Author Topic: Team Building Q+A Thread  (Read 47085 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Legacy

• I know I'm in my own little world but it's ok, they know me here.
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Team Building Q+A Thread
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2011, 19:47 »
Could someone let me know the best spots to EV train for each stat on Pokemon Black? I just caught a Jolly Natured Excadrill with Sand Force in Victory Road, and I'd rather EV train it than waste time breeding it later to get the same nature.

Also, can someone help me to figure out it's IV's, or help me to figure them out myself? I know it's easier said than done, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
No man is ever truly good.
No man is ever truly evil.
I do the things you never could,
and we won't ever be equal

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2011, 20:19 »
Route 1 Surfing is the best for Speed, with Basculin 100% and they give 2 Evs in Speed.

Route 1 is also the best for Attack, with all off the Pokémon in the grass giving +1 Attack EVs.

Celestial Tower is the best for Special Attack, with both wild Pokémon giving +1 Special Attack EVs.

Victory Road is the best as far as I knwo for Defense, with Durant (the most common Pokémon) and Boldore (Another common Pokémon) giving out +2 Defense EVs, only in the caves.

Those are the few ones off the top of my head.

And I'll let someone else do IVs, because I'm a bit tired...

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2011, 20:34 »
@Legacy

This lists EV hotspots

And Excadrill, even with Jolly, is probably going to be outsped by a lot of things unless it has sand rush. I'd seriously suggest rebreeding for one with Sand rush because that is the main reason why Excadrill is so deadly is because of that ability. You can easily get the nature you want by using an everstone. :)

As for IVs, you just plop your stats into an IV calculator and you'll be told right away. Usually it will only give useful results if you are a high level so if you are under level 50 you can go to the Battle Subway to boost your level and give you a more definite answer.

Offline Legacy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2011, 20:57 »
Thanks Liam. You've made a decent point there so I'll rebreed once I've beaten the league. I'll still EV train it anyway just to get some of the training areas stuck into my head =]

kr9q

« Reply #169 on: July 27, 2011, 23:58 »
Is there an easy way to get pokerus in White?

Dracoandy666

« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2011, 00:00 »
Is there an easy way to get pokerus in White?

I'm afraid there isn't an easy way to get Pokerus in any game as far as I'm aware. It's just a random chance much like getting a Shiny.

Offline Legacy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2011, 00:01 »
I don't think there's such a thing as an 'easy way' of getting pokerus, unless it's through trading a pokemon infected with it from somebody else. Otherwise it's kind of a waiting game. Although it may be different in Gen V (I doubt it.)

Offline ProffesorSnapeTheSnivy

• Pokemon Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2011, 11:57 »
hey! im playing my pokemon black and im getting in to the competitves im gonna use my serperior thats the only certain i have but i was thinking of getting a candelure and a hydreigon. can i get some help

Offline Legacy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2011, 12:03 »
What do you mean by help? Could you be a little more specific, so that we can help you as best as we can =] If we don't know what help you need, we may not give you the advice you were looking for.

EDIT: How does this Umbreon set sound?

Umbreon@Leftovers/Shell Bell
Adamant Nature (Could and perhaps should be changed)
EVs: 152HP/104Atk/252Sp.def
-Wish/Payback
-Heal Bell
-Curse
-Sucker Punch

Admittedly it's very much a luck based moveset in some ways, and is gimmicky.
Curse ups Defence and Attack. Speed drop is pretty much nulled unless I need wish or Heal Bell. Sucker Punch is very luck based, so I'm thinking of replacing Wish with Payback to ensure I get a hit in.

Nature and EVs give Umbreon base 211 attack, which is low so maybe adding more EVs is needed here. Leftovers is the healing item of choice, but Shell Bell would be great if I get a high powered sucker punch out.

I don't know how well this would work, but crits would be awesome.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 14:56 by Legacy »

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2011, 11:22 »
Definitely Payback > Sucker Punch; you'll be doing consistently higher damage with Payback (in tandem with Curse) and it also has loads more PP than Sucker Punch (which has 5, iirc ^^; )

Wish is pretty essential on this set, so I'd just drop Sucker Punch for Payback. Stick with Lefties too; it's more reliable imo.

Offline Legacy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 03, 2011, 19:17 »
OK thanks for that Avalon. I'll stick with my Wish/Curse/Payback/Heal Bell set. I thought I'd ask about Sucker Punch, since in theory it might work. But I don't particularly want to drop Wish as you said.

Offline Enigma

• Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 03, 2011, 19:33 »
^no problem dude

I now have a little problem of my own;

I need a set for my Dragonite. It's for the Battle Subway Super Singles. And it will be used in tandem with Togekiss and Blissey. Here are their sets:

@ Life Orb
Modest
[Serene Grace]
252 HP / 252 Special Attack

-Thunder Wave
-Roost
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere

@ Lefties
Bold
252 Defence / HP I think

-Seismic Toss
-Softboiled
-Toxic
-Thunder Wave

@ ???
[Marvel Scale]
???
???

-???
-???
-???
-Outrage

Okay; the main idea of this set is Special Attacker / Wall / Physical attacker. As Richard_and_Blaziken has proven, this type of setup works well for the Subway. Togekiss flinchhaxxes and Blissey walls. Then Dragonite comes in for a sweep.

I know that Garchomp would be better suited, but I REALLY want to use Dragonite for the whole thing. I was thinking of a Choice Scarf set, but at 80 base speed, it's a bit...of a risk.

Or, I thought running a Dragon Dance set; the chances of the opponent killing me while paralysed is high, so I could bring in Dragonite, rely on that awesome ability, set up DD and sweep? However, that rather limits me to BW TMs, using that ability.

So yeah, thoughts on what set I should run? =S

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 03, 2011, 19:41 »
If you're thinking about running a DD set rather than a choice set then I'd consider taking advantage of Roost+Multiscale (not Marvel Scale!). Perhaps a more bulkier inclined set so you can take hits while you get 1 or 2 DDs?

Offline Enigma

• Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 03, 2011, 20:56 »
^as per the IRC discussion atm; I had no idea Roost + Marvel Scale were legal on the same set; and now I discover Fire Punch is too!

Awesome stuff.

I'm always careful with DDancing twice; it's all very well and good calculating the odds of survival against the Pokemon you're out against, but there's no telling what the next Pokemon is. You could get +6 Attack/Speed against your flailing opponent, bringing you down to the red. You roost off the damage back up to 51%, kill your opponent, then out comes Technician Bullet Punch Scizor or something.

I think I'd rather go a standard 252 Attack / Speed Adamant/Jolly Marvel Scale Dragonite.

But yeah; now that I know I can run Roost and Marvel Scale on the same set, I think I might go with that =3

Offline Kyriakou

• Rob Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 04, 2011, 11:11 »
@Avalon

If you're worried about priority then this could be an option over Blissey. I used it on my battle sub team with Cloyster and Garchomp and it soaked up almost all priority beautifully.

Jellicent @Leftovers
Modest [+Sp.Atk, -Atk]
Water Absorb
-Surf
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball/Protect
-Ice Beam
180 HP / 76 Def / 252 Sp.Atk

Jellicent resists or is immune to all priority except Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch and with the EVs given can still switch into them. Max Special Attack gives a surprising amount of power (in my experience 2HKOing most pokemon). This works better with Garchomp for the electric immunity but if you fear priority, this is a good option
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:14 by Kyriakou »