Author Topic: MegaZard Y OU Team  (Read 1262 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
MegaZard Y OU Team
« on: April 16, 2014, 20:27 »
After reading Richards latest PotW article I had a sudden desire to make an OU team including MegaZard, and this is what I've been using, I think it's a bit too offensive, but kinda want to know what other people think about it.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant nature
Technician
248 HP / 252 Attack / 8 Speed
-> U-Turn
-> Pursuit
-> Superpower
-> Bullet Punch

Scizor is my priority user of choice, but this is not his only function. Pursuit deals with the Lati@s - something MegaZard Y dislikes dealing with as they're faster and resist his moveset (which could have Dragon Pulse, but I prefer Air Slash for the flinch rate), as well as dealing with Alakazam and Gengar which can be pains in the derrière also =P 8 Speed is to outspeed Magnezone that invest to outspeed Scizor with no investment, and so he can strike them first with Superpower. Regardless, it is often better to switch out anyways.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm nature
Flash Fire
252 HP / 4 Special Attack / 252 Special Defence
-> Lava Plume
-> Stealth Rock
-> Roar
-> Protect

Heatran gives my team an immunity to fire, helping Scizor out, and Lava Plume offers a burn chance which is nice to soften blows across my team. Rocks allow for opposing MegaZard users to be punished, and gets rid of Talonflame a little easier. Heatran can use roar to hopefully drag out Talonflame and the like, who have to switch out as they can't really touch Heatran.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Naive nature
Protean
4 Attack / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
-> U-Turn
-> Ice Beam
-> HP Fire
-> Hydro Pump

This set is designed to take out fast things - specifically things faster than Charizard, and almost everything faster than Charizard is indeed beaten by this set. HP Fire is for when sun is up - somewhat patching up for Hydro Pumps drop in power in harsh sunlight.

Dragonite @ Choice Specs
Modest nature
Multiscale
252 HP / 252 Special Attack / 4 Speed
-> Draco Meteor
-> Fire Blast
-> Hurricane
-> Thunder

Okay, admittedly I put this in because I had a spare slot and love SpecsNite, and had planned on replacing it but, after testing, I found it to be a very valuable member of my team. It's very unpredictable, and thanks to the weakness policy set people fear using super effective moves on it. Many times I've had it against Azumarill, people try and use belly drum and are met by a thunder. They make a right play not switching - Dragonite can't usually hurt him - but SpecsNite OHKOs with Thunder. Before anyone asks why not Latios - Latios is always special, it's horribly predictable and doesn't even have a fire move outside HP. Dragonite also has the advantage of a much better secondary STAB for being locked into, and can deal nicely with rain teams which, although sparce, can still hurt.

Claydol @ Leftovers
Impish nature
Levitate
252 HP / 252 Defence / 4 Special Defence
-> Rapid Spin
-> Earthquake
-> Reflect
-> Light Screen

Claydol uses Rapid Spin to make using Charizard slightly less suicidal, and can use either screen to make his switch in an easier feat to achieve. Reflect makes Claydol near impossible to take down, but I find he is in dire need of some way of dealing passive damage whilst walling, and Earthquake hasn't been so useful so I'm wondering if it should be replaced with Toxic?

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Timid nature
Blaze / Drought
4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
-> Fire Blast
-> Solarbeam
-> Focus Blast
-> WoW

Pretty standard MegaZard - Fire Blast burns everything, and Solarbeam provides good coverage. Focus Blast 2HKO's 252/252+ Heatran, even before SR, and WoW will be used to soften physical blows, as Zards physical defence is somewhat lacking.

Okay, I've tested this team a fair bit and it's worked okay, but I've noticed it's a little defensively lacking (previously Empoleon was Sharpedo, but I added in Empoleon and it's still lacking I feel). Mamoswine has fallen just to slow a little too often, so I'm thinking of replacing him with maybe Ferrothorn but I'm not so sure because I love Mamoswine xD Any suggestions welcome, but I'm not replacing MegaZard Y because that's the whole reason I made this team in the first place xD
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 15:29 by RubyRobin »
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
Re: MegaZard Y OU Team
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 20:44 »
But...

I see something obvious.

