Author Topic: Favorite Game. Ever.  (Read 4421 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline JSM

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Game. Ever.
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 16:03 »
Another Spyro: Year of the dragon fan here! Just finished a 100% playthrough of the game and it has reaffirmed my love for it <3

quack98

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 16:39 »
I've just realised I haven't been on a game in about a month :o been to busy in America, and then working on the show! But anyway, favourite game ever, hmmm... I think I'd go for LBP2, just because of the creativity involved!

Offline f3raligatr

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 16:54 »
I'm going to be quite.. radical here and say that my most favourite two games from my childhood are Pokémon Red and Final Fantasy VIII. My love for Final Fantasy VIII is well documented (or used to be rather when I posted more regularly) but I think I always maintained that my favourite Pokémon game growing up was one of the three Generation II games. I'll be honest and say that Pokémon Silver I still think as being brilliant, but being fair and trying to pull nostalgia away.. Pokémon Red I played and played to my heart's content.

Usually, I'm fortunate enough to get the two main games with one of the titles serving as my "Keeps!" game and the other was my reset game (restart, beat the E4, capture Mewtwo, trade, restart); Red was the reset, Blue was the Keeps. Even now, I kind of look back and wonder how I managed to replay Pokémon Red as many times as I did because I just.. seemed to play it constantly.. although now I find it quite hard to replay without a challenge in place (such as a time limit, etc) because I've just worn it out completely. I honestly don't think there was a Pokémon I hadn't used in Gen I.. I just played and played and played. Then Generation II came across and that got played just as much..

Final Fantasy VIII is just brilliant though, even though I'll openly admit VII is the better game. Actually, I'll not get my head bitten off anymore for my fanboyism towards VIII, screw it, I take that last bit back! :D

09-07-2013 & 12-08-2013
beyond the suffering you've known
i hope you find your way
may you never be broken again

Wolstenholme

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 02:55 »
Spyro: Year of the Dragon or Pokemon Gold... Or possibly F1 Race Stars (PS3) Usually the vintage ones win out but F1 Race Stars is added in there because even though it only came out last year, if you follow F1 avidly (like me) it is soooo much cooler... The amount of fun me and my brother have had on all these games however is positively unreal so it's impossible to say which I like the best.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 02:58 »
My favorite is Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 08:55 »
Final Fantasy VIII is just brilliant though, even though I'll openly admit VII is the better game. Actually, I'll not get my head bitten off anymore for my fanboyism towards VIII, screw it, I take that last bit back! :D
I'm so sad that it took me a few years to realize how brilliant FF8's plot is.  There needs to be a discussion about that, pronto!

On the bright side, FF7's brilliance does not come from its beautiful story telling and its amazing graphics (sarcasm, I'm sure its story is nice but it needs revamping- I don't understand why ff4 was remade a million times and given a sequel but FF7's only ever been on Steam and PSN, all I want is some 3DS remake lol.  They could've spent time on that instead of that bullcrap compilation but I digress).  Problem is that a lot of the hype for FF7 comes from the 90s where people first played it and thought it was the rebirth of christ himself, but in reality it's a game that has aged poorly over the years and FF8's aged incredibly well in comparison.  People are starting to realize that FF8's story telling is not blunt at all, and it hinges on extreme subtleties that may take a little while to absorb; FF7 has those, like most FF stories after 7, but the writing is very in-your-face and it's...  quite odd at points.

I'm replaying it but it's never been a game I could say is anywhere near the GOAT.  I think the love for it is either nostalgia (which is by far a great thing to be nostalgiac about) or a circle jerk of some sorts.  I can press that FFX, FFVIII, and FFXII and even FFXIII is better than FFVII these days in terms of story, and the gameplay in FFX/XIII/XII is far more tactics based than FFVII's (because I never got a game over in FFVII but asshats like Seymour Flux and Yunalesca gave me fits, and don't get me started on some of the bosses in FFXIII).  But it's GOAT because of its impact on localization of games to the west and its popularity in the 90s, not because it's really that good.

