Author Topic: Famous Leaker Announces 'Fairy' Type for Sylveon and Xerneas  (Read 12850 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ledyba

• Judge, Jury, and Executioner | <3 Kelly!!
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
Re: Famous Leaker Announces 'Fairy' Type for Sylveon and Xerneas
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 22:21 »
Light and Fairy aren't interchangeable,they're going have to keep the translation pretty close to the original Japanese - otherwise you may get descriptions that don't fit Pokemon (say if they renamed Fairy as Light, and Clefairy was a Light type or something, doesn't fit as comfortably as Fairy does it.)

I'm personally very interested in future developments.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 22:34 »
Light and Fairy aren't interchangeable,they're going have to keep the translation pretty close to the original Japanese - otherwise you may get descriptions that don't fit Pokemon (say if they renamed Fairy as Light, and Clefairy was a Light type or something, doesn't fit as comfortably as Fairy does it.)

I'm personally very interested in future developments.

Well Sylveon = Sylvan much like Ninfia = Nymph. Most of the Eeveelution names are similar but not the same as their type (Flare, leaf, vapour, jolt, umbra, ESP, glacia). So 'Sylvan' type is probably unlikely.

I think it'll be either Fairy or Magic

Offline Ledyba

• Judge, Jury, and Executioner | <3 Kelly!!
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 22:42 »
Yah.  Excellent points.   John I must say you've been  excellent on the research stuff.  Good work mate.

Personally, I'm excited to see what older Pokemon this would effect, and depending on it's properties plus any new abilities and or moves may make some Pokemon at the back very interesting to use again.

Offline RocketMember002

• Joy Incarnate
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 23:16 »
The potential for Fairy is awesome. I'd love to see some Finnish fairytale creatures inspiring Pokemon. A fairytale frog or caterpillar would be really awesome. I wonder if they'll use another Mushroom Pokemon, there is a naturally occurring phenomena called 'Fairy rings' whereby rings of mushrooms grow for unknown reasons and it is said fairies dance inside them.

Shroomish comes to mind, it looks it and is in the fairy egg group. But then there's the issue of Breloom, can't see triple types, and losing either of it's other types won't go down too well.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 00:13 »
Yah.  Excellent points.   John I must say you've been  excellent on the research stuff.  Good work mate.

Personally, I'm excited to see what older Pokemon this would effect, and depending on it's properties plus any new abilities and or moves may make some Pokemon at the back very interesting to use again.

Competitively a few people are saying that Fairy Clefable would be a good much needed rival to Blissey.

And thanks for the comments, I'm pretty happy this is taking shape not just because 'HA HA I'M RIGHT' but because I was one of the sole people getting the theory off the ground in the beginning through research and looking at the tiny details and it feels good to see that I wasn't just reading into things too much.

Shroomish comes to mind, it looks it and is in the fairy egg group. But then there's the issue of Breloom, can't see triple types, and losing either of it's other types won't go down too well.

I think there are definitely a few potentials. Check this image.

I didn't make this image, but the three posts below are ones I wrote elsewhere about this elsewhere.

I think the person here has just gone for the cutesy Pokemon (Kind of contradicts what I wrote actually) but really I'd say there are better alternatives. Fairy could (And might well) look more like a cross between Bug & Grass than your typical 'cutesy' Pokemon. I think the flexibility with a Fairy type is pretty good, a lot of the Finnish and Scandenavian fairytales have some weird things in there. I'll be excited to see a Fairy/Ghost type someway down the line and also I expect the introduction of some early/mid-game Dragon types too, I'm guessing if they go all out on this line they will probably want to do fairies vs dragons, it could be very interesting competitively speaking. You have cutesy and evil dragons, just like you have some evil and cutesy fairies.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 00:28 by Turner »

Offline ajeeth23

• Rob Fan
  • Can you stay up for the weekend?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 05:51 »
Remind me why we need another type?

