Author Topic: What's annoying you and bugging you at the moment then?  (Read 528229 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline The Shrub Dragon

• so this one time i put milk in the kettle
  • Joeno Fan
  • uh
    • View Profile
Re: What's annoying you and bugging you at the moment then?
« Reply #6840 on: August 01, 2014, 18:45 »
...and, annoyingly, I actually wouldn't like the thought of going to Oxford / Cambridge. I'm an idiot.

tbh i went to oxford uni on a trip with school and it was really nice and all (and the food was amazing) and i liked the idea of small intensive tuition sessions but i've spoken with people who are actually at oxbridge/know people who are and apparently it's much harsher than it seems and people are told to sacrifice sleep and stuff so that they can work so i think the whole idea of these two *amazing but also welcoming and caring* universities is fairly fake and idk it's made me lose faith a bit that it was presented so nicely but is allegedly so harsh

so yeah you're not really an idiot

thanks gl <3

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6841 on: August 01, 2014, 18:57 »
apparently it's much harsher than it seems and people are told to sacrifice sleep and stuff so that they can work

Unis in general tbf

I did visit Oxford and whilst I liked the look of it I just didn't get the feeling of it. Then again it turned out Uni in general wasn't for me ^^;

but yeah, academic success =/= intelligence necessarily so don't think of it that way =]

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #6842 on: August 01, 2014, 20:19 »
tw: another one of my crappy long rambling posts

I did actually point out that problem, stating my only chance would be to get him to sponsor, which given the size of his firm isn't completely out of the question and would come with some form of guarantee of employment,which is perfect. I wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't,

you missed the point, you shouldn't even be thinking or writing about the cost of flights home if you're thinking of gunning for harvard, unless you're hopelessly naive about the whole situation?

like if you're thinking harvard as a uk person not only will you need Money but also Top Grade A Levels and wodges of extracirricular activities (pokemon tournaments dont count) if you're gonna stand out from the million other overachievers trying to get in

but it's still annoying that they make it so difficult to get into Universities that you literally have to get a sponsor / scholarship.

if you're talking about the US, then yes, but in the uk most people just get good grades and apply through UCAS these days and swallow the bitter pill that is the £9000 fee increase and are realistic about it

as long as its your first degree then student finance p much fund it cos while there are a lot of stupid operations in this country at least we dont have to secure 20049302389 scholarships not to go broke thru uni, student finance may be a logistical mess but im not sure how i would have afforded uni otherwise

i mean until i was out of sixth form i had idealistic ideas about going to Uni of Toronto until the bitter reality of the logistics came true so a bit of fantasy thinking is alright but if you're serious you'd better start begging now if you want any hope of being ready come end of sixth form,

Loads of talk on this page of things like Harvard and Cambridge and I'm here like "oh I'm thinking of going chester"

...and, annoyingly, I actually wouldn't like the thought of going to Oxford / Cambridge. I'm an idiot.

no, pointless self-flallegation aside its ok to think this

i think oxbridge is decidedly "eh" myself as well, only oxbridge graduate i know was relatively successful career-wise but was a complete social miscreant and a massively infamous furry and there was inc. skeevy stuff going on which i didn't wanna touch with a bargepole

re: choosing a uni, i really really think one ought to strike a balance between "good redbrick" and "doing well for itself ex-poly", 

you'll find the "good uni"s often aren't actually that good in practice, and most of the flashy machines etc. is for the postgrads with Money/the brownnosers/Miracle-worker studiers cos they dont trust the scummy new students with the v. expensive machines, also while a lecturer may be a big-name in their field this v rarely equates to teaching talent, you'll find some of them are there purely b/c of their portfolio and have little people skills at all

if you go to a less-good uni they dont have all the flashy stuff nor the research oppurtunities, but they often are way more humble about it and have far better undergrad/postgrad teaching to make up for it, and in some cases much tighter business integration to make up for the lack of academia/research prestige, since it'll be mid/small company sponsors etc. which will be helping them out financially

of course it has to be a balance between the two, if you aim too good you'll be rejected for not being Star Sycophant With Connections, and if you aim too low you'll end up in a horror like london met

i mean take this with a pinch of salt because im a late-diagnosed spacko but i still dragged my way through my crapfest palava and graduated couple of wednesdays ago so //shrug//

well this was my annual carepost about unis, as always while the community is terrible i deffo reccommend all uni-hopefuls to do some investigating about their uni at thestudentroom, p sure they still do the free UCAS Personal Statement workshop thing which helps a lot
           

