Author Topic: Your favourite generation for Competitive Battling?  (Read 1228 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

quack98

Your favourite generation for Competitive Battling?
« on: August 21, 2013, 19:23 »
I think the title says it all really, but still, although the answer to some at first may be 'The latest, it has more stuff' but this isn't always the case, as now weather teams are dominant, ridiculously so. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but many people prefer variation.

So as a brief overview of competitive battling in each generation:

Generation 1: Psychic Dominance, Agiliwrap Dragonites being irritating, and Hyper Beam having better (borderline broken) mechanics. The generation home to the notorious RBY Mewtwo, which was nigh on uncounterable.

Generation 2: Stall. I don't think there's much else to say. Battles almost always last over 100 turns, usually over 300. Creation of the SkarmBliss core, which provided a wall for both Physical and Special attacks. A lot of mind games took place in this generation

Generation 3: Perfect counter to SkarmBliss was made in Blaziken. Stall became less dominant, and a more balanced form of play was made. The introduction of abilities meant that many new tactics were found. Jirachi was introduced, being the first to effectively make use of ParaFlinch tactics. Choice Items were introduced.

Generation 4: Introduction of U-Turn, much faster gameplay. I haven't played much Gen 4, so I'm not entirely sure what it was like.

Edit: Courtesy of Spriter SR|XL, you now have a competent description:

Also, leads were very common, with Pokemon like Metagross, Azelf, Aerodactyl, Machamp, Roserade and Swampert being the best leads. Fire/Water/Grass cores were common, and the matches were much faster than 3rd Gen matches.

Generation 5: All about power. Base 100 speed is no longer a rarity, Stall is much less prominent than ever, and weather teams are pretty much all that is seen.

My personal favourite is 2, I enjoy the longer matches and the mindgames, as well as the fact every Pokémon will always have a set stat, as no natures and no Max total EV cap meant they'd all have maxed out in every stat.

So, what are your favourites?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 23:16 by ディック »

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Your favourite generation for Competitive Battling?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 22:07 »
Umm wouldn't this make more sense in Team building?

Anyways, 4th Gen was more than that. Rotom formes had a Ghost typing, making them amazing spinblockers. The physical/special split gave life to many Pokemon and also damaged the usage of special attackers that ran elemental punch moves. Move Tutors in Platinum have Rotom formes a way around Blissey via Pain Split. Scizor got Bullet Punch in Platinum alongside Bug Bite and Superpower, which turned it into a top tier threat. That, and Salamence dominated the OU tier before it was deemed too powerful and was banned to Ubers. Salamence and Rayqyaza became a rather potent combo. Also, leads were very common, with Pokemon like Metagross, Azelf, Aerodactyl, Machamp, Roserade and Swampert being the best leads. Fire/Water/Grass cores were common, and If I recall correctly, the matches were much faster than 3rd Gen matches.

There's the 4th gen for you :P

quack98

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 22:12 »
I did think of putting it in team building, but it's not really for building teams, more for just general competitiveness, but I wasn't entirely sure.

Mind if I steal your gen IV description for the OP?

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 22:21 »
I did think of putting it in team building, but it's not really for building teams, more for just general competitiveness, but I wasn't entirely sure.

Mind if I steal your gen IV description for the OP?

Team Building isn't just what the name says, it's where all competitive stuff goes usually.

Yeah, though I'd cut out a load of it first. Cutting off everything before the leads part would suffice.

Offline Specstile

• The Hoenn and Grass type fanatic!
  • Poképprentice Runner-up
  • Sentret Fan
  • Come At Me Bro
    • View Profile
    • FaceBook, only addy if i know you D:
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 00:22 »
Gen 4 was my favorite but i guess i am biased because sceptile was much better than in gen 5 haha.
mega evolution better be dragon or i am having words with nintendo

Y FC:0344-9270-9498