearow), Route 25, Level 6

Offline Poseidon

• Spawn of Satan
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 15:50 »
Fourth update!

- Took on Misty with success, Swizzle did me proud :)
- Caught a male Lv. 16 Meowth on Route 5, called him Scooby.
- Caught another Meowth (Lv.10 female) on Route 6, named Amber.
- Picked up the VS Seeker and the Old Rod in Vermillion City.
- Caught a male, Lv. 5 Magikarp in Vermillion City with the Old Rod. Named him Dagger, will probably train him up before proceeding. Gyarados' Attack stat is usually wasted in 3rd Gen but he CAN learn a nice range of Special TMs so may utilise that instead. Also, Gyarados is beastly :D
- Caught a female, Level 18, Diglett in Diglett's Cave. Say hello to Momma K!
- Caught a Lv.12, male, Sandshrew on Route 11 and called him Kaito. (Was hoping for a Drowzee but Sandshrew is an acceptable substitute :) )
- Will do some training to bring Dagger and Momma K up to level with the othes before doing much else.
- Thinking about training Kaito as well, never used a Sandslash before... although not sure who to switch out, would probably be Sam. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Pokedex: Seen 47, own 17
Time played: 7:54
Badges: 2

Team:
Swizzle (Weepinbell), Level 24
Dagger (Magikarp), Level 5
Sam (Raticate), Level 24 ---> Possibly replace Sam the Raticate with Kaito the Sandshrew?
Polly (Pidgeotto), Level 24
Twitch (Mankey), Level 24
Momma K (Diglett), Level 18

Dearly departed:

Offline Hazel Grace

• Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 15:56 »
Personally, I'd switch Momma K out for Kaito, but that's only because I prefer Sandshrew over Diglett. It also seems better to have just one ground type :)

Offline Poseidon

• Spawn of Satan
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 19:23 »
Yeah, you're right, of course! Unfortunately some sad news about Kaito...

Fifth update!

- Kaito fainted literally in the first battle he was in, which is rather disappointing.
- Dagger fainted soon after he learnt Tackle (after some long, arduous training, I might add).
- Cleared the SS Anne, defeated Gary once again and was given Cut.
- Decided to put Sam away as he wasn't adding much to my team.
- Momma K made short work of Lt Surge and I received my third badge.
- Fought my way through Route 9. Found nothing new in the first three wild encounters.
- Knocked out a Voltorb by accident when trying to catch it >.< Amber was also sadly lost in the attempt :(
- Momma K evolved into Dugtrio, Twitch evolved into Primeape and Scooby evolved into Persian!
- Caught a Geodude (female, Level 16) in Rock Tunnel but decided to keep Momma K as she's doing fairly well.

Pokedex: Seen 64, own 21
Time played: 12:38
Badges: 3

Team:
Twitch (Primeape), Level 28
Polly (Pidgeotto), Level 28
Swizzle (Weepinbell), Level 28
Scooby (Persian), Level 28
Momma K (Dugtrio), Level 28

Dearly departed:
Kaito (Sandsrhew), Route 5, Level 12
Dagger (Magikarp, Route 4, Levels 5 - 15
Amber (Meowth), Route 10, Levels 10 - 11

Offline Poseidon

• Spawn of Satan
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 14:36 »
Sixth update!

- Breezed through Rock Tunnel!
- Bumped in a Vulpix on Route 8 so I caught that and named him Flash.
- Did another large training session on Route 8 cause I figure the best way to beat the E4 will be with high levels.
-  Polly evolved into Pidgeot!
- Picked up the Tea from the old woman in the mansion.
- Bought a Fire stone and evolved Flash into a Ninetales!
- Also bought a Leaf Stone for Swizzle but will wait until she learns Razor Leaf (Level 40? Level 42?) to evolve her.
- Challenged Erika's Gym - between Flash, Polly and Momma K (who knows Aerial Ace) I didn't have much difficulty :)
- Cleared out Team Rocket from the Game Corner and found the Silph Scope.
- Backtracked to Lavender Town and the Tower, where I destroyed Gary once again and am now currently anxiously anticipating my first Pokemon encounter there!

Having some thoughts about my team as well - pretty sure I'll keep Twitch, Momma K, Swizzle and Flash permanently. Polly may be traded out for a Dodrio if I catch one, and I think Scooby will be replaced by a Water type Pokemon when I catch one. I think the Safari Zone will have influence over that, though, depending on what I catch. Will probably use the Super Rod as soon as I get in there and see what I can fish up!

Pokedex: Seen 82, own 24
Time played: 19:41
Bages: 4

Team:
Polly (Pidgeot), Level 37
Scooby (Persian), Level 37
Swizzle (Weepinbell), Level 37
Momma K (Dugtrio), Level 37
Twitch (Primeape), Level 37
Flash (Ninetales), Level 37

Dearly departed:
Kaito (Sandsrhew), Route 5, Level 12
Dagger (Magikarp, Route 4, Levels 5 - 15
Amber (Meowth), Route 10, Levels 10 - 11

Offline Poseidon

• Spawn of Satan
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 16:49 »
Okay, been a few days, but made some good progress. Seventh update!

- Knocked out the first Gastle I found in Lavender Tower :/
- Got the Poke Flute from Mr Whats-his-name.
- Caught a Snorlax to replace Scooby, called him Thor, but he was too slow so I brought back Scooby :P
- Caught a Dodrio down Cycling Road, called her Matriarch and replaced Polly with her. Trained her up to level and now I have a beautiful Dodrio :)
- Disaster strikes on Cycling Road! Scooby takes a critical hit and faints! I'M SO SORRY SCOOBY, I FAILED YOU, DON'T HAT ME
- In the Safari Zone, got lucky and caught a Rhyhorn (Juggernaut). Momma K's horrendous defenses have been starting to irritate me a bit so I decided to trial Juggernaut and he's working out pretty well :)
- Acquired the Super Rod and caught a Staryu in Pallet Town! Named it Kracken, nice addition to my team!
- Struggled a little with Koga's Gym once Juggernaut and Kracken were up to level but thankfully I got the badge with the help of a large stock of Antidotes :D
- Swizzle learnt Razor Leaf and I evolved her into Victreebel!
- Made my way to Saffron City and dealt with Gary and Giovanni with relative ease.
- Tore through the Fighting Gym with Kracken and Dodrio.
- Sabrina's Gym gave me some hassle but Juggernaut was pretty good about it :)
- Surfed my way to the Seafoam Islands, caught a Slowpoke there (Herp).
- Arrived at Cinnabar Island and that's where I am now, about to check out the Mansion!

Pokedex: Seen 112, own 33
Time played: 32:57
Badges: 6

Team:
Juggernaut (Rhyhorn), Level 48
Swizzle (Victreebel), Level 48
Twitch (Primeape), Level 48
Kracken (Starmie), Level 48
Matriarch (Dodrio), Level 48
Flash (Ninetales), Level 48

Dearly departed: