Poll

Which out of the following do you think are the worst/laziest pokemon designs?

Magneton, Dugtrio, Klinklang
Baby pokemon
Stunfisk
Voltorb, Electrode
Muk, Garbodor
Honourable mentions
Not a pokemon mentioned above

Author Topic: Terrible Pokemon ideas  (Read 5576 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Hoof Hearted

• Rob Fan
  • Swampert is nnniccee
    • View Profile
Terrible Pokemon ideas
« on: June 24, 2013, 14:42 »
Now, I know right away that some person is going to be like, "there are no terrible pokemon, they're all awesome". Well, this is my opinion, so if you don't like it, too bad. Any ways, I see a lot of people saying there were a lot of lazy and bad pokemon designs in the fifth gen, but there were plenty in the older gens as well. I decided to make a list of the top 5 worst pokemon ideas. Again, this is my opinion and some of these pokemon I actually like, but I cant ignore the fact that they were either really lazy, or just have terrible designs.

#5. These three pokemon are just pure lazy. Magneton is just three magnemites stuck together, and dugtrio's the exact same thing. When I thought they couldn't get any lazier, they made klinklank. Not only does it look bad, but it was  so lazily made, they couldn't even bother to even slightly alter the sprite like magneton and dugtrio did. Don't give me any of that "its part of their design crap" either, its completely lazy and theres no excuse for it. I kinda like magneton though, which is the reason this isn't lower.

#4. Baby pokemon. Do I really need to say more? Sure, they have the "cute factor", but still, not only are they completely useless, but the time spent on these abominations could have been spent on cooler pokemon designs. Gen 4 was especially notorious for making these baby pokemon. Although gen 2 did it, their designs were actually half decent for the most part. These baby pokemon are pointless, and they didn't even make them for cool pokemon. Mr mime? Sudowoodo?? (Gen 4 did redeem themselves with some awesome evolutions though like Magmortar, Gliscor, and Magnezone).

#3. Stunfisk. What an absolutely, disgraceful, unbelievable, and horrible pokemon. This pathetic and useless fish was probably one of the worst designs in pokemon history ever! I have no clue what nintendo was thinking when they slammed together this abomination. How stupid is it too that its a fish and it lives in water, oh, but guess what? Its weak to water! It's also probably the derpiest looking pokemon, even more derpy looking then whiscash. This pitiful excuse for a pokemon will never be used, and it will never be loved. Poor old stunfisk will always be stepped on, and will soon be long forgotten as soon as gen 6 arrives. It will never be loved.

#2. Voltorb and Electrode, ...... how.... creative. Seriously, for the people who thought gen 5 had really bad designs, stop being a nostalgic ass and look at the generation that started it all. Voltorb is a pokeball with eyes. Really nintendo? A pokeball with eyes? not only that, but its evolution, Electrode. Electrode is just voltorb, but flipped upside down. Wow. Couldn't I just catch a voltorb, and then flip it. Would I get an electrode? Again, I actually semi-like voltorb and electrode, but still, the pure laziness involved with this creation cannot be excused simply because it was the first generation.

#1. Was there really any surprise about these two? This is another example of where everyone says Garbodor was a terrible idea, it's a pile of trash, which I agree, but there's another as well, Muk. Muk and Garbodor are just terrible ideas, and by far the worse. Muk is nothing more then a pile of swearing removed with eyes and Garbodor is literally a pile of garbage. Their stats match their appearances as well, being near useless. But this isn't about stats, this is about terrible designs. I'm not sure what nintendo was thinking when they thought up  these designs, and not only once did they do this, but twice. Garbodor AND Muk are by far the worst pokemon designs in my opinion. These pokemon belong in the trash can, FOR GOOD!

Well, there's my list. You are welcome to make your own lists or give your opinion on mine. Again, this is all my own opinion and if you don't like it, well, there's not much I can do about it. By the way, this is also my first post, so yeah. Oh, and just a few honourable mentions:

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 22:09 by Ledyba »

MonsterMon64

Re: Terrible Pokemon ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 19:53 »
You're not really treading new ground here with your examples/reasonings, but I at least agree with you on Lickilicky, which is one of the few Pokemon I actually dislike.

Personally, the only two I think are "terrible ideas" are Scizor and Hitmontop. Forget stats for a minute, you'd think something that's the perfect balance between Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee would look much cooler. Scyther was already pretty cool, so I guess the only way to make a praying mantis with scythes for arms even cooler is to give it... pinchers? I'm not saying it didn't NEED an evolution, it just would have been awesome if it kept its scythes.