Scizor heavily dislikes Sunny Day, as Empoleon, Greninja [especially without HP Fire (I managed to breed one with it! Yay!)] and Mamoswine do. Scizor... is obvious why, Greninja's Hydro Pump weakens and now being Ice-Type is riskier (U-Turn does not matter), Empoleon gets less power from Scald (minor) and now loses the neutrality against Fire (bad), and so Mamoswine does.

My guess is that Dragonite is too niche-y, and tat, outside sun, it will have problems, although Dragonite usually has enough time to attack without sun.

Charizard-Y tends to prefer power against accuracy; Fire Blast is just Overkill. Talking about Overkill, Air Slash is not; it covers two out of three types that Fire does and it is a lot weaker. You, as a player, do not usually need this flinch, due to the high power of the ither attacks. I could even suggest other less orthodox options, such that Roost or even Will-o-Wisp to soften incoming counters.

The rocks are too important to lose; another setter should be used. The blobs can work well under the sun (and they can lose pesky lard!), and they can either paralyse or poison Bakámon that try to counter you.

If you want, add a spinner, although Charizard, surprisingly, does well without them.

This is all I can think without thinking a lot.

Regards, Dick.

PS: Maybe your team is a BUT offensive.
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 21:04 »
But...

I see something obvious.

Scizor heavily dislikes Sunny Day, as Empoleon, Greninja [especially without HP Fire (I managed to breed one with it! Yay!)] and Mamoswine do. Scizor... is obvious why, Greninja's Hydro Pump weakens and now being Ice-Type is riskier (U-Turn does not matter), Empoleon gets less power from Scald (minor) and now loses the neutrality against Fire (bad), and so Mamoswine does.

Greninja has been somewhat bothered by Hydro Pumps nerf in sun, so I think I might give it HP fire and see if works a little better.

Scizor generally isn't bothered, because any fire attack is OHKOing it regardless of whether it's sunny or not, so really it only gains a water resist.

Empoleon I'll see about replacing - Blissey seems like it'd be okay, but I'd sorely miss Scalds burn chance, so I might test Heatran who has both rocks, lava plume and Flash Fire to soften Scizor's weakness

Mamoswine I know isn't usually found in sun, but I don't tend to use him after Charizard. That said, I do find him a liability on occasion so any suggestions on a replacement?

My guess is that Dragonite is too niche-y, and tat, outside sun, it will have problems, although Dragonite usually has enough time to attack without sun.

Dragonite has been an odd case - he's been doing better against better players, because said players know that special Dragonite is never used, and so it catches them off guard. Outside of sun, Thunder regains it's accuracy, and it's the only electric move on my team so I kind of like it ^^

Charizard-Y tends to prefer power against accuracy; Fire Blast is just Overkill. Talking about Overkill, Air Slash is not; it covers two out of three types that Fire does and it is a lot weaker. You, as a player, do not usually need this flinch, due to the high power of the ither attacks. I could even suggest other less orthodox options, such that Roost or even Will-o-Wisp to soften incoming counters.

I like the idea of WoW, I forgot Charizard even learnt that xD it certainly sounds like it'll be more useful than Air Slash. I'll try Fire Blast over Flamethrower, and I'll see if it performs better, although I think Dragonite tests my patience with misses enough xD

The rocks are too important to lose; another setter should be used. The blobs can work well under the sun (and they can lose pesky lard!), and they can either paralyse or poison Bakámon that try to counter you.

If you want, add a spinner, although Charizard, surprisingly, does well without them.

Addressed the stealth rock thing above - going to try Heatran over Empoleon. As for a spinner, if you think Charizard will be fine without it I'll test that and see how he goes.

PS: Maybe your team is a BUT offensive.

I'll fix that now xD

-------

Changes to be made:

Empoleon -> Heatran
Greninja Dark Pulse -> HP Fire
Swap Mamoswine for something else xD
Charizard Air Slash -> WoW and Flamethrower -> Fire Blast
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 21:22 »
Wow, thanks for taking my suggestion that good :D.

After having thought about it, you are right about Scizor, although it dies against HP Fires in Sun. In Sun.

Yes, I was going to suggest Heatran, but I heavily dislike legendaries in OU. That was, ironically, the best thing I could think of before the blobs (that can be changed by Infernape as well if you want even MOAR OFFENCE and Thunder Punch).

