Author Topic: first world problems  (Read 380901 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Re: first world problems
« Reply #1110 on: December 18, 2015, 22:57 »
I don't even know what that is!
electoral roll is basically: if you have ever registered to vote (which assuming ur over 18 you bloody well should've) you're on the roll

also if you're confused abt the jargon why not just... google it

Offline The biscquiat dragon

• Kris
  • Rex Fan
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #1111 on: December 19, 2015, 00:41 »
im gonna be that annoying person who tries to help but: are you on the electoral roll? also if you're being rejected time and time again every time you apply it dings your credit rating a bit so give it a rest between applications

idk if you're in the uk or the us but you could go for the High APR ones (30ish% APR !!!!! yikes) w/ almost universal Acceptance which'd be a bad idea if you can't pay on time in full every month but the safer option is a prepaid Credit Builder card, its a prepaid card that costs a certain amount each month and after the year is up it counts as a Plus on your credit rating cos u paid the Subscription Fee or w/e
Ooh, I'm in the same boat. I'm gonna have to consult you after I hear back about my last application.

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: December 19, 2015, 02:01 »
i made it almost three weeks without self harming but wow i guess not the only solace i have is that i've just taken a lorazepam which hopefully should help
three weeks is still good... i used to get excited about making it a week, three weeks is progress. i've been good for like 3 years now, but i had a cutting problem from 14-16... i don't even think about it anymore... just keep doing your best, try to distract yourself when you get the urges etc. it's really difficult to stop entirely because it's so habit forming but if you keep trying to find alternate solutions one day you won't understand why you ever did it

i recently started using bumble which is like tinder but instead of getting disgusting pick up lines from guys you send them disgusting pick up lines (jk usually im not creative and just say hi). but now i'm feeling how guys feel on tinder because the only reply i've gotten was from one of my friends when we found eachother and matched...

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: December 19, 2015, 03:05 »
Got nominated for this medical conference thing in Boston but we don't have the money to do it, and it would be unfair if we went for me because my brother didn't get to go for his.
that's interesting. i got some stuff about a STEM conference in boston the other day

i didn't do as well as i had hoped on exams but my semester grades are still intact, so its not too bad

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: December 19, 2015, 04:39 »
i made it almost three weeks without self harming but wow i guess not the only solace i have is that i've just taken a lorazepam which hopefully should help

That sux man I'm sorry
Don't beat yourself up tho, it's winter and that's a sure fire way to mess up anyone's win streak. I had been going about three years strong and relapsed really bad the other night over something minor that I know I wouldn't have cared about if it weren't for that seasonal affective disorder bs
You went three weeks and that's still a big achievement when it comes to something like this so you still did really well anyway 👌👌👌

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: December 19, 2015, 18:30 »
I don't even know what that is!

the electoral roll is like shaymin said a List of people eligbile to vote. you shoulda got a letter thru your door about Register To Vote or whatever? and they're all "arrghhh you gotta register to vote its important"

i mean voting is also important yes cos political apathy is the nation killer but its also needed for a credit rating and if you ever want to own a house one day. (mortgages are like credit cards: hard mode)

its important to be on there if you want to build a credit rating cos they'll look to that to see if you Verifiably Exist as a person if you're not on the electoral roll the credit agencies will most likely go 'huh maybe they're trying to con us with a fake name' and possibly reject you.

It dings? what, like a bell or something? Sorry if I sound ignorant, I don't know what that means.

nah i mean "dings" as in "negatively hits". kind of like "denting". i talk in dumb flowery language cos im literally r****ded and can't use Normal Words well

idk how credit ratings go for DSS (i dunno if thats the right acronym) but basically your credit rating is your Good (or Bad) Standing with the lending agencies, like how well (or not) you repay your debts and whether its on time, etc. basically its your "if you borrow this money, how likely are you gonna be to pay it back and are we gonna be able to make a deece profit off you through the Interest?" which is the only thing the credit card companies care about.

(which is why having a credit card but never spending on it also negatively impacts your credit rating cos they're like "well we're not gonna make cash off you so why do we care?")

its complicated and i dont know the Details of it exactly but theres stuff that Improves your rating and Unimproves it, and applying for credit cards and being Rejected for them (it can happen even if you'd be Accepted normally) unimproves it. every time you apply for your credit card the company will consult the credit record (your 'how likely/how much profit?' thing) and them actually checking it leaves a record hich means if you're rejected for it that'll be seen on your rating and is a Warning to other places to perhaps err on the side of also rejecting them.

you will usually be accepted more easier for high APR cards (see below for APR explanation) or High Interest cards easily because most people are like "cool! a credit card!" and dont notice they'll have to pay horrific interest. i.e. they downplay "how likely are they able to pay it back" for turning up the "how much profit can we make" end of things.

conversely low interest credit cards are harder to get and you usually need a better "i took loans out and paid them back" record on your credit record. sites can do you a "soft check" where they test your eligibility for cards in a way that doesn't impact your credit rating, but thats for when you do stuff like credit card "tarting" as they call it (hopping between 0% APR introductory offers to keep your credit card debt from ever having interest, useful for if you want to keep your credit card bill from growing further) and you need to know who will and who wont.

its why if you apply for one and you're rejected you should give it a bit before applying for another, its like dealing with a dodgy ex and being too quick on the updraw makes you look desperate and lame to them.

given you're on DSS that might put you in that awkward category with Students lendingwise, i.e. not really a Strong Money Earning lot and not really doing stuff like working and making cash money, which means they may not be keen to give you credit cards

I'm in the UK. I don't know what APR is, I feel like I'm totally clueless about everything.

not at all, the banks make their money out of keeping people clueless about the process, wouldn't you know it.

