Author Topic: Rules  (Read 11009 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
Re: Rules
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 17:32 »
also if this is the "whatever shall we do with this name master" Star Chambers like honestly??????? he's an eager lad with his heart in the right place but his forum posting slightly hyperactive and scaring him off would be a bit of a shame i guess. i can't say i haven't posted in his topics lately is all and he is basically like a younger me

I wouldn't say that.  I've offered him some advice, and it was basically what Rex said when he closed that thread about Nidorina, although I have a hard time being nice about it when I'm at a point where I couldn't care less.  But to compare you and him, I highly doubt you tried to be all ~*badass*~ and say that you had an insult in store for me that was so bad that he'd get reported and banned instantly.  Furthermore, you were also pretty good about responding to people in threads and you rarely started threads yourself unless you were gonna properly follow up on people who responded.  And truth be told, the issue I have with him isn't too different from the main issue I've felt this forum has always had but it's exacerbated as of late.  People (and it's not just him) on this forum don't seem to be interested in some sort of discussion in general and are more interested in these status update threads which is literally all that's keeping this place afloat.

When any attempt at discussion is started (see the stupid questions thread) it's either not followed up on or someone just declares it off-topic (when it's clearly not) and ignores it.  See the Paris Attacks thread, where the only person willing to even follow up on things was Turner and somehow our debate was...  a vicious argument that needed to stop?  No personal insults were made at any point, aside from stuff that was directed towards me (which was irritating either way when someone has and states a preconception of the crap you're about to say).  See any of the older threads over the past year or two, where someone like Richard and Blaziken said "i'm glad you have an opinion" to an argument that could be proven or disproven on a factual basis (re:  issues in smash 4).  And somehow Captain Jigglypuff can get away with saying absolutely inane crap that's extremely creepy and he doesn't respond to a single person who calls him out on it - nor does he really improve his posting habits as a result.  If people want examples when I state points, then I've provided them here with no intent to personally insult these people, and I'd like to give a shout out to Turner for actually taking time to challenge me on my viewpoints when I brought something up, because I wish people were more open to doing things like that and having things like that done to them.

It's been a problem, and arguably it's been an issue for the entire time I've been here but I've always been too young and immature and most importantly not confident enough to criticize it (or criticize it properly) until now, when I still don't think I'm too great at it.

Now, re: that user in particular, whether or not he's a hyperactive kid doesn't mean there is no room for improvement, but I only called his name out because I reported him for minor infractions more than a few times.  Basic things like double posting and three word rule.  Some people posting in Say Hello have not been any different - it's been only newbies not following the rules, which are the kind of people that are most likely to break them anyway.  Which is kinda why I found this announcement unnecessary, but I guess it was a springboard for some kind of talk about the actual issues on the forum - which basically boils down to "we only have like 15 active users and basically most of them are incompatible with one another."

Now, I'm neither a nice guy nor am I someone trolling someone off a forum unless they're a cancer.  As far as I know, as inane as someone like Captain Jigglypuff gets, he's not really a cancer cause the worst is gets is me saying that he makes me extremely uncomfortable because the stuff he posts is off-kilter and borderline disturbing.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 17:56 by Lord Raven »
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline The name master

• The name rater's rival!
  • Joeno Fan
  • I rate your nicknames (unofficially)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 18:14 »
Can we start talking about rules again? Stop talking about me (unless it's nice things!)  I have certain disorders that makes it hard to interact with other people (Lord Raven knows this better than anyone!)

I have recently tried to interact with other people, but it ends up backfiring in my face like Rayquaza's hyper beam.
Thanks to Inferna for one of the many reasons why I love Dragonite!

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 18:50 »
Can we start talking about rules again? Stop talking about me (unless it's nice things!)  I have certain disorders that makes it hard to interact with other people (Lord Raven knows this better than anyone!)

I have recently tried to interact with other people, but it ends up backfiring in my face like Rayquaza's hyper beam.

Just follow the rules and you'll be fine. Read them before you post something, and if you get your post deleted or thread locked for breaking them then just look up or ask someone where you broke them and they'll be happy to let you know.