And why this Hiro person has to ALWAYS be correct, even if he has predicted things before?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:58 by ajeeth23 »
RAjeeth.

(That's how I sign. *shrugs*)

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 06:09 »
I won't mind Fairy type if it resists Dragon. Competitively, we need another type to resist Dragon. Also, changing one of the types of old Pokemon to Fairy annoys me, such as Jirachi, Celebi and Gallade. Other than that, I'm not bothered one way or another.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 06:23 »
Remind me why we need another type?
idk don't knock it till it happens

And why this Hiro person has to ALWAYS be corrct, even if he has predicted things before?
We're not saying he's correct, we're saying that there's a chance this may happen and/or creating grounds for discussion.  Don't try to be critical when there's nothing to be critical about.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Draghost999

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 06:29 »
Fairy TYPE and Fairy EGG GROUP too?

Aha, Pokemon X and Y is trying to be as new and different a Pokemon game as possible.

Offline Joe_Pokemon2015- MEGA RAYQUAZA!

• Gen. Giratina: Leader of the Pokemon International Movement. Ternyata semuanya lupa negera Korea...
  • Joeno Fan
  • Giratina: Giygogagohgwooh! to QC for this avatar
    • View Profile
    • Check out my deviantART page! It has Pokemon!
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 11:08 »
Well, I never.

This means that Clefairy and any other Pokemon of the Fairy egg group will have to be recasted as a Fairy-type.

Offline f3raligatr

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 11:43 »
I'm remaining dubious about this. I'm well aware of Wottergate, I daresay it opened my eyes a bit, and I'm also aware of said person's credibility, that is if we're thinking of the same person here. I'm aware of the leak he received, but I know he's been hit and miss when it comes to such leaks before. In all truth, it wouldn't surprise me if he's a willing pawn in a larger scheme of things.

When it comes to leaks and the like prior to a game's release, you've got three situations. There's an official release of information, usually to or by the media (magazines, YouTube channels), an accidental release of information (such as screenshots of posters that aren't meant to be seen by the general public) or a staged 'accidental' release such as when things are intentionally leaked by, in this case, Nintendo or GameFreak to suit an undisclosed agenda.

It's not unusual for any entertainment company to release certain bits of information to the public to strike up interest in something, whether those truths turn out to be factually true or not. Sometimes you'll find it's down to a camera-happy passerby who stumbles across gold, much like the Mewtwo forme pictures, other times it's employees who strategically release bits to the public with the idea of keeping interest high. This wouldn't be too farfetched a concept considering that the recent CoroCoro issue revealed something that had, in my eyes, been an accidental leak, so it could be feasible to assume that GameFreak feel that the new forme being leaked prior to their big announcement isn't enough to whet appetites sufficiently until their next release.

When I say 'whet appetites', I mean enough to keep the messageboards buzzing with the news. At the moment, the Mewtwo forme seems to have not done enough, people have got their own opinions and with the information released so far, there's not a lot of discussion going on between these opinions to keep interest high, before they've returned to discussing this Eeveelution, it's type, whether new types are going to be released.. so on so on. Maybe GameFreak are very split on how a new typing would be received by the masses and thus have strategically released a tidbit of information that will get people talking away, without GameFreak having to confirm to whether the type will be in the new games; if it's not well received, GameFreak deny all, if it's well received, GameFreak announce it at the next big release.

As to a new type, Light will never be a type. I'm almost certain that in the Japanese games, the Fighting type is seen as the 'light' type to oppose the Dark type, but even then it just doesn't hold the same water as the Dark typing does. Between Normal, Electric, Fighting and Psychic there isn't enough of a new variance for there to be a need for a Light type, nor is there a requirement of it to balance a Metagame; Steel and Dark were solely to dilute Psychic's ridiculous power, the only typing that needs scaling down a touch is Dragon, but that's supposed to be powerful by nature anyway. A Fairy typing I'm not convinced with either, it seems too similar to Bug and Flying for it to really.. justify a need for it in terms of the elements. It'd open the door for some new concepts and designs, but there's no reason why those designs can't be constituted by the available typings.

