Author Topic: Football/Soccer 2012/2013 Season Thread  (Read 31707 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
Re: Football/Soccer 2012/2013 Season Thread
« Reply #240 on: December 03, 2012, 16:13 »
Not if you're a Chelsea supporter :P
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

OVOxo

« Reply #241 on: December 03, 2012, 23:45 »
It's okay, they'll probably get Mourinho back unless Roman remains too stubborn.

We were lucky to win 3-0 tonight.

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 04, 2012, 11:22 »
Part of me wants them to get Pep Guardiola. But he wants to go to United.
[Three Word Rule]

OVOxo

« Reply #243 on: December 04, 2012, 23:34 »
Guardiola's overated. He'd struggle at City or Chelsea (to an extent) because their youth is poor and Guardiola's best attribute so far has been nurturing / developing youth players to grow into first team ones. Generally when spending money on signings he's been poor (Ibra didn't fit the Barcelona model, that CB with the long name cost a shed load, Sanchez hasn't really set the world alight either. Fabregas and Alba were signings that were bound to happen, regardless of Guardiola).

Man Utd would be interesting but I think he'd struggle there. Chelsea I guess does have potential with Lukaku, Marin, Sturridge, etc.; he might as well just go to PSG.

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 05, 2012, 12:51 »
Agreed that Pep isn't as good as Mourinho, but I still think he'd be good in the Prem. Probably better at somewhere like Arsenal, where the style at Arsenal is quite similar to Barca's.

Mourinho > Fergie.

BREAKING NEWS: Coventry City told to cough up 1.1 million or face a winding up order.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 18:14 by Milsap »
[Three Word Rule]

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 09, 2012, 20:28 »
Messi's just hit 86 in a calender year.

Bloody hell.

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 05, 2013, 23:01 »
Europol is investigating match fixing in hundreds of football matches across Europe. Howard Webb is alleged to have gone into hiding...
[Three Word Rule]

MRxo

« Reply #247 on: March 02, 2013, 11:44 »
Got a couple of accumulators going today =o

Got Chelsea, Everton and Man Utd on one
Got us, Bolton, Blackburn, Hull, Celtic, AC Milan, Dortmund and Leverkusen on another

=O

EDIT: This is genius!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 15:01 by Gurren_Lagann »

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 03, 2013, 21:58 »
I bet it's iPhone only as well...
[Three Word Rule]

MRxo

« Reply #249 on: March 03, 2013, 23:47 »
A few apps on my iPod are Apple only which is quite annoying as I need more space for songs and I can't just put them on my tablet :/

Sky Bet haven't refunded me over Bale scoring yet; they take so long >>

Villa v City tomorrow will be interesting...

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 05, 2013, 23:59 »
Disgraceful goings on tonight. Nani could have killed Arbeloa.

Kick Nani Out Of Football.
[Three Word Rule]

MRxo

« Reply #251 on: March 06, 2013, 00:06 »
Red card was the right call but why are people overlooking the fact that before the red Man Utd should have had the tie dead and buried? First leg they wasted chances, Welbeck could easily have had a hat-trick, Rooney also had a chance.

Real Madrid were disappointing but I still expect them to win the competition. Better teams would have punished them on those games though.

Oh yeah, whilst I remember; Rio's behaviour was disgusting and it deserves huge punishment. Shouldn't be sour because he got murked.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 00:18 by Gurren_Lagann »

Offline Typhlosion

• Senior Staff Member
  • Rob Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 06, 2013, 12:50 »
People are overlooking that fact because we'd done enough. We were leading the tie on aggregate, that's all we needed. Hard to say whether Madrid would have gotten back into it anyway but the decision certainly seemed to spur them on - couldn't have predicted that comeback coming until the red card, Madrid looked lifeless before then. Tactically we beat them all ends up.

The behaviour of the whole team was bad in the way they surrounded the referee, and I wouldn't be surprised to see action taken, but when the referee gets such a massive decision as that ridiculously wrong it's easy to see how tempers can be lost.

I'd be interested to know why you think it's a red card Alex. No argument I've heard yet has convinced me otherwise, nor concurred with the rulebook.

MRxo

« Reply #253 on: March 06, 2013, 13:21 »
Quote from: BBC Sport
Fifa law 12, fouls and misconduct, states:

"A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play." It clarifies: "Excessive force means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent."

Since this is the rule which is being debated regarding this situation I'll relate it to that. From a technique stand point alone, how Nani attempted to control the ball was completely wrong because he's gone at it studs first. That alone makes it a dangerous attempt in trying to control the ball. Granted, if Arbeloa was no where near him then he would have gotten away with it but in that position, because contact was made it's a red. It's very high which means that he doesn't have to go for it, plus surely you'd let it run a bit if you believe you've got space.

Just because Nani intended to control it doesn't mean he's safe from trouble. Due to the danger of him attempting what he did intention becomes irrelevant because the damage had taken place. The rules do not mention intention or malice.

As much as I dislike Roy Keane he's completely right. The rules also don't have anything to say why it isn't a red card. Consider as well what the referee is seeing from real time. From his angle it does look like a kick to the chest =P

Madrid got away with it, even with the red you should have won. If he hadn't got sent off you also probably would have won (Modric was the catalyst for Madrid purely due to the space he was given).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 13:26 by Gurren_Lagann »

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 06, 2013, 13:46 »
Red card was the right call but why are people overlooking the fact that before the red Man Utd should have had the tie dead and buried? First leg they wasted chances, Welbeck could easily have had a hat-trick, Rooney also had a chance.

Fergie made comments about the ref after the Tottenham game I think it was. He always says something controversial when United have squandered chances or put on a half arsed display.

The behaviour of the whole team was bad in the way they surrounded the referee

Didn't Ramos get a three match ban for doing something similar?

he referee gets such a massive decision as that ridiculously wrong it's easy to see how tempers can be lost.

Yes, Nani is looking at the ball, but he should have had some awareness of where Arbeloa was at the time. Even in the slo-mo replay he's going in with some force and if he caught the guy in the wrong place something could have gone wrong. Nani had no reason to jump that high for something that could have been controlled with the head or chest. In these instances, the referee has to make a split second decision. He's seeing this from a different angle and doesn't have the benefit of action replays like we see on the telly.

The rule book says nothing about intent, but it DOES say about dangerous play, which is why Nani was sent off (as Alex posted when I was writing this). Nani clearly didn't have the intent of kicking Arbeloa in the chest. Same way that Sergio Ramos didn't have the intent of scoring an own goal. If Arbeloa had not jumped to chest the ball Nani could easily havee hit him in the chin or neck, causing serious injury (his foot isn't at its highest point in the screen shot. He gets higher than that)

As for the "ref ruined a good game" argument that's flying around. Up until that point the match was bloody boring.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 13:50 by Milsap »
[Three Word Rule]