Author Topic: APPEAL: Haiti  (Read 7436 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
APPEAL: Haiti
« on: January 15, 2010, 23:30 »

In case you've been living under a rock for the past week, I've got a story to tell you.

What happened?
On Tuesday 12th January, a tiny little Caribbean country called Haiti was hit by a devastating earthquake.

Haiti is already one of the poorest countries in the world; to have its capital city, Port au Prince, at the epicentre of the earthquake, was the stuff of nightmares. The buildings are - were - simple concrete structures, with none of the damping and stabilising features of the buildings of richer countries. And this wasn't just a single earthquake - if the initial magnitude 7 quake wasn't bad enough, more than 10 aftershocks of magnitude 5 or above followed.

This city of a million people is gutted. It is estimated that up to 50,000 people have died. Heaps of rubble lie everywhere, with countless people trapped underneath. Rescue teams are racing against time to find the survivors among the bodies, but time is running out and the death count rises every day. Communications are down, so people have no way of knowing if their families have survived.

And the outlook isn't good for the survivors, either. Food, medicine and water supplies are almost exhausted, and there is nowhere to shelter - refugees are having to camp in the street under blankets, many sporting serious injuries. They may have survived the earthquake but, without aid, disease will rapidly spread among them. Others may starve.

What can I do?
There are people working night and day to relieve the situation, to help these poor people. Rescue teams are still searching for survivors; medics are seeing to injuries one by one; volunteers are distributing the scant food supplies and blankets to the needy.

But they need our help.

By donating to any one of these charities - Oxfam, DEC, Red Cross, Christian Aid, and countless others - you can help. You can even donate over the counter at a bank or post office. Any amount will do; just £10 will provide a family with much-needed healthcare. Still got some Christmas money kicking around? You could buy the Joe McElderry CD.. or you could save a life. Admit it, saving a life is a pretty nifty thing to do with your spare cash.

Please, please give anything you can.

(Now! Go on, do it!)

But Kay, what's in it for me?

You get a warm fuzzy feeling; shame on you for asking!

Just kidding ;) as we did with the tsunami appeal a few years back, we will be rewarding donators with a little something for your profile: your Pokéballs will be magically turned into Safari Balls. Just send us some sort of confirmation that you've donated (a screenshot or something of a confirmation that your payment has been received, maybe forward the confirmation email, with all personal information blanked out of course) and your username before the end of January to seniorstaff@pkmn.net. We will delete all emails immediately after altering your profile, for security reasons.

You also get golden e-brownies, fresh out of the virtual oven. They smell delicious.

So go get giving! Do something that really matters today.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 00:02 by Dragonpika »

wake up, kids
    we've got the dreamers disease

ginrei

Re: APPEAL: Haiti
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 23:34 »
When skimming that post I could have sworn it said "Just £10 can provide a family with a much needed Joe McElderry CD".

Which made me think, "surely they've suffered enough!" D:

Nice job guys, gonna throw money at it cause I said I would kthx. :V

Offline Mulholland

• Senior Staff Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • Poyo?
    • View Profile
    • Before I Kick
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 23:37 »
Just sent in my donation too.

I can't believe the sheer magnitude of this thing

Thanks for the link Kay

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 00:15 »
I could possibly arrange for my parents to donate some of my pocket money towards the end of the month, when my dad gets payed. o.o

I'll let you guys know. :)

Offline Caldoran

• Act as Rum
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • Ameba Gone Zingy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 07:17 »
Sent in my very tiny donation. May send more when I get more cash to.
The above statements are masterfully crafted fabrications.

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 08:55 »
EDIT: Donating as soon as possible with as much as I can, which is probably only around £5 :/
But hey, I've promised people that as soon as we help reach that LJ comm I mentioned before's $15,000 goal, I'm dying my hair any colour that anyone chooses. Just because. It's gonna be worth it though~

keep droppin dem bills guys~
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:14 by Sylar »

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Afro-Disiak

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 11:01 »
For some reason it won't accept my card :< I'm using a Visa Debit and it doesn't accept it no matter which card type I choose :< I'll find another way to donate I'm sure...

Super Paper Arwing

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 11:14 »
I'll probably be doing what Liam is...If I'm even allowed to donate.Although I'm not sure about PM'ing the Senior Staff about the donation,that'd make me feel like I only donated for the Safari Balls.But the brownies sound good...
Although ONM comes out today,I'll have to leave it today :(
I want to at least do SOMETHING to help anyone.

ginrei

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 11:59 »
For some reason it won't accept my card :< I'm using a Visa Debit and it doesn't accept it no matter which card type I choose :< I'll find another way to donate I'm sure...

There's a paypal link on that, er, link there if it's any good to you

Afro-Disiak

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 12:06 »
Yeah, I managed to donate my mahonies over PayPal using PennyAppeal.

Offline Neon Nocturnal

• Just Lurkin'
  • 1337 Donator
  • Joeno Fan
  • Lurkin' a lurkin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 12:40 »
I donated, but then made the mistake of forgetting my username. :P
I sent a separate email with my username. I hope our donations help to make peoples lives better. :)

Offline Mulholland

• Senior Staff Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • Poyo?
    • View Profile
    • Before I Kick
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 13:17 »
The number of people on this site who have donated has... well it's really warmed my heart :)

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 13:33 »
Not the biggest donation, but I am looking to donate £5 later today. Hopefully my mum will get round to helping me to do so.

I'll post back in a while! =)

EDIT: As first thought, it will have to wait until next week. :/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 14:13 by Liam »

Offline #Emma---#

• 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • =]
    • View Profile
    • My DA - PinkBlueBlackRed
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 13:43 »
I had actually already donated some money to Oxfam, after receiving an email about it from Paypal =]

I'll probably donate a bit more later, as it's going to a good cause. It's nice to see so many people here donating ^^

Offline Webby

• Don't come back up unless you're wearing a pussy moustache!
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 14:29 »
Just popping in to say I'm really happy to see everyone making an effort to donate! Shows we have a lovely community here. =]
My bank account, being a child's account, doesn't allow me to do any online banking and doesn't act as a debit card so I can't donate just yet. x.x
I'll see if I can find somewhere to donate in town on Monday. If all else fails, I'll ask someone to donate for me.

"i hope you get niall bursting out of a tower cake singing "happy birthday mr president" and he's wearing a "miss america 2013" sash while giving you a 3 hour lapdance"