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6843 on: August 02, 2014, 11:35 »
Just seen the Paul George injury from last night

Never again. Poor guy.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6844 on: August 02, 2014, 13:33 »
^Saw it just and yowchhhh. Poor dude.

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #6845 on: August 02, 2014, 18:29 »
 Whoa... that was a nasty crumple.

Wanted to do nice party bags with decent things in them. I can't find nice looking bags and the stuff I would put in there would make it up to about £30 per bag.

Maybe when I've got a proper job... but not right now...

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #6846 on: August 02, 2014, 18:38 »

Never again. Poor guy.
i regret watching that video oh my god

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #6847 on: August 02, 2014, 18:53 »
why did i watch that video im in actual tears and hitting the dry boak oooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6848 on: August 02, 2014, 19:23 »

Saw that, I felt sick to my stomach. That was a nasty collision. Some of the other Team USA players were actually crying after that because they felt so bad for the guy.

My prayers are with Paul, hope he's playing again soon.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6849 on: August 02, 2014, 20:43 »
I miss Shoddy =[
was so much more fun and the people were so much more polite on it than on Showdown =[

Offline Wrath of Zuruggu

• Sentret Fan
  • Flailing with arrogance since 1990
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART account
« Reply #6850 on: August 02, 2014, 22:12 »
So M&S food opened up next door to where I work which is great and all because it brings people into the retail park but man, is it expensive in there. And most of what they sell is ready meals - I just want some fruit for my parrot but all they had was an overripe mango and apples for £3.50 ;^;! (I bought the mango.)

Offline Sebastian Moran

• ᕦ(ಠ益ಠ)ᕤ Tries too hard
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Fan
  • the pride of roast britain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: August 02, 2014, 22:13 »
wow. 
that video remains the only basketball i've ever watched, which is even better. 

wuhhhh there was a mix-up (???) and the incubator somehow got unplugged. 
so the six chicken eggs in there were fertile bUT the heat's been off probably since this morning. 
they're due to hatch in three days so they might not be too bad (it was thundering earlier but still kind of warm) but idk. 
they're vorwerk chicks as well, they're adorable, in little doberman colours. 
welp, guess we'll find out around tuesday if any of them are ok, i'm remaining optimistic. 
sod's law says that if any of them DO hatch they'll be male though, pssshhhhh. 

be humble,
for you are
made of earth.

be noble,
for you are
made of stars.

Offline Wrath of Zuruggu

• Sentret Fan
  • Flailing with arrogance since 1990
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART account
« Reply #6852 on: August 02, 2014, 22:17 »
they're vorwerk chicks as well, they're adorable, in little doberman colours.

Omg, please mail me one they are so adorable!

Offline Sebastian Moran

• ᕦ(ಠ益ಠ)ᕤ Tries too hard
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Fan
  • the pride of roast britain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: August 02, 2014, 23:44 »
maybe some bantams, i can confirm that bantam chicks will fit in pockets. 
the ones we have (old english game and golden) are about a month old now and they're still adorable as hell, i swear i'd keep a dozen of them running around inside constantly if they didn't just poo everywhere and generally make a mess. and if most of them weren't male. 

be humble,
for you are
made of earth.

be noble,
for you are
made of stars.

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: August 03, 2014, 01:50 »
rip the pacers season

ive never liked george so much but I do hope he gets better soon because that was nasty