This forum has a long history of people with varying issues, whether it's ADD, ADHD, AS, Bi-Polar, anxiety, depression etc. or all of the above. Many moderators and ex-moderators have had issues like this and it never caused them to break the rules, in the heyday of the forum I'd say way over 50% of active members had some kind of personality disorder or were just outright too young/hyperactive to know better and everything worked out fine.

Just don't worry about it. You're not the first person to have trouble following the rules (Let's face it, they're stricter than most other forums) and unless the forum crawls to a standstill you probably won't be the last either.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 19:11 »
Can we start talking about rules again? Stop talking about me (unless it's nice things!)
Someone asked for examples so I brought it up.

Don't expect a hugbox from me.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2015, 19:16 »
Basically what Turner said.

I don't think anyone would quite honestly.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2015, 19:26 »
But to compare you and him, I highly doubt you tried to be all ~*badass*~ and say that you had an insult in store for me that was so bad that he'd get reported and banned instantly.

?

im not sure what you mean here exactly

if you're talking about people being Scared Off it usually is a "they keep getting yelled at and dont understand actually why, and they eventually leave cos to them everyone keeps yelling at them for no reason" and im worried The Name Master is gonna go this way cos on a forum like this it's a big activity killer.

Furthermore, you were also pretty good about responding to people in threads and you rarely started threads yourself unless you were gonna properly follow up on people who responded.  And truth be told, the issue I have with him isn't too different from the main issue I've felt this forum has always had but it's exacerbated as of late.  People (and it's not just him) on this forum don't seem to be interested in some sort of discussion in general and are more interested in these status update threads which is literally all that's keeping this place afloat.

puk currently has no real USP or mission statement atm except for the Name Rater Hater (according to the amount of newbies who are like 'why the backlog???? i signed up cos of the name rater but.....') so really the Banter Topics are kind of the natural way and p much the only thing keepin this place afloat. if anyone wants to start up a New Topic for Increased Activity/Variety they're more than welcome, surely?

When any attempt at discussion is started (see the stupid questions thread) it's either not followed up on or someone just declares it off-topic (when it's clearly not) and ignores it.  See the Paris Attacks thread, where the only person willing to even follow up on things was Turner and somehow our debate was...  a vicious argument that needed to stop?  No personal insults were made at any point, aside from stuff that was directed towards me (which was irritating either way when someone has and states a preconception of the crap you're about to say).

uh......ok if you're talkin bout the france thread and why i was so "agghghghhuhgh" then that seems weird to bring up but if you want me to be blunt + honest its cos a multipage "is it islams fault or not" discussion was starting up in a topic meant to be for, like, honouring the people who just died. it felt like it was in poor taste and probably shoulda been taken elsewhere, i.e. the debate forum? idk about the religious denomination of the forum here but how do you think actual muslims woulda taken the Discussion going on in that topic?

also yes i too am guilty of this in my time but multi-page arguments between two users are kind of a topic-killer and are extremely boring for those except the two involved. on various forums i was on if that sort of thing started happening everyone would just groan and stop posting and the modship would usually knock their heads together like coconuts and go "cut it out you two or take it to the debate forum" cos things would inevitably get out of hand if left long enough. idk maybe its Different Forum Ways but thats usually when the "take it to PMs you two" is meant to come in.

And somehow Captain Jigglypuff can get away with saying absolutely inane crap that's extremely creepy and he doesn't respond to a single person who calls him out on it - nor does he really improve his posting habits as a result.  If people want examples when I state points, then I've provided them here with no intent to personally insult these people, and I'd like to give a shout out to Turner for actually taking time to challenge me on my viewpoints when I brought something up, because I wish people were more open to doing things like that and having things like that done to them.

so what you're saying is that you want people to be Honest and Frank with each other? or that you want them to be more honest with you? im havin a bit of a r****d time here

It's been a problem, and arguably it's been an issue for the entire time I've been here but I've always been too young and immature and most importantly not confident enough to criticize it (or criticize it properly) until now, when I still don't think I'm too great at it.

having Opinions on forums stuff anywhere on the internet is always risky ground tbh universally. there's no worry in feeling vaguely Awkward about it 