And for Mamoswine... you could open a poll. My suggestion is something physical. Physical ♪♫. For example... Garyarados if you manage to get rid of the Sun (no), Dugtrio, Garchomp or even Volcarona if you want to go Special, since it works in all weathers (Rain, then Hurricane).
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 21:32 »
Wow, thanks for taking my suggestion that good :D.

After having thought about it, you are right about Scizor, although it dies against HP Fires in Sun. In Sun.

Yes, I was going to suggest Heatran, but I heavily dislike legendaries in OU. That was, ironically, the best thing I could think of before the blobs (that can be changed by Infernape as well if you want even MOAR OFFENCE and Thunder Punch).

And for Mamoswine... you could open a poll. My suggestion is something physical. Physical ♪♫. For example... Garyarados if you manage to get rid of the Sun (no), Dugtrio, Garchomp or even Volcarona if you want to go Special, since it works in all weathers (Rain, then Hurricane).

Both Magnezone and Greninja OHKO Scizor with HP Fire without sun, and I can't think of anything that runs HP Fire that often outside of them, but that's probably me being tired xD

I think I have enough offence without Infernape =P Besides, I hate Infernapes design =/

And as for the Mamoswine replacements, Gyarados is cool, but as you said he doesn't like sun, Dugtrio is also a pretty nice choice, but I've not used him very often. I love Garchomp, and although it'd give me two 4x Ice weaknesses I would be covered by Heatran and Scizor. Volcarona would ordinarily be good, but not only would two 4x stealth Rock weaknesses be bad, but also 5/6 of my team would be special. So I think I'll go with something physical.

I'll test out Garchomp and add it if it performs better, but it won't add it in just yet
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Awkward Squirtle

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 22:09 »
I really think you need some way to deal with enemy rocks. Like, if you get Zard out then great, but if you don't you can be in real trouble. Not to mention that I'm pretty sure the rest of your team is weak or neutral to rock, and you have 3 choice users, so that means quite a bit of switching.

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 22:21 »
I really think you need some way to deal with enemy rocks. Like, if you get Zard out then great, but if you don't you can be in real trouble. Not to mention that I'm pretty sure the rest of your team is weak or neutral to rock, and you have 3 choice users, so that means quite a bit of switching.

Having looked at the Rapid Spinners available, they're mostly crap or water type, but one did shine out - Claydol. I'm thinking that could work as Mamoswines replacement, as it adds more defense to my team whilst giving rapid spin and an additional stealth rock. What do you think? (Aimed at anyone, tbh xD)
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 22:28 »
Woah, you just **** me. Claydol is one of my favourite defensive Pokémon (just affected by rocks, and by half), is very sturdy behind screens (which WILL BE deployed) and can get either fully supportative (Spin + Dual + SR) or get rid of any of those moves and land a hit or two! The reason why I am not breeding it is because SR can only be obtained through Gen 4 and 5 :(

Don't be fooled by its UU or RU status, guys (Dick knows it, ask his Pelipper), Tangrowth is another of those "crappy" Pokémon that can wall a lot of stuff, and so does Gollurk against Terrakion (and just Terrakion).

Try it, this 'mon does not disappoint if used properly!

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 22:39 »
I actually quite like a lot of N/R/UU things in OU - I generally ignore tiers when making a team, and Claydol is probably my favourite spinner too.

As for his moveset, I'm thinking something physically defensive. Maybe:

Claydol @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
252 HP / 252 Defence / 4 Special Defence
-> Rapid Spin
-> Earthquake
-> Light Screen / Stealth Rock
-> Reflect / Stealth Rock

Okay, so why physically defensive? Firstly, Heatran is already covering special, and secondly Claydols biggest weaknesses (Ice, Water, Grass and ghost to an extent) are predominantly special, whilst it's resistances are more physical.

Stealth Rock may not be needed, given Heatran already gives it, but I've slashed it on either screen regardless.

Rapid spin is a must, because it's the whole reason Claydol is worthy of consideration xD

Edit: Been using Dual Screens Claydol and have found it massively useful - giving Charizard the opportunities to switch in it's never had before. A combination of Reflect and WoW allows it to take even Rock moves with little consequence ^^
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 15:25 by RubyRobin »
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