I suppose the argument for a Fairy type would be that it'd come under the same.. 'allowance' as Dragons in that they're of a mythical nature.. but you have to question the timing of it. The introduction of two new types in Generation II only affected the Magnemite line as far as I remember, whilst the change in typing to include the Fairy type would affect quite a lot of Pokémon and could cause disruption. It'd also question what the connectivity between Generation V and VI will be like.. perhaps they'll close the gap off and treat Generation VI (I presume onwards) as a new start.

Maybe I'm just not radical enough for change but, oh, would that disappoint me no end. A new typing would to an extent too, although if it were to affect Generation VI Pokémon only (so Togepi etc would remain their current typing) I wouldn't mind as much..

I still think Sylveon will be a Bug/Flying Pokémon or even a wonderful Bug/Normal. Hmph.

09-07-2013 & 12-08-2013
beyond the suffering you've known
i hope you find your way
may you never be broken again

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 14:56 »
Fairy TYPE and Fairy EGG GROUP too?

Aha, Pokemon X and Y is trying to be as new and different a Pokemon game as possible.

There's Grass and Water egg-groups too. The Fairy egg group translates as 'Yousei' in Japan, which is closer to pixie/sprite/etc. whereas 'Fairy' in this context is more like 'Fairytale'. In the early days of X/Y speculation I noticed someone on 2ch also considered a 'fairytale' type probably through the same clues I did.

X/Y was in early development before B/W were released so the person who leaked the wottergate information could be the same one leaking the rest of what he knows about X/Y. Hiro said this time that it was a big reveal and that he'd waited a long time to announce it because GameFreak had been keeping the typing unusually secret.

He's never been hit or miss with his leaks before though, that's why people are choosing to believe this; Hiro never has gotten a single leak wrong.

The idea that 'Light' is fighting type in Japanese is wrong, it comes from a commonly misread and mis-google-translated part of the Japanese word used for Fighting type. Fighting translates as 'scuffle' or 'fisticuffs' essentially, there's no honor in there. But I do agree that light type is too vague to happen.

My opinion has been that a new type is inevitible, as well as all the evidence we've seen from corocoro and the constant hyping of Sylveon's mystery type. By Gen VII or VIII, we will definitely be getting bored of the current types and if a new type is introduced too late, boredom may kill the momentum of the games. The fact that they are introducing a new type now doesn't surprise me, it will probably start small and grow larger rather than taking up the limelight right away, I don't think GameFreak will pull something like that.

I don't think retconning is such a big problem either, Pokemon like Clefairy have always shown to be mysterious with little explanation, I wouldn't mind too much if it was discovered to be of a new type.

PS: Did anyone watch the new Mewtwo movie trailer? There's a clip of Sylveon using some bizzare cosmic move and transporting Pikachu and friends to an enchanted world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTyPZGdEyyc

Offline ajeeth23

• Rob Fan
  • Can you stay up for the weekend?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 07:01 »
idk don't knock it till it happens
We're not saying he's correct, we're saying that there's a chance this may happen and/or creating grounds for discussion.  Don't try to be critical when there's nothing to be critical about.

Okay, fine. But the types we had till now are fine. GF don't need to introduce a new type just for the sake of making these games radically different.
RAjeeth.

(That's how I sign. *shrugs*)

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 08:02 »
Okay, fine. But the types we had till now are fine. GF don't need to introduce a new type just for the sake of making these games radically different.

Dragon needs a bit of a nerf, only being resisted by Steel, while all Dragons worth a damn have a powerful Fire attack. If Fairy resisted both, Dragons with good stats wouldn't immediately become top-tier just because nothing can wall them (Garchomp, Dragonite, Salamence, Haxorus, Lati@s).
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline RocketMember002

• Joy Incarnate
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 12:41 »
How is light too vague when dark isn't? There's already a fairly big overlap between that and ghost types.