Only comparison I can make is an NFL one so I can't prove my point (read up on why Joe Namath is in the hall of fame, he did play as well as his contemporaries but he generally wasn't really that impressive) but I'm sure you understand it.  The same sort of people probably also praise the living daylights out of RBY/GSC but abhor the later Pokemon games.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 09:07 »
On the subject of FF7 (and very briefly I might add), I played it once like 7 years back and I could not get into it at all. It has not aged well at all and having not played it when it was released, I don't have the nostalgia goggles, so I found it to be uninteresting (didn't get too far in, I'm sure it gets better), and didn't care for the combat system at all. It put me off trying other FF's, though, which may be a sad thing.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 11:37 »
Continuing with the Final Fantasy discussion, I think I nominate Final Fantasy 10 as my favourite game.

The plot is really good, they do flesh out some of the characters a fair amount. Heck, even Kimahri got a bit of a backstory (Mt Gagazet when you have to solo Biran and Yenke). Tidus was a bit of a pleb in parts of the game, but his dad was used as a plot device quite well.

Characters wise, I think my favourite character was Auron, followed by Wakka. Auron was just a cool guy, but it was kinda sad when he *SPOILERS* was sent to the Farplanes accidentally when Jecht was beaten. Quite the tank in battles too.
Wakka ended up helping Tidus out a lot at the beginning of the game, and he supported Tidus a lot too. Other than that, he was a useful character in battle.

As for the villain, Seymour, he was cool. Evil but cool. The battles against him were such good fun, particularly Flux and Omnis. Some of the lines he was given were good too (eg. "Death awaits you!", but there were better ones in parts). He was actually a rival to Tidus for Yuna in a sense (which led to an awesome scene where Tidus and co. crashed Seymour's wedding.

Now, boss battles!
My favourite boss battle...oh dear I don't even know. There's Omega Weapon, Seymour Flux, Yunalesca, Seymour Omnis, Dark Bahamut, Dark Yojimbo, Dark Anima, that beast in the underwater lake in Baaj Temple, Penance...there's more I think...nope, that's all.

It was a great game, simply put.

Offline Clairefable

• worst jobby
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
    • abandon hope all ye who enter here
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 21:11 »
Just a drive-by comment to say that Final Fantasy 6 is the best Final Fantasy.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 21:41 »
yeah i'm not sure how anyone can disagree...  my friend picked it up after playing through chrono trigger, ff7/8/9, and etc and he fell in love with it before the floating continent

Offline Webby

• Don't come back up unless you're wearing a pussy moustache!
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 23:54 »
I feel lost everytime I attempt to play FF6. It's the only one in the series that has completely thrown me from the get-go, and it feels like I have no incentive to actually persevere with it..

I'm quite a lot further through FFVII now and I have to say that it's a lot better than I expected, considering how badly it has aged. That's probably because I played Crisis Core first so I was invested enough in the story to persevere with it. Though I still can't stand Cait Sith.

FFIX still beats out the rest for me though.

"i hope you get niall bursting out of a tower cake singing "happy birthday mr president" and he's wearing a "miss america 2013" sash while giving you a 3 hour lapdance"

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 14:00 »
Majora's Mask. It really is amazing.

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 12:07 »
(probably going to be replaced by Fallout 3 when I finally get around to playing it).

New Vegas was better than 3 I felt. Just in terms of characters, story and weapons.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline Freestyler

• !
  • Sentret Fan
  • insert personal text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 13:07 »
Crash Bandicoot 2 gets my pick :D

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 05:00 »
I feel lost everytime I attempt to play FF6. It's the only one in the series that has completely thrown me from the get-go, and it feels like I have no incentive to actually persevere with it..
I think if you restart it you'll be less confused...  that's how it works out with a bunch of games (from my POV at least).  Trust me, it's worth it and you get one of best rollercoasters of emotions you'll get in a video game.