APR is Annual Percentage Rate or really a kind of Financial-ese way of sayin "monthly interest".

basically with an APR of a card you got the amount you've spent on the card, and you take the percentage the APR is, divide that by twelve (to take it from Annual to Monthly) and each month that interest will be lumped onto your bill and you'll have to pay it. im gonna use colours here to keep track cos of brokebrain reasons

i.e. if you're £500 in debt on your card and your APR is 19% then

19% of £500 = £95

and then they will tack on £95 per year / 12 = £7.92. per month interest

you have to pay a "minimum amount" at least every month, which is based on the total amount you owe + the monthly interest.

so if you dont spend anything by the time your bill rolls around you will owe £500 + £7.92 = £507.92. and will need to pay whatever the minimum payment for an amount of £507.92 is. (you can usually find this by lookin at the small print of your credit card agreement)

im no expert in economics (altho id like to learn the basics one day) but basically Interest and APR is how the lending agencies make money, bankers would never do this out the goodness of their own hearts lmao

theres a lot more to read on my personal fave resource for Boring Money Information stuff, moneysavingexpert if you're a big dumb hell idiot nerd like i am and do ur budget in monthly spreadsheets and like to be Informed on boring adult life details and thriftiness. its a site for people who got themselves into stupid amounts of debt and often the forums are a bunch of people trying to save where they can so they can claw themselves out of debt hell but yeh . another good place to ask re: legalese to money stuff is ur local Citizens Advice Bureau

basically if you're trying to get stuff that can only be gotten with credit cards like certain places on the internet do then your best bet is the Prepaid Credit Card option for now.

well thats my Effortpost about boring financial details, thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 19:47 by LOOK AROUND YOG. »
           

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #1116 on: December 19, 2015, 21:34 »
i got a C in a class

the fwp part of this is that I got an A in the other class so it balances out

grades dont matter in grad school anyway
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 19, 2015, 21:50 »
i had a lot of mexican food and now i feel pretty crappy

edit: almost got into the shower with socks on. cool
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 22:15 by bread »

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #1118 on: December 19, 2015, 23:37 »
if my entirety could stop hurting that would be fasnatastic-o

also i got this thread and the everyday accomplishments thread mixed up and i just die

edit: UGH the ppl across the road haven't turned off their christmas lights looks like it's another night of raving for me
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 00:12 by Shaymin »

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 20, 2015, 02:52 »
 All the sockets are healing but there's still soreness and because I slept until 5 I'm not going to get any sleep, oh boy.

Offline The biscquiat dragon

• Kris
  • Rex Fan
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #1120 on: December 20, 2015, 08:03 »
Same cold, 5 times, 1 month. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #1121 on: December 20, 2015, 08:58 »
Phone contracts are a good way of building a credit rating as well. Even if you just get one that is like £10 a month or something. I didn't have a credit rating until I got my HTC on contract with EE a few years back, did have some blips initially but I paid it on time for the most part lol. Upgraded and now paying slightly more for an iPhone. Obv don't take out a contract if you don't actually need one because you do put in more than you get out. I've still not got a credit card yet though, couldn't trust myself with one tbh. I've made a vow to never end up like people in my close family who are just swimming in debt to various angry companies. (I'm not saying to avoid credit cards because of this, this is just me personally!)

I'm at the tense stage where I've woken up after drinking and not knowing how I'm going to be when I get up out of bed. I think I'm okay though, it's not like the hangovers I've had where it takes like half an hour to crawl from my room to the bathroom, so that's a plus!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 09:01 by Inferna »

Offline The_Pokémon_Master

• Pokemon Fan
  • n
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: December 20, 2015, 19:40 »
Ate too many nacho cheese Doritos before bed. Couldn't sleep, walked out into the living room, and layed on the couch. Later on I started to feel sick to my stomach and I didn't know how to get rid of it. Worst night in my life.

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #1123 on: December 21, 2015, 06:27 »
I'm so hungry omg
I should have had more to eat yesterday, shopping while slightly hungover was a terrible decision to make. had to hide all the food I had as snacks before bed in case I woke up during the night and had some lmao
I hope I'm not waiting around for hours and hours, hoping to get seen before 12 because otherwise I could have just been an afternoon patient. Can't have anything else to drink now either #rip
wish me luck

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: December 21, 2015, 14:09 »
that's interesting. i got some stuff about a STEM conference in boston the other day

The problem every time is money. All of these conferences say they offer financial aid but it's usually like applying a band-aid to an amputee, almost pointless. My brother and I have been nominated for these things numerous times. At least the nominations themselves actually boost your college resume.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN