Author Topic: Baking!  (Read 5267 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Baking!
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 21:23 »
I'm not much of a baking kind of person myself, but of course I would love to do baking! Particularly cheesecake and such.

Mum did make Gingerbread Latté (accent might be unnecessary) Fudge recently, and it is pretty damn good. She also made some truffles too, and they are verrrrryyyyy nice.

Offline Wrath of Zuruggu

• Sentret Fan
  • Flailing with arrogance since 1990
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART account
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 21:44 »
I used to really enjoy baking cakes, coffee cakes especially, but now I can't eat them it's put something of a dampener on the whole thing and I've not made one in quite a while..

I used to love putting loads of cream on cakes but as I can't stomach it now it's an awful bummer... Especially as so many recipes call for some kind of high fat cream to make a filling.

Ho hum, I try to taylor recipes to how I can eat them now anyway :>

Guys, all these baked goods are making me so hungry v_v

I like making cookies and this awesome banana bread when I have the stuff and the time to.

Omg I have loads of black bananas in the freezer, please share your banana bread recipe :>

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 21:46 »
^Really it's just your average recipe minus the nuts. However if you'd like the recipe that much, I'll shoot you a pm.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 12:04 »
Just baked some bread for my sister coming home, so I thought I may as well post it here:

DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 05:17 »
//runs into topic panting and taking a puff from blue inhaler// did......did someone make a weed joke yet

(this was going to be a post about my recent escapades in baking bread aka The Staff Of Life but it sounded dorky as all hell and also went on for about 5 paragraphs)
(however i will say im very curious about no knead bread as i just do not have the patience to develop the gluten to the point where it makes a decent windowpane test result and nice open crumb,
also i wish our oven had a pilot light - its the perfect place for proofin ur bread)

edit:

Just baked some bread for my sister coming home, so I thought I may as well post it here:

not bein a dick or anything but do you slash the loaf before it goes in at all???? it looks a little like you got a bit of a liftoff/bursting going on, but it could also be a bad angle of photo so if it is then disregard, like i honestly can't tell whether thats a burst or an ear
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 05:27 by LOOK AROUND YOG. »
           

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 07:53 »
not bein a dick or anything but do you slash the loaf before it goes in at all???? it looks a little like you got a bit of a liftoff/bursting going on, but it could also be a bad angle of photo so if it is then disregard, like i honestly can't tell whether thats a burst or an ear

Nah, didn't slash it, but the bread has kinda split on the top? Makes it look more homemade, so I quite like it, but yeah, I think it's just because it filled the tin to the top so both sides lean to the side when they rise leaving the middle split slightly?

Buuut, it's definitely not an ear xD
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 18:18 »
Nah, didn't slash it, but the bread has kinda split on the top? Makes it look more homemade, so I quite like it, but yeah, I think it's just because it filled the tin to the top so both sides lean to the side when they rise leaving the middle split slightly?

Buuut, it's definitely not an ear xD

the split/blowout is because when it bakes, the oven spring (see the end of my post) causes the surface tension on the dough to go tight as all hell on the top as it bakes/expands, and if there's no way to relieve it (which is usually done by slashing it) the top of the bread just rips and blows out

its not a problem most of the time, ive had at least a third of my loaves do this cos im still getting the hang of slashing, but in some cases depending on when it splits it can release a load of the vapour inside the bread and the bread can end up sorta a bit stodgy and deflated, cos (longwinded explanation of leavening and yeast and CO2) and you need the vapour to stay inside the bread until it's cooled

like i hope you know im not pointing at it and going BAD LOAF cos any loaf is good (i personally wish society as a whole would return to Homemade Bread and cast chorleywood process bread back into the hell where it belongs) but its more a "just a lil tip for some indeterminate time in the future" thing

(p.s. an ear is in reference to this, its one of those Satisfying Baking Achievements, along with a good oven spring and a nice open crumb. )
           

Offline Wrath of Zuruggu

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART account
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 20:37 »

I made a fruit bread yesterday and slashed the top... then it did the explody thing from the bottom instead v_v It's like the bread was /trying/ to defy me.

Offline .~.Nellie.~.

• 1337 Donator
  • Joeno Fan
  • Mrs Lovett, serving people since 1846 ^-^
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 12:44 »
I absolutely love baking!

I've watched a bit of the Bake-Off from time to time but only when I travel home as I don't have a TV.

My most recent bakes are coconut chocolate brownies, White chocolate and ginger cheesecake and Caramelized Pecan and Maple cake ~ Needless to say I am rather popular with my housemates!
Conscience is just another word for cowardice.

Offline That Girl in the 'Roo Suit

• "You'll go far with your compassion. But unless you have the tenacity, you'll never make it to the top"
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • WE ROXOR U THEN U AM CRY
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 15:13 »
I baked an amaretto loaf cake yesterday!
-~-
Well did she make you cry? Make you break down?
Shatter your illusions of love?
And is it over now? Do you know how
To pick up the pieces and go home?
-~-

Offline Wrath of Zuruggu

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART account
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 21:07 »
^have you tried that apple cake yet?

I just baked a batch of eggless cookies! Oaty raisin and coconut soft cookies :3 It's my favourite recipe because it's so quick and easy and I think pretty much impossible to ruin during the baking time.

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 21:16 »
 Really would like to try making brownies soon.

Would any of you recommend any "off the record" baking tips? I'm thinking a little splash of Baileys? I'm not sure what that would accomplish though.

They're not going to be that kind of brownies... I just figured that they looked more fun than gingerbread people.

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2014, 13:52 »
^ Baileys in buttercream is amazing, I made far too much of it once and put a tupperware tub of it in our flat fridge - everyone kept going and eating little spoonfuls of it when they were in the kitchen, it was the most unhealthy and tasty few days until it ran out!

wake up, kids
    we've got the dreamers disease

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2014, 16:15 »
 Oooh I might try that when I'm feeling better! The recipe for buttercream doesn't look too crazy either  ^.^

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2014, 16:44 »
My buttercream recipe is literally soften butter slightly and add icing sugar until it tastes right, sometimes with a splash of flavouring or evaporated milk to make it less fluffy and more creamy - I think technically you're meant to use special things, but butter + icing sugar has always served me well!

wake up, kids
    we've got the dreamers disease