Offline Moon Chaser

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 23:17 »
I actually find the pokemon that look like ice cream to be pretty original compaired to the amount of fire canines there are.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 23:35 »
I've always found it kind of annoying when people say "STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT GEN V, GEN I ALSO HAD UNORIGINAL POKEMON, LOOK THERE WAS A PILE OF TRASH BACK THEN TOO". First of all, a pile of trash isn't a bad idea, I don't think simplistic == bad. Second of all, if Muk is such a bad idea, then how does that excuse Garbador? Surely you're undermining your own argument because you're telling people to stop complaining about Pokemon which are copies of 'badly designed' Pokemon, doesn't that make them even worse?

My only problem with Gen V was that they totally copied the Gen I design formula, I know it was meant to be a reboot but it still felt cheap and like a repeated experience.

Anyway, as for terrible Pokemon ideas I'd have to admit that Exeggcute is just well...eggs with eyes. I'm not sure if it's a terrible idea but it wasn't until a few generations on that I realized how out of place it seems. I think the Vanilluxe line looks awful and I'll never like the idea behind it, I've had people tell me it was icicles but Ken Sugimori said in an interview that James Turner intended for it to be a double scoop ice cream, I think that's a sloppy idea and not even cleverly executed.

I do agree on Lickililly too but I've always managed to avoid it so it doesn't really bother me. Pineco is a favorite of mine and Illumise...I've never had a problem with but it's never been a favorite.

Baby Pokemon are fine, I think they at least provide some solid background for the Pokemon we know, they might be useless but they serve as a reminder that not every Pokemon is born strong, it'd be too boring if that were the case.

Stunfisk I really dislike, though it's not because of it's design...it's that smarmy face laughing at me while I EV train HP, constantly getting paralyzed and missing attacks due to Muddy Water.

Offline lugia95

• Joeno Fan
  • Credit to Chloe for the awesome avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 23:46 »
I really hate Trubbish. Although I don't like the Vanillite line, at least they look kind of cute. Trubbish just looks ugly and I can barely stand to look at it - it literally has no redeeming qualities in terms of design.

Offline Hoof Hearted

• Rob Fan
  • Swampert is nnniccee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 23:52 »
I've always found it kind of annoying when people say "STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT GEN V, GEN I ALSO HAD UNORIGINAL POKEMON, LOOK THERE WAS A PILE OF TRASH BACK THEN TOO". First of all, a pile of trash isn't a bad idea, I don't think simplistic == bad. Second of all, if Muk is such a bad idea, then how does that excuse Garbador? Surely you're undermining your own argument because you're telling people to stop complaining about Pokemon which are copies of 'badly designed' Pokemon, doesn't that make them even worse?

My only problem with Gen V was that they totally copied the Gen I design formula, I know it was meant to be a reboot but it still felt cheap and like a repeated experience.

Anyway, as for terrible Pokemon ideas I'd have to admit that Exeggcute is just well...eggs with eyes. I'm not sure if it's a terrible idea but it wasn't until a few generations on that I realized how out of place it seems. I think the Vanilluxe line looks awful and I'll never like the idea behind it, I've had people tell me it was icicles but Ken Sugimori said in an interview that James Turner intended for it to be a double scoop ice cream, I think that's a sloppy idea and not even cleverly executed.

I do agree on Lickililly too but I've always managed to avoid it so it doesn't really bother me. Pineco is a favorite of mine and Illumise...I've never had a problem with but it's never been a favorite.

Baby Pokemon are fine, I think they at least provide some solid background for the Pokemon we know, they might be useless but they serve as a reminder that not every Pokemon is born strong, it'd be too boring if that were the case.

Stunfisk I really dislike, though it's not because of it's design...it's that smarmy face laughing at me while I EV train HP, constantly getting paralyzed and missing attacks due to Muddy Water.
I never said I was excusing garbodor, he still is terrible and I probably hate him more then muk. And really? I don't see many people saying that generation one had lazy and bad pokemon designs. I agree with you with exeggucute, I actually completely forgot about him to be completely honest
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 23:56 by MushroomLizard »

Offline Ledyba

• Judge, Jury, and Executioner | <3 Kelly!!
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 22:23 »
MushroomLizard - in future, please, may not swear in your posts, even if it's stared out, we'd rather not have it on the site.  Thank you.

I agree with you with the Voltorb although not as aggressively as you put it. :P I do think they sort of get a free pass for being first gen.  I don't think it's a bad idea, but I think if it came a few generations later, well, I don't think it'd have been well received to say the least.

Tough think that the first gen established the rules of Pokemon and has established that Pokemon need not be necesserey be animals.

On the other hand, the whole thing with Pokemon that it really is quite subjective.  Some people like Icecreammon, I love it, others don't.   I love Probopass others don't, but some adore Glaceon and Leafeon and I think they're boring. It's actually part of the fun that people have different favorites.