Now, I'm neither a nice guy nor am I someone trolling someone off a forum unless they're a cancer.  As far as I know, as inane as someone like Captain Jigglypuff gets, he's not really a cancer cause the worst is gets is me saying that he makes me extremely uncomfortable because the stuff he posts is off-kilter and borderline disturbing.

honestly im not trying to appear cool here but captain jigglypuff's hate crusade is p tame and easily ignorable?????? just put him on your ignore list, apart from the natalie portman snuff fantasies the dude is kind of harmless and keeps to himself for the most part and if he eventually tries to make a hit on the lady (lmfao) then it wont be cos of this place.

this is a fake edit cos it came up when i was typing but uh even for me you're being a little Personally Nasty to the dude rn imo

ADD, ADHD, AS, Bi-Polar, anxiety, depression etc.

psst outdated terms, its ASD now, AS dont exist anymore as of DSM-V due to Reclassification
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 19:30 by LOOK AROUND YOG. »
           

Offline The Shrub Dragon

• so this one time i put milk in the kettle
  • Joeno Fan
  • uh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2015, 19:46 »
tl;dr we are all sinners.  some people are more sinner than others.  are people born sinners or do they have sin thrust upon them?  who knows?  certainly not me, but the residents of pee kay emm enn dot net are all sinners and must learn to put up with one another's sin in a civil and learn virtue through the process of other sinners telling them not to be sinful.  will it work? who knows? sinners.

thanks gl <3

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2015, 19:48 »
?

im not sure what you mean here exactly

if you're talking about people being Scared Off it usually is a "they keep getting yelled at and dont understand actually why, and they eventually leave cos to them everyone keeps yelling at them for no reason" and im worried The Name Master is gonna go this way cos on a forum like this it's a big activity killer.
Welp, as far as I know, I've talked to him and he doesn't get it, and Rex just posted something about it so time will tell if he understands it.

puk currently has no real USP or mission statement atm except for the Name Rater Hater (according to the amount of newbies who are like 'why the backlog???? i signed up cos of the name rater but.....') so really the Banter Topics are kind of the natural way and p much the only thing keepin this place afloat. if anyone wants to start up a New Topic for Increased Activity/Variety they're more than welcome, surely?
They tend to go nowhere, i've given up on a lot of things here, in some ways I'm really unnecessarily acting entitled here (when I'm just as unentitled as everyone else here) because I've tried and in all honesty I can't do anything but try to facilitate things as opposed to starting things up myself.  I am really not great at starting threads, I'm better at responding to things and I'm better at managing things, because I've tried and I didn't get replies (and in some cases I begged for feedback and criticism and got nothing, which ties into something you said later about people being more honest with me.)

uh......ok if you're talkin bout the france thread and why i was so "agghghghhuhgh" then that seems weird to bring up but if you want me to be blunt + honest its cos a multipage "is it islams fault or not" discussion was starting up in a topic meant to be for, like, honouring the people who just died. it felt like it was in poor taste and probably shoulda been taken elsewhere, i.e. the debate forum? idk about the religious denomination of the forum here but how do you think actual muslims woulda taken the Discussion going on in that topic?
I'm from an Islamic family, but I don't see why discussion on the probable causes of things is in poor taste but that's just me.  It was still fairly civil and in my opinion it's unproductive to "honor" things without really understanding why they happened in the first place.

It's not an easy thing to discuss in any way.

also yes i too am guilty of this in my time but multi-page arguments between two users are kind of a topic-killer and are extremely boring for those except the two involved. on various forums i was on if that sort of thing started happening everyone would just groan and stop posting and the modship would usually knock their heads together like coconuts and go "cut it out you two or take it to the debate forum" cos things would inevitably get out of hand if left long enough. idk maybe its Different Forum Ways but thats usually when the "take it to PMs you two" is meant to come in.
Well, I've never been on a forum that's said "take it to PMs" unless it was hostile or something, and as it stands that particular thread was not even hostile.  Maybe "Debates" can be changed to like "News and Discussion" so it can encompass stuff like this, or maybe we can get combine some forums together so stuff isn't as spaced out.

so what you're saying is that you want people to be Honest and Frank with each other? or that you want them to be more honest with you? im havin a bit of a r****d time here cos the alternative of what you're saying here is that People Should Challenge Each Other More and thats incredibly risky on The Internet
Yes to all, and I don't think it's that risky on here if people take things much more in stride.

