Author Topic: The UK General Election  (Read 8144 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
Re: The UK General Election
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 21:01 »
I too have been following and the fact that Theresa May didn't even do the bare minimum to win (because this was the Conservative Party's to lose, because their goal was to gain seats) is quite hilarious.

The smear campaign against Corbyn from the BBC's chief political editors (Particularly Laura Keunnesberg) was absolutely ridiculous, considering the BBC is supposed to be (somewhat) impartial and for the most part it's 'hurrr durrr lefty libtard BBC!' from the public who only say that because Auntie doesn't report what they want to hear unlike the rags like The Sun and the Daily Heil. The stuff they were saying was most probably illegal.

So really, given the turmoil among the Labour Party, the smear campaign from the BBC and the tabloids and all that Theresa's lost badly and I'd give it less than six months before she's gone.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline Myth Maniacâ„¢

• #326, of the PUK Pokemon crew. Grumpig. ^_^
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Mark is awesome for this pic, classic.....
    • View Profile
    • Mah Blog...... Check it out.......
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 09:13 »
I'm surprised there isn't a new thread regarding the recently concluded 2019 general election.

How's everyone feeling about 5 more years of BoJo and Brexit being all but guaranteed?
Boo...

Offline Petzbreeder

• Also known as Brally
  • Joeno Fan
  • I play my games in French sometimes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2019, 09:25 »
I voted Liberal Democrats, so I'm really disappointed about that.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 23:30 »
Awful result for so many scattered reasons.

1) Brexit. People still don't realise this is a bipartisan issue but the right wingers have latched onto it and turned it into us vs them. It really is 'destroy the country to own the libs'. It's such an obviously terrible idea regardless of where you sit on the political spectrum that it's just flat out stupidity. We don't have much hope of it being stopped now, but it's completely inevitable that we'll eventually rejoin, it's just stupid that we're going to have to endure years of pain first for literally no reason.

2) The election result is awful and bringing out all sorts of awful takes. The 'centrists' blame Corbyn for being 'Too left wing' and the Corbynites blame Brexit because it's the only thing that changed since 2017. The most important and overlooked thing about the election result is how each age group voted. We saw it with Brexit and we're seeing it again.

In 1983, 42% of 18-24 year olds voted for Thatcher, and only 33% voted Labour. In 2019, 56% of 18-24 year olds voted Labour and only 21% voted Conservative. Between two 'landslide' victories by the Conservatives, they've lost half of their young voters. This is completely unprecedented and goes against the old "As you get older you become more Conservative" saying. Basically, despite the GE2019 result, society is only becoming more and more left-wing. The talk of trying to get Labour to be more 'centrist' is pointless because the vast majority of the future electorate don't see them as being 'too left wing' in the first place. It's just delaying the inevitible.

In the end I voted Labour because I'd be furious with myself if I didn't tactically vote and caused it to split. Normally I'd be voting Green, Greens already hold 1/3 constituencies that make up Brighton anyway so it's never pie-in-the-sky. I'm just glad we live in a bubble down here and don't have to deal with all the right-wing nastiness that's emerging everywhere else in the country.