So, actually I think that's one of the greatest strengths of Pokemon, just how diverse it is with the range of Pokemon and the range of feelings towards them.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 04:51 »
Why are we discussing bad Pokemon designs instead of bowing to Blaziken?

Agreement with Magneton and Dugtrio, but I think they work. Magneton is actually one of my favorites. Klink's line isn't unoriginal, it'a actually very original. Forget "It's just more gears each time", actually look at the sprite. They added a lot of complexity by the end of it and made the animation incredibly smooth. I think they deserve a lot of props for being able to do that.

I agree that some of the more recent baby Pokemon are pretty pointless. Happiny especially always looked strange to me, but I don't mind them overall. Kind of annoying that they're more or less just dex-fillers, but there's a Little Cup that at least makes some of them decent in those types of rules.

Stunfisk is supposed to be a derpy kind of Pokemon. Not everything has to be cool or awesome, there's room for some comedic relief types of Pokemon. Stunkfisk has unique typing and that's something pretty cool.

They're bombs disguised as item balls. You see, back in the good ol' days of Pokemon, item balls looked like Voltorb and Electrode, and once you got to the Power Plant, you never knew which items on the ground were items, and which ones were a Voltorb waiting to explode itself. I don't think they're very original in their physical designs, but they're bomb-balls and some of the fastest Pokemon in the game. I don't think they're quite as objectionable as people make them out to be.

Muk is a living pile of sludge with an arm. Your arguments are invalid. While I don't particularly like Garbador, I don't hate it either. It's pretty original, a garbage bag from a landfill coming to life as a poisonous monster, you gotta give 'em that.

Lickilicky is the worst abomination ever. It lost the long tongue that made Lickitung special and got really fat. Yawn.
Discord - richardblaziken

MonsterMon64

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 12:16 »
^Not to defend Lickilicky's design or anything, but I always assumed the reason it was so fat was because that's where it stored the rest of its tongue. Gross, eh?

Also, moreso than being incognito bombs, Voltorb and Electrode (and by extension, Foongus and Amoongus) are pretty much mimics, which are a staple of a lot of other RPGs, serving to lure in adventurers thinking they're getting sweet loot, only to be attacked violently. I've always liked mimics, so I can't hate any of them. Most people are gonna be "So what? It's still lazy" even having that pointed out, though, and I can't really blame them.

Trubbish made a good first impression on me. I remember cracking up when I first saw it; it was used by a Janitor in-game, and for me that was just perfect. I knew I had to have one... then it evolved into Garbodor. I don't hate Garbodor, but the mental image of my cutesy-wutesy Trubbish exploding into that cluster of junk isn't a pleasant one for me.

Happiny and Bonsly are two of my favorite baby Pokemon, but everyone knows Elekid is the most badass of the babies. I remember disliking Mime, Jr., but even that grew on me over time. As for the point of baby Pokemon? Plushies. Lots and lots of plushies. Don't forget that Pokemon is a very expansive franchise, it's not all about the games.

On a side note, I've never been keen on dismissing pokemon as "Pokedex filler". It's like assuming Game Freak literally throws a Pokemon into a region and says "Let's see if they can tell we really didn't care", which I think is a bit of an insult, considering how hard they work on each game to get the synergy and feel of a region just right.

Offline Hoof Hearted

• Rob Fan
  • Swampert is nnniccee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 13:21 »
Also, moreso than being incognito bombs, Voltorb and Electrode (and by extension, Foongus and Amoongus) are pretty much mimics, which are a staple of a lot of other RPGs, serving to lure in adventurers thinking they're getting sweet loot, only to be attacked violently. I've always liked mimics, so I can't hate any of them. Most people are gonna be "So what? It's still lazy" even having that pointed out, though, and I can't really blame them.
Yeah, I suppose so, but still, I kinda like the idea of that, but I still don't really like it, if that makes sense. Forgot to mention foongus and Amoongus. Annoying as heck running into them all the time, thinking it was a pokeball. I guess you could say voltorb, elctrode, foongus, and amoongus are the trolls of the pokemon world.

MushroomLizard - in future, please, may not swear in your posts, even if it's stared out, we'd rather not have it on the site.  Thank you.
Yeah, sorry about that. I won't swear again. UH, I would presume "heck" is fine, right?

Why are we discussing bad Pokemon designs instead of bowing to Blaziken?

Agreement with Magneton and Dugtrio, but I think they work. Magneton is actually one of my favorites. Klink's line isn't unoriginal, it'a actually very original. Forget "It's just more gears each time", actually look at the sprite. They added a lot of complexity by the end of it and made the animation incredibly smooth. I think they deserve a lot of props for being able to do that.