I mean you're doing that to me now and I'm glad because right now it's helping me say what I'm trying to get at a bit better.

having Opinions on forums stuff anywhere on the internet is always risky ground tbh universally. there's no worry in feeling vaguely Awkward about it
I don't what you're saying at the end of this but having opinions is only really risky if the kind of person who you're talking to has more an interest in winning an argument than actually discussing a topic.  I don't think anyone here has the cigaro syndrome anymore.  (ok so side note i'm trying to make a system of a down reference there)

honestly im not trying to appear cool here but captain jigglypuff's hate crusade is p tame and easily ignorable?????? just put him on your ignore list, apart from the natalie portman snuff fantasies the dude is kind of harmless and keeps to himself for the most part and if he eventually tries to make a hit on the lady (lmfao) then it wont be cos of this place.
That is generally freaky but he has said some really stupid crap and clearly has more an interest in soap boxing than like actively participating on here.  Everyone else seems to at least participate especially when the thread calls for it.

this is a fake edit cos it came up when i was typing but uh even for me you're being a little Personally Nasty to the dude rn imo
So "don't talk about me (unless you're nice)" gives me the impression of the kind of guy who won't take much out of any sort of criticism even if it's told to him in a way like how Rex posted.  I don't think it's being personal at all, but in general I'm not gonna treat him any different than I treat just about everyone else.

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2015, 21:17 »
im wary of being a massive hypocrite re: my own posts and pagelong debates so im going to try to not be as comatose lachrymose as i usually am (my problem is poor Expression) but

I'm from an Islamic family, but I don't see why discussion on the probable causes of things is in poor taste but that's just me.  It was still fairly civil and in my opinion it's unproductive to "honor" things without really understanding why they happened in the first place.

It's not an easy thing to discuss in any way.

(disclaimer: im a religious mess and part wiccan/buddhist/agnostic pantheist but i also half believe in some incredibly dumb after life resurrection order which im writin some dumb sci fi anime type crap about so religiously idk what to declare lmao)

i think its more an Agree To Disagree here with how that went but i just personally thought it was the wrong place for that kind of thing. it was "a debate outside the debate forum" kind of thing if that helps clarify my standing on it any better? anyone who's brought up Reasons and Debates in the topics expressly meant for "wow this is a shame" is usually booed out as being a bit insensitive, ive found.

Yes to all, and I don't think it's that risky on here if people take things much more in stride.

I mean you're doing that to me now and I'm glad because right now it's helping me say what I'm trying to get at a bit better.

"people taking things in stride" is the hard step esp. when the place is sort of filled with depressed nerds who legitimately struggle with taking anything in stride due to various reasons. also when people do try to take things ironically and try to banter about it its seen/misinterpreted as Sincere and usually topics get closed for Fighting or Being Uncivil or w/e

I don't what you're saying at the end of this but having opinions is only really risky if the kind of person who you're talking to has more an interest in winning an argument than actually discussing a topic.  I don't think anyone here has the cigaro syndrome anymore.  (ok so side note i'm trying to make a system of a down reference there)

nah its nothing to do with that sort of thing and maybe im expressing myself badly here but its more Opinions About The Forum And How Its Run Itself being the risky thing

That is generally freaky but he has said some really stupid crap and clearly has more an interest in soap boxing than like actively participating on here.  Everyone else seems to at least participate especially when the thread calls for it.

these days i tend to see it as a thermodynamics thing re: is it enthalpically worth it to do anything about it and try to change that process??? or would it just be better to just leave them to it and it be a massive waste of ones time?

i mean re Forums Activity i still post here lmao so the odd outlier to Productive Forums Activity is inevitable lmao

tl;dr we are all sinners.  some people are more sinner than others.  are people born sinners or do they have sin thrust upon them?  who knows?  certainly not me, but the residents of pee kay emm enn dot net are all sinners and must learn to put up with one another's sin in a civil and learn virtue through the process of other sinners telling them not to be sinful.  will it work? who knows? sinners.

