Author Topic: This website is dead  (Read 15157 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Woobooboo123

This website is dead
« on: August 13, 2015, 03:26 »
This website has died, hasn't it? Name Rater takes even longer to rate names than he used to, the caption contest has been deserted, there's not been an Ask Sentret in ages... RIP pkmn.net

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
Re: This website is dead
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 03:29 »
Well making a topic like this to yell everyone for it with the name you chose isn't exactly helping either. In fact, it may come as a shock to you but it actually drives off other people from joining the site and possibly making it more active.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 04:20 »
Well, yeah, ain't that the truth

Everyone's grown up, which is sort of a shame.  I was probably the youngest of the "old guard" of active users back in the day, and I'm now 22 with a BS.  So don't be too surprised.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 05:51 »
You gotta think too -- pokemon was in it's heyday when a lot of us joined for the first time, and its fanbase has been shrinking and shrinking. as well, i feel like forums have generally fallen out of favor -- i feel like social media covers the majority of how information is shared.

We're also between major games at this moment, so that doesn't help either. The age thing also matters -- I joined this site when I was 9. I'm 19 now. I have a lot of different interests and pokemon has largely been put on the back burner.

And I agree, it sucks the name rater and sentret are down. But even when this site was at its peak there were still huge queues and a lot of submissions never got answered...

I still feel like we have an interesting and cool community left here, that's why I keep coming back.

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 05:54 »
well done figuring that one out lol
what liz said tbh. its dead but yall who keep coming back are why i keep coming back. its always been about the community for me.

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 08:06 »
I hope that the community aspect will mean the site will never be completely dead. Even though activity levels are so low compared with back in the day that element of coming back to see what's going on, how the gang who still posts are doing, etc. still remains (at least for me).

Stay strong, friends

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 13:45 »
This website has died, hasn't it? Name Rater takes even longer to rate names than he used to, the caption contest has been deserted, there's not been an Ask Sentret in ages... RIP pkmn.net

i dont see you putting any effort into restoring it to its former glory!!!
           

Offline q1q2q3q4

• The one who lives in their own imagination
  • Iceduck Fan
  • My face doesn't do expressions. My mind does them.
    • View Profile
    • Adoptablez Mania (work in progress, unfinished)
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 17:12 »

It's still got a bit of life... A small struggle maybe. People should never give up just because most aren't on anymore.

I agree with this, but I have to say that it doesn't help forums when people see posts like this. It's just saying 'this place is dead, there's no point in joining'.

Although I join so called 'dead' sites. It's just something I do, I guess.
Dragon cave and Magistream pets

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 19:53 »
Most people on the site are British and of a similar age, almost all of the most active members back in the day went to University, grew up and ended up being occupied with their own lives. As a result their interest in Pokemon dropped (No longer a regular part of a Pokemon community, can't afford to buy new handheld consoles, no motivation to learn another few hundred Pokemon etc.).

On top of that, internet communities have become homogenized. Social Media killed a lot of forum and IRC activity and when people began to get sick of it (Because let's face it, people on facebook are generally awful) the internet communities that did exist were homogenized.

If you're an 'internet person' and Age + Social media hasn't turned you into a normal functioning member of society, the likelyhood is that you've assimilated into either the tumblr, Reddit or 4chan community and stick with familiar people there. People won't like to hear this but to a large extent you can probably divide most people here into one of those communities (including facebook).

You've either gotta let it slowly die and be reborn when this all blows over (If it does) or push things forward and adapt.

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 22:05 »
This topic appears like every 6 months - year and I've yet to see the site actually die.
Sure it's not going to reach <2009 levels of activity (in my time here I remember that as being the most active year I guess but obv in the early years it had more activity than that) but it's been chugging along since then.
Like everyone else I've stayed for the community and nostalgic reasons really. Saying that though it's a nice little corner of the internet, I like the smallness of the community and I've made some good friends here over the years. Like compared to other forums I've been on there's no competitiveness over post counts or who has the most rep etc, it's nice.