Muk is a living pile of sludge with an arm. Your arguments are invalid. While I don't particularly like Garbador, I don't hate it either. It's pretty original, a garbage bag from a landfill coming to life as a poisonous monster, you gotta give 'em that.
Ha, Blaziken's pretty cool I guess. Too be honest, I think the hoenn starters were the best and Blaziken's cool, but I like Sceptile and Swampert better. I think you should just give up on this whole Blaziken thing and just become a Swampert fan instead, he's much cooler.

I guess your right about Klinklank, but I guess it's mostly just personal taste for me. I really just don't like it, and I don't like the idea of a bunch of gears as a pokemon either.

Also, a funny thing that I just realised with Muk and Garbodor. Although it's not an official trio, pokemon kinda has a pollutant trio going on. Weezing, the air pollutant, Garbodor, the land pollutant, and Muk, the water pollutant.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 13:30 by MushroomLizard »

Offline Skyler and Blazer

• BattleFranky 37
  • Joeno Fan
  • Swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 20:16 »
Too be honest, I think the hoenn starters were the best and Blaziken's cool, but I like Sceptile and Swampert better. I think you should just give up on this whole Blaziken thing and just become a Swampert fan instead, he's much cooler.

I hope you've realized what you have done.

I do agree that some of the pokemon are somewhat lazy in their designs, but not based off their looks. I think that there are too many Fire/Fight types in this game. It was awesome when they brought it in with Torchic's line, and Chimchar's line ran it pretty nicely as well (although, I'm probably going to die for saying that). But Tepig's line could have been Fire/Ground or Fire/Dark. I don't like the typing, is what I am saying.

I love Typhlosion. He's my favorite (the Blazer, in Skyler and Blazer, is a Typhlosion from comics that I used t make, somewhat unsuccessfully) a few years ago on this site. I am upset at how he hasn't been given some of the best moves and updates as the games come out, but he will remain my favorite for as long as I play this game.

I haven't played pokemon in quite some time now, actually, having been busy with school and such. But this seems like an interesting discussion. While yeah, this is a rather subjective and opinionated topic, I do think it is orth talking about because I feel that many of the pokemon games that I have played fit into a definition of art. I know there is this whole debate that might not end as to whether or not video games are art, but if you've played these Pokemon games and their spin-offs, it'd be hard to argue that they aren't.

I happen to like Dugtrio a lot. It is (they are?) pretty fast and strong, and can run some intense moves like Slash and Earthquake. The design is pretty simple but ingenious at the same time, in my opinion. I can't think of too many pokemon whose designs I don't like.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 21:45 »
Yeah, I suppose so, but still, I kinda like the idea of that, but I still don't really like it, if that makes sense. Forgot to mention foongus and Amoongus. Annoying as heck running into them all the time, thinking it was a pokeball. I guess you could say voltorb, elctrode, foongus, and amoongus are the trolls of the pokemon world.
Yeah, sorry about that. I won't swear again. UH, I would presume "heck" is fine, right?
Ha, Blaziken's pretty cool I guess. Too be honest, I think the hoenn starters were the best and Blaziken's cool, but I like Sceptile and Swampert better. I think you should just give up on this whole Blaziken thing and just become a Swampert fan instead, he's much cooler.

I would, but then I'd be liking an inferior Pokemon. v: (but seriously, I like Swampert quite a lot, mostly because I've got a good friend from this site whose favorite Pokemon is Swampert)
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline JSM

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 22:24 »
There are no terrible pokemon ideas. Why be so negative? You're only limiting yourself. It has taken at least a degree of originality and creativity to create each.

Offline Joe_Pokemon2015- MEGA RAYQUAZA!

• Gen. Giratina: Leader of the Pokemon International Movement. Ternyata semuanya lupa negera Korea...
  • Joeno Fan
  • Giratina: Giygogagohgwooh! to QC for this avatar
    • View Profile
    • Check out my deviantART page! It has Pokemon!
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 10:26 »
Repeating designs already been used, such as horses, monkeys and pigs. Now that's unoriginality.

MonsterMon64

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 12:02 »
^So all it takes is to make another of the same or similar species and suddenly it's a bad idea? Doesn't matter what type it is, how it plays or anything like that? Add to the fact that I'm pretty sure we only have two horse Pokemon to date (unless zebras count) and I just can't take this argument seriously. At least Moon Chaser had a point with the Fire Canines, I nearly forgot about Houndour and Houndoom.

EDIT: Whoa, didn't realise how crotchety I sounded there. (Also I forgot about Keldeo, whoops) But yeah, to elaborate: I find it amusing that all it takes is like, three of the same type and/or species for people to cry "REHASH." I don't remember anybody complaining about Drilbur and Excadrill. Why? Because before them, we only had Diglett and Dugtrio. I expect plenty of people to have issue with a third Ground-type mole, just because three's a crowd, apparently.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:22 by MonsterMon64 »