Misc > Debate

Horse meat in burgers - yay or neigh?

(1/8) > >>

Shaymin:
yes the pun was intended
anyway, recently tesco and many other companies have been under fire for supplying burgers with horse meat in them. British people don't eat horsemeat because horses are apparently pets. the continent does eat horsemeat, because it's food?
so, are you honestly ~~bothered~~ about this entire debacle or do you just not care? to be honest, i don't. my guinea pigs are seen as food in other countries and there's nothing i can do about that. also i ate bambi's mom sooooooooooo
discuss

.~:Sly Foxx:~.:
Do I have a problem with horse meat? No. Heck, I've knowingly eaten horse meat, and it's pretty yummy. I don't have an issue with eating horses.

However, I don't think it's right to put the horse meat in there while advertising their product as 100% beef because that is downright lying. That's where I hold issue... Also, despite what I said above, I think horse meat should be available if people want it but lordy me don't feed horse meat to people without telling them. I have cats, and I would never knowingly eat cat meat, and other people can if they want but it would just sicken me. I want to have that freedom of choice, thank you.

Of course, this isn't the only thing being snuck into products without listing it on the ingredients label, but while the main objection for chemicals is health reasons, the main objection for horses is personal reasons. On one level health is probably the more important... On another level the moral revulsion some people might feel upon learning they've been eating horse, I feel for them. We definitely consider the revulsion aspect important, and I can appreciate it. Most people would feel repulsion about cannibalism, and that's because they're eating a person very similar to them. Logically or not, we tend to rank animals we keep as pets in second, and animals we don't in third. So depending on where you draw the line, some people might consider this worse than the chemicals... And at least with the chemicals you kind of know they're there even if they're not listed. This kind of thing has probably come as a bit of a shock to a lot of people.

I'm not following it closely, and it doesn't trouble me much on some levels, but on other levels it disturbs me how little I know about exactly what is in my food. And I do feel for the people who've been upset by it. (Though of course this is very much a first world perspective... I won't deny that.)

Clairefable:
I don't see the big deal at all about horsemeat. At least it's actual MEAT, unlike the snouts and anus and entrails that are in your average sausage.

My friend and I were just talking about this kind of thing earlier. Last year on a college trip to Amsterdam I had rabbit stew, and you would think I'd just ordered fresh baby. When I asked the horrified girl across from me what was so different about the rabbit I was eating and the pork she had, her answer was that "pigs aren't cute", so therefore it's fine to eat them. It's a mentality I just can't get my head around.

.~:Sly Foxx:~.:
I agree, I'm quite against the 'because they're cute' mentality some people adopt. I can't stand it when people use that as an argument for 'why it's okay to squash bugs for fun' or what have you, ugh.

All the same... Like I said, personal attachment. The reason I would balk at cats for food is because it would make me imagine eating my own cats, which would repulse me. Cute widdle rabbits and ducks? Omnom. No problems there. Likewise I wouldn't be surprised if someone who kept pigs for pets refused to eat pork but would happily chow down on dog - I can understand that. I see a bit of a difference there between personal attachment and 'because it's cute'... Though maybe I shouldn't.

Liam:
I'm not really bothered, meat is meat.

we buy our burgers from the butcher anyway

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version