Author Topic: So the forums have had less activity  (Read 14008 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
Re: So the forums have had less activity
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2012, 19:32 »
Maybe there could be a set limit on how many posts people need to have to access some features on the site? Yes I know this would probably encourage a lot of spam or w/e.
Speaking from experience, it attracts a lot of spam.  It's almost ridiculous.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline lugia95

• Joeno Fan
  • Credit to Chloe for the awesome avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2012, 20:33 »
Maybe we don't block of the site's features, but block off certain options on the forum profiles. For example, until you've reached a certain number of posts, you can't change the custom title, or you have to use one of the site's avatars instead of you're own. It could encourage people to post more like as already been suggested, but wouldn't stop new people coming in for things like the name rater.

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "It's only love, what is everyone so scared of?"
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2012, 22:39 »
Or it would discourage people from participating in the first place.

Taking things like this away from people doesn't feel right to me.
Peter <3<3<3<3

Pong And Beyond - Playing through 1001 video games before we die...

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2012, 02:57 »
Yeah, taking things away that are already established is sort of counter-intuitive, I'd think. Adding boons to post counts could be nice, but it could also create many needless posts as well. Still, I wouldn't be against it, but then the issue comes up of what to add, as well as the time it takes to add those features.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Kona

• Mad props to Mr. Dalliard for the avatar. The world's biggest
  • Joeno Fan
  • sir fredricko the seventytwelf of rainbow land
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2012, 22:39 »
Not posted here in ages, but I figure I should add my $0.02.

Personally, I haven't been visiting as much due to becoming bored of Pokemon, White took me several months to complete, and I haven't bothered with B/W2. Last Pokemon game I played through was Super Pokemon Rumble, and that was an impulse purchase. I doubt I'd have even finished it if it wasn't for two good school friends also buying it. To be fair, they also bought B/W 2, but that's two out of about a dozen of us who bought B/W.

I'd say it's people changing over time (I personally stopped bringing my ds to school to try and be more sociable, I kinda felt guilty getting sucked into a game whilst surrounded by lovely people), we've all changed over years, and that's how it links to this site. Loads of people that used to be here are still here, the diehards, so to say. I'd even bet that a bunch if those 30 or so haven't bought the latest game, and are here purely for the community, which is where this site's always stood out to me. It's still the same people I got to know 2-3 years ago, there's not been much change. People have left, and there's not really anyone new filling those gaps, as it's hard to feel accepted in an already established community. I'd know, I don't feel like I fit in elsewhere, the other places I've grown fond of have well established communities where everyone's close, and I've never felt comfortable to join them on mumble or in a tf2 team, mainly due to a large age gap, and not being too social.

I'd suggest getting new people in, but it would be difficult. Perhaps focusing