Misc > Debate

Feminism, Fedoras and SJWs on tumblr - Where Do You Stand?

(1/10) > >>

Turner:
Okay so if you've spent any time on the internet in the past year or so, you will have no doubt caught wind of a wave of Feminism that has really become a trending topic particularly thanks to places like tumblr and their predominantly female userbase. No doubt you will have seen the 'I need feminism because ______' meme which has spread all the way to sites like YouTube and Facebook too.

Conversely, on sites like Reddit there is a growing trend for young adult males, (Particularly My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fans) known as 'Fedoras' for their penchant for well...wearing fedoras, who complain that they are 'nice guys' and that women are mean to them and put them in the 'friend zone' instead of dating them.

An SJW is a 'Social Justice Warrior' - someone who blogs intently, challenging the current social system and all its wrongdoings and marginalization. Many feminists also fall under this title, they can be extremely militant and often command straight/cis/white/able/skinny/etc. people to 'check their privilege'.

The whole topic is pretty convoluted and I can only hope the majority of people here know what I'm talking about or else this topic is gonna fall flat on its face.

Where do you place yourself on the feminism compass? Misogynist? Misandrist? Radfem? MRA? Do you think the whole thing is a load of crap that you'd rather not get involved in or are you behind the movement 100%?

tl;dr: let's all have a rape culture/nice guys/misogyny/fedora/feminism/SJW blow-out debate and call each other mean names (not really)

Clairefable:
I've been kind of sitting on this for about a day because there's so many rant worthy things in here that I just don't know where to start D:

So first, guys that whine about being "friendzoned for being NICE GUYS" are not "nice guys". If you think that being nice to a woman means that she is obligated to date/sleep with you, then you are not a "nice guy". If you get upset when she doesn't want to date/sleep with you, and start calling her all sorts of terrible things and stalking her and being a general creeper, YOU ARE NOT A NICE GUY. And maybe you should stop telling women to "get back in teh kitchen and make me a sammich lololol!!!11" while you're at it.

The SJW warrior movement I *hate*. I hate it, because according to SJWs, being a caucasian ablebodied heterosexual living in the first world makes me The Worst Person. The only thing that I have in my favour is the fact I'm a woman and can identify with some kind of "oppressed minority", or other such nonsense. (except not really though because "white girl problems!!!")

I sort of understand what they're trying to do, but hating on white people is not the answer to racism, hating straight people is not the answer to homophobia, hating men is not the answer to misogyny, #firstworldproblems memes will not end world hunger, etc etc. Fighting hate with hate will not solve any problems. Whining about social issues on Tumblr rather than, you know, doing anything, will not solve anything.

And uuuh feminism yeh. Again, as with SJW, the whole thing has been hijacked by people who just want an excuse to hate another group of people rather than addressing the issues at hand. The "I Need Feminism Because..." is a really though provoking, interesting campaign, and there are things I've read that even I didn't realise that I "need" feminism for until they were pointed out to me (internalised misogyny!!!).

I'm just a misanthropist who hates everyone.

quack98:

--- Quote from: Clairefable on July 31, 2013, 12:36 ---I sort of understand what they're trying to do, but hating on white people is not the answer to racism, hating straight people is not the answer to homophobia, hating men is not the answer to misogyny, #firstworldproblems memes will not end world hunger, etc etc. Fighting hate with hate will not solve any problems. Whining about social issues on Tumblr rather than, you know, doing anything, will not solve anything.

--- End quote ---

This is pretty much what I think. If your counter to Racism/Homophobia/Sexism is hating on the oppressors, then you, quite simply, are bringing yourself down to their level. Yes, it's unfair that its happening, but it is being attempted to be stopped, many people aren't Racist, it's a minority (although, still too many people).

One of my biggest hates with SJWs are the ones that complain when a heterosexual person says being gay is unnatural. It is. I am gay, and I know it's unnatural, if it were natural then we would be able to reproduce that way. Fair enough, people don't need to point out its unnatural, but people can't really complain when they do.

--- Quote from: Clairefable on July 31, 2013, 12:36 ---So first, guys that whine about being "friendzoned for being NICE GUYS" are not "nice guys". If you think that being nice to a woman means that she is obligated to date/sleep with you, then you are not a "nice guy". If you get upset when she doesn't want to date/sleep with you, and start calling her all sorts of terrible things and stalking her and being a general creeper, YOU ARE NOT A NICE GUY. And maybe you should stop telling women to "get back in teh kitchen and make me a sammich lololol!!!11" while you're at it.

--- End quote ---

This is true. The whole 'make me a sandwich' gets me annoyed too, it's just pathetic. It works in Subway, but anywhere else and they'll probably get slapped  ;D.

With regards to feminism, in the UK & US, women are treated equally to men (or at least, for the most part are). Yes, you're always going to get the idiots who think men are superior, but I don't think there's much else for women to campaign for. I think feminism is important, as it won women the right to vote, we've had a female PM etc. I think of the three things, feminism is the only one that doesn't really annoy me.

sylar:

--- Quote from: Робин on July 31, 2013, 13:52 ---With regards to feminism, in the UK & US, women are treated equally to men ... I don't think there's much else for women to campaign for.

--- End quote ---

haha umm not really lol??

women still need to rally to be allowed permission to do what they want with their bodies
women are still blamed for being rape victims because they dress how they want
women are still paid less than men for doing the same jobs men do
women are still seen as weak; people still use words like 'pussy' and 'little girl' as insults
women are forced into a standard of beauty and judged based on how close to that standard they are
women are still objectified in the videogame industry and harrassed if they try to get involved in that industry
women are still catcalled against their will in the street. "hey sexy, nice tits" isnt a compliment, funnily enough
women are still just seen as a pair of tits and a vagina by a lot of people
women are still treated very inequally by the government. do you remember the filibuster not too long ago? and how wendy was forced to stand for thirteen hours and speak for the right to have an abortion? her appeal was almost completely ignored because she needed help adjusting her backbrace so she could continue speaking for those thirteen hours, and even through all of her hard work and crowd support, the bill she was appealing against was still passed by a male from the same government without him having to stand for thirteen hours to say why he should have control over a womans body. she was not taken seriously at all.

women are still not taken seriously in a lot of life situations. they can vote, a woman was pm, but that is NOT equal.
and the fact we even have to be fighting for a womans right to do ANYTHING is a shining example of misogyny in the world today.
women should be able to live equally as men, have the right to their own bodies, be able to go out to a party or out at night without fear of being taken advantage of, be able to play videogames without seeing themselves objectified by the industry theyre supporting, and overall be able to exist without being seen as inferior or sex objects by anyone.

theres a lot to still campaign for, man, get your head out your ass.

Clairefable:
^ thank you I didn't really touch on this yet because I wasn't sure how/what I wanted to say but this is pretty much it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version