(above but spoken as a gravelly game intro voice)

(pukmun dot net appears on screen with cool logo)

//deldleldldldleld cool anime intro all Dramatical Murder style and we've all got cool Sinner outfits, except mine is a giant emoji turd. we all have posting Skills like big elaborate sailor moon attacks//

me all  "BAD POOOOOOOOOOOOOST.........SHAKING!!!!!" //big purple orb of terrible posts storms @ the enemy//

we had a shipping topic once n all so we might as well just stop resisting and turn puk into an anime at long last. i'll write the wiki
           

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2015, 21:23 »
If we really are turning PUK into an anime, i'd actually be on board with that.  And I will admit to the nerd part. Depressed? Not me.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2015, 21:35 »
^nerd was probably meant more casually anyways, just as a way to refer to us lot.

Tbh maybe we could expect one or two newer members to break rules ala double-posting / three-word rule. We don't need to be necessarily *harsh* on them, but instead just point them in the right direction. Of course when it's consistent rule-breaking, then it'll obviously be punishable. Just a good reminder to check the rules and if necessary, a more informal sort of warning...?

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2015, 21:39 »
That sounds decent imo. It gives them time to correct their own errors but it won't let them run amok.

Offline The Shrub Dragon

• so this one time i put milk in the kettle
  • Joeno Fan
  • uh
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2015, 01:08 »
we had a shipping topic once n all so we might as well just stop resisting and turn puk into an anime at long last. i'll write the wiki
If we really are turning PUK into an anime, i'd actually be on board with that.
*stands with a large board in front of number 10 downing street* PUK ANIME PUK ANIME PUK ANIME PUK ANI

in all seriousness, what about the kind of points system you sometimes see on forums thats like... 1 point for breaking the three word rule, dual posting that escalates etc and then u get to like 10 points for a 48 hour ban, 20 for a week long ban, 30 for a month, 40 a year and 50 lifetime (i think we'd shrink that down someone committing that many offences probably shouldn't be about past the 30 point idk)

i also remember back when i was Wee And Worse At Reading Comprehension (i literally had no idea abt the three word rule like?? three word rule??? i should be able to make posts with three words then??? but no it was four words) and the thing that really helped was when iceduck dropped me a wee correcting message and because he'd initiated and it was private and amicable i felt like i was able to go 'what does that actually mean???' and get some clarification.  i think there's something to be said for everyone kind of being split a little like good cop bad cop so like u have a few people being harsh and showing u how it's done and another few being welcoming and indulgent bc in my case that was really helpful for integrating me.

thanks gl <3

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2015, 01:12 »
Dude I joined this forum when I was 9 and broke the rules like it was my job. People called me annoying and one person legitimately told me to "crawl in a corner and die in the nicest way possible", it just wasn't under such a microscope like it is now. I don't even think anyone took action against people saying those things. I don't think we should be THAT mean (like it's legit been 10 years and I haven't forgotten the exact phrasing of what username Glenwing said), but I'm kind of with Muhed that we shouldn't be stepping on eggshells all the time.

Also... people make mistakes and I don't lose sleep at night over minor rule infringements. Also I scroll past topics I don't care about.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2015, 01:54 »
psst outdated terms, its ASD now, AS dont exist anymore as of DSM-V due to Reclassification

Well I've learned something here today. I bet the forums would have been a blast back in 2006 if the Autism spectrum was the trendy thing, people would have been bragging about being at a higher quotient than everyone else.

To be honest, this place practically romanticizes personality disorders so don't let yours hold you back, the name master.

I actually sort of agree or empathize with some of the things LOOK AROUND YOG and others have said regarding post quality and activity. It's only natural that as activity declines the remaining posters are familiar enough with each other that the rules go slightly out of the window and the tone becomes more conversational. All it takes is for a new member to come along and assume it's the norm and end up breaking the rules and not understand why.

They should definitely read and understand the rules but it's indicative of a bigger problem here that we're not going to solve by hammering the rules into people. I'd go as far as to say this site needs to radically change as a priority if we want to stop this happening. This wouldn't be as big of a deal if the site and community was bigger and stronger.