Author Topic: Rules  (Read 11023 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Rules
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2015, 04:34 »
its worth mentioning you can do the whole deal with multiple people on a twitter account as well, so yeah one single person doesn't need to run it

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2015, 18:53 »
If people need replays of smash battles or pokemon battles (on DS), I can send them out to the right people to get them up on the internet somehow. Also, I'm actually not bad with kirby, making me play as olimar/alph would be a real punishment.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2015, 22:15 »
im a bit iffy on the "showcase a post" cos "funy post" may cause a bit of awkwardness specially if its at the expense of a kind of vunerable user emotionally/socially due to how you can't undelete someone elses reblog once its done. idk im just bein hippy counsellor here a bit i guess and also given people brought up Past Beefs as a reason for why stuff has gone a bit stale its probably best to steer away from progenitors of that sort of thing??? idk i might be blowing it out of proportion but i think its just a bit Risky is all. just me 2 centimos   

Yeah I mean, we'd just have to trust whoever runs it not to be like that. I know there are people on the forum with the common sense who could manage it, poking fun at posts is a fun idea and has actually been done before here (Forum Burp). I'm sure whoever gets elected would be smart enough to dip their toe in the water and gradually build up to stuff like that.

ROM hacks specifically, or all emulation? Again, without emulation altogether I expect there to be very little Pokémon content.

I think whoever streams should observe Twitch's acceptable usage policy and not stream themselves breaking the law of their respective country, but as long as they're only streaming original game content there's no proper way of telling if a game is being emulated or ran through a capture card so it's pointless to think about or police.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2015, 16:57 »
Re: spriting and writing, I can't guarantee it but maybe I could try and dip my toes back in spriting. As for writing, I'm pretty fond of it, so I could potentially submit some short stories. I've seen plenty of interesting threads elsewhere that could merit posting here (e.g. word crawls, maybe even certain challenges that I could attempt, and post my progress in a thread?).

I have something of an idea for Music, sorta like the radio where you have a song of the week or something -- though we already have threads concerning current favourite songs and what you're listening to. Just something for thought.

Not gonna lie anything I say will probably fall flat after 2 weeks when college gets more intense, but I just thought I would brainstorm a couple of things.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2015, 18:58 »
I am thinking about restarting my Ruby Nuzlocke, or maybe even one with Colosseum if I can get comfortable with it. My writing style for some reason fell flat when I tried to make a story of it last time, so if someone else wants to write it and make less vanilla I can give you the details of what happened as long as they can make posts in a timely manner. If not i'll just post what happened, and ask for nicknames, moves and the like.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2016, 22:13 »
I know some people have shared other ideas above which is cool, but we'll stick to the basics first. Before we go slightly off base, it's probably a good idea to work out what our boundaries are.In other words, we summon Joeno and see what he'll let us do.

Joeno; Revival of the PKMN.NET twitter account, a PKMN.NET tumblr account and a PKMN.NET Twitch account.

Which of these would you be comfortable with community members here running and under what conditions? Let's assume in advance that whoever is elected to manage these are the ideal candidates, do you approve of these as ideas in principle and do you have any guidelines, rules or input that you would like to add beforehand?

My main question is about authentication. I'm guessing you will want to have the accounts created using an email address that you ultimately manage so you have overreaching control should things go awry. Twitch works basically on the same principle but you can dish out stream keys (Authentication strings) for other people to stream to the same channel. If you have any questions or scenarios you think might be problematic, we'll look into them and tell you what would happen (Say for example, if 1 person tried streaming while another person was already streaming).

Once we've got everything sorted then I guess we can start looking into electing the best possible candidates and putting plans into action.

Online Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "It's only love, what is everyone so scared of?"
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2016, 23:54 »
In terms of ruels, the vague 'stay with the spirit of the site' is the main thing - excessive swearing would be an obvious example, but beyond that we'd see where it goes. There's also the intentionally vague "don't bring the site in disrepute" - but that'd go against the goal of this project anyway - and "don't land us in legal trouble" - Twitter links to warez sites wouldn't do anyone any good.

Beyond that, selecting the right person should help, people can always check with me and we can always course correct down the line.

Twitter: I need to fix an error because it hasn't been touched for a while ("The Twitter REST API v1 is no longer active. Please migrate to API v1.1.") and we can allow simple posting automatically. Beyond that I don't know for sure what the access restrictions are that are available, but also what you'd want to do with it. It looks like I'd able to share Twitter account access without sharing access.

For setting up other accounts, I can always set up an email forwarder that people use to register through. They can set it up, but it'd be easy to move control of that address around as needed. It looks like group blogs are a thing on Tumblr though, so that'd be an option to explore.

It might be a good idea to soft launch the Tumblr blog - spend a few weeks posting without properly announcing it, both so I can set up any integration on my end and so you can work out what posts work/are easy to do and whether certain posts are appropriate.
Peter <3<3<3<3

Pong And Beyond - Playing through 1001 video games before we die...

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Offline Del

• yo
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2016, 00:55 »
Alright, well I'm happy to put my name forward to help organise, run and broadcast on a potential Twitch stream then. I'm fairly well accustomed to Twitch, so I think I'd be able to answer any questions people may have, if anyone has any.

Twitch works basically on the same principle but you can dish out stream keys (Authentication strings) for other people to stream to the same channel. If you have any questions or scenarios you think might be problematic, we'll look into them and tell you what would happen (Say for example, if 1 person tried streaming while another person was already streaming).
In this example, the second person to go live would become the current streamer, and the first would be taken offline. To work around this we'd have to either establish a set schedule, or streamers would make sure to check the channel before going live to ensure there wasn't a current stream they would be interrupting.
My mom bought me this new laptop and it gets really hot when the chat is being spammed. Now my leg is starting to hurt because it is getting so hot. Please, if you don't want me to get burned, then don't spam the chat.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2016, 22:46 »
A soft launch of tumblr definitely makes sense, so I think it'd be a good idea if we could get started on arranging people to manage it right away if we're going to leave it some time to gather steam. I'll create a separate thread for that now.

As for the twitter account, even if automatic posting isn't an option just yet, how about nominating someone to help soft launch that too? All we need them to do for now is to retweet Pokemon-related news or anything viral that happens to be Pokemon related (E.G Twitch plays Pokemon). I'd also recommend getting them to follow Ken Sugimori and some of the other Game Freak staff as they often tweet similar things; fanart they've drawn, Pokemon-related food they're eating and so on. You don't need to know any Japanese for it and if in doubt, don't retweet it - it'd only be to grow the account so that when it's official there's enough content to interest people.

Del (or anyone who wants to answer), with regards to Twitch - What would you say is a good average time for a stream to last? How long do you typically watch a stream for before it gets boring? I'm thinking in terms of time-slots here, we don't want people to be spending ages streaming if we end up with a lot of people volunteering themselves, but obviously an hour might not be long enough to be enjoyable either.

Offline Del

• yo
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2016, 23:20 »
it depends on the streamer and game really? i've sat and watched people stream for 10 hours before, and sometimes i'm bored after half an hour. whenever I stream, I tend to stream for somewhere between 1-5 hours i'd say? 1-2 hours would probably be enough for streams here at first at least, especially for newer streamers, and maybe work our way to to 3-4 if viewers are interested and streamers feel up to it. it's a little more tiring than you'd expect it to be, so i wouldn't expect anyone to jump straight into 3-4 hours.
My mom bought me this new laptop and it gets really hot when the chat is being spammed. Now my leg is starting to hurt because it is getting so hot. Please, if you don't want me to get burned, then don't spam the chat.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline sans the skeleton

• they/them pronouns please
  • Joeno Fan
  • super meme trash
    • View Profile
    • Subeta
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2016, 20:08 »
Also, regarding tumblr, you could theoretically have months worth of posts ready to post - a queue holds up to about 300 at a time, and you can set it to post once a day or up to 24 or so per day. it lets you schedule posts as well, which is helpful for important dates (eg christmas or a anniversary of a game release). The tumblr blog needs to be a secondary blog, though, to access additional features that wouldn't be accessible otherwise. So if Joeno wanted to have it on his account, he'd have to have a primary for himself first, and then one for Pkmn.net, to get to admin position.

However, the way tumblr works is that to get into the inbox and for some posts, the people chosen to run the blog also need admin. I don't think they can close the blog or kick admins out, but it's been a while since I've ran a secondary blog (my homestuck blog is a primary) so, uh. Yeah.

ive created a monster
official forum cryptid

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2016, 00:00 »
Also, regarding tumblr, you could theoretically have months worth of posts ready to post - a queue holds up to about 300 at a time, and you can set it to post once a day or up to 24 or so per day. it lets you schedule posts as well, which is helpful for important dates (eg christmas or a anniversary of a game release). The tumblr blog needs to be a secondary blog, though, to access additional features that wouldn't be accessible otherwise. So if Joeno wanted to have it on his account, he'd have to have a primary for himself first, and then one for Pkmn.net, to get to admin position.

However, the way tumblr works is that to get into the inbox and for some posts, the people chosen to run the blog also need admin. I don't think they can close the blog or kick admins out, but it's been a while since I've ran a secondary blog (my homestuck blog is a primary) so, uh. Yeah.

Yeah, it's actually ideal having it set up that way too as it means Joeno still maintains control over the primary and we don't have to throw around passwords too much and end up with a situation where someone tries to lock down the whole account.

Offline sans the skeleton

• they/them pronouns please
  • Joeno Fan
  • super meme trash
    • View Profile
    • Subeta
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2016, 00:30 »
Yeah, it's actually ideal having it set up that way too as it means Joeno still maintains control over the primary and we don't have to throw around passwords too much and end up with a situation where someone tries to lock down the whole account.
yup, that was the general idea i was getting at. as long as the primary's taken care of and isn't deleted, it should be even more secure. the problem arises if the primary gets taken out/hacked into or if anyone who is set as admin starts messing with the settings, i think. i'd have to look more into the settings before i can confirm if anyone set as admin cal delete the blog. i know admins can demote the mods at least, it's mostly just needed to answer messages in the askbox i think.

ive created a monster
official forum cryptid