Offline "Alvin"

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 23:10 »
I joined when I was 12, and I'm 21 now. I used to be really active. I have over 3000 posts and I haven't been active for years.

The community is tight, yes, but imo I always sort of found that intimidating. It's really hard to make a name for yourself here. Despite how active I was on this and for how long, I doubt many people remember me. Everyone is welcoming and kind here but it still feels like the equivalent of being the new kid in school, but with people who have basically grown up together.

I still remember the site would peak at 50+ members online at the same time and IRC was really active. But when everyone in my friend group "moved on," it was tough finding my place here. I think that's what stopped me from coming back.

Maybe I'm just being silly with this, but I lurk here every few weeks or months and this is the first time I felt like I had something to say. As a kid who didn't know how to act when given anonymity, this site helped me gain some maturity but it'll be tough to replicate that now that all the regulars are adults with responsibilities and the new members are probably around the age I was when I joined. It's a tough issue to address because newer members won't be able to have the same experience we had.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 23:50 by Ravager »

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 03:27 »
I joined when I was 12, and I'm 21 now. I used to be really active. I have over 3000 posts and I haven't been active for years.

The community is tight, yes, but imo I always sort of found that intimidating. It's really hard to make a name for yourself here. Despite how active I was on this and for how long, I doubt many people remember me. Everyone is welcoming and kind here but it still feels like the equivalent of being the new kid in school, but with people who have basically grown up together.

I still remember the site would peak at 50+ members online at the same time and IRC was really active. But when everyone in my friend group "moved on," it was tough finding my place here. I think that's what stopped me from coming back.

Maybe I'm just being silly with this, but I lurk here every few weeks or months and this is the first time I felt like I had something to say. As a kid who didn't know how to act when given anonymity, this site helped me gain some maturity but it'll be tough to replicate that now that all the regulars are adults with responsibilities and the new members are probably around the age I was when I joined. It's a tough issue to address because newer members won't be able to have the same experience we had.

I feel that. The people I used to hang around with back in the day aren't here either. There are a few scattered around but it's not the same. I try and keep things mainly Pokemon oriented here because I don't feel as much a part of the community as I used to be. I'm still very much into Pokemon though and I like discussing it here, so I intend on doing that until either the site or the franchise eventually falls.

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 07:25 »
The community is tight, yes, but imo I always sort of found that intimidating. It's really hard to make a name for yourself here.

I felt that up until like... 2012. Back when the site was bigger I really only had 2 or 3 people on this website that I'd be comfortable with adding on MSN and stuff. I feel like if you wanna get noticed and be part of a community that will know you by name now's the time haha

I find the site is a hell of a lot less cliquey now and I'm a big fan of that. I only wish the art forums and role play had the same amount of people going in and out that it used to!

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 08:58 »
On top of that, internet communities have become homogenized. Social Media killed a lot of forum and IRC activity and when people began to get sick of it (Because let's face it, people on facebook are generally awful) the internet communities that did exist were homogenized.

If you're an 'internet person' and Age + Social media hasn't turned you into a normal functioning member of society, the likelyhood is that you've assimilated into either the tumblr, Reddit or 4chan community and stick with familiar people there. People won't like to hear this but to a large extent you can probably divide most people here into one of those communities (including facebook).

Gotta add YouTube/Twitch has become one of those places. I myself have found myself going over there for Pokemon that still has a community feel. In particular Twitch has a great community feel with quite a lot of people knowing each other, I end up recognising people in almost anyone's chat. It's still mainly based around Pokemon Battling/Shiny Hunting/Wonder Trading, but there's still a chat between the streamer and the viewer which is incredible. It gives off the same PKMN.Net community feel, but in a different dynamic.
Slowly an old member..

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 16:16 »
I only wish the art forums and role play had the same amount of people going in and out that it used to!

I kinda wish that too tbh, because they could start rp's up and I wouldn't have to wait half a year for a new idea to come to me and it sit unused until then. Plus it's fun.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN