Author Topic: Pidgeot Help  (Read 900 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Xagor

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
Pidgeot Help
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:29 »
Hey everyone, bit of an odd request here, but I was hoping someone here might be able to help.

Basically, someone I know's favourite Pokemon is Pidgeot, and I'd like to if possible get them a 'competitive' one. I know it's vastly outclassed by other things, so by that I pretty much just mean a 5V Pokemon with a good nature and decent moves.

I looked at the Smogon set for B/W, but I was wondering if the X/Y changes made any difference? (+10 Speed and Defog being useful.)

Anyone here got any thoughts? Thanks for any ideas / help. Don't worry about fitting it into a team or anything like that.
3DS Friend Code:1676 3937 3524
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
http://tcgshiyo.wordpress.com/

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
Re: Pidgeot Help
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:44 »
If they aim to use it in a standard friendly environment where it'll be facing all sorts of things from different tiers, here's what I recommend:

Pidgeot@ Leftovers / Life Orb
{Tangled Feet} (All abilities are pretty crap, though)
Jolly nature (+Speed, -Sp. Attack)
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Defense
Brave Bird
Return
U-Turn
Defog / Roost / Quick Attack

Pidgeot has very few options, even after all these years. Brave Bird is your best STAB, with Return being close behind and finishing off opponents without recoil. U-Turn is Pidgeot's best coverage move, as well as allowing it to escape to a teammate, which is especially useful if you go with Defog, as Pidgeot can act as the team's entry hazard remover with the ability to escape as a threat switches in.

The last slot provides a multitude of options depending on how you want to play Pidgeot. Defog is better in a competitive environment, as it gives Pidgeot a niche that it can actually fulfill on the team, rather than just being there. Roost can keep it alive longer and mitigate it's weaknesses, though vs. higher tiered Pokemon, Pidgeot can't stomach many powerful hits. Quick Attack allows Pidgeot a way to finish off faster opponents that hang on after a Brave Bird.

That would be my recommendation. Alternately, if you can get a good Pidgeot from 5th gen, Heat Wave can be put in the last slot to deal damage to Steel types, but it's honestly not that good unless you hit something that's 4x weak to it. For that, you may want Naive nature.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Xagor

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
Re: Pidgeot Help
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:53 »
Thanks for the help Richard!

I think that looks pretty much like what I was expecting.

I sort of doubt they'll ever really use it for competitive battles in any way, so it's really going to be more of a present / trophy for them to own. (Well their work does tournaments sometimes, but most of them don't take it too seriously)

I think I'll probably try and go with Defog and hope the breeding doesn't take too long. Fortunately I've got a 6V Fletchling to start things off. (Bit unfortunate that I can't go directly from that, since I need to fit Defog in, but it should save a bit of time at the start.)
3DS Friend Code:1676 3937 3524
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
http://tcgshiyo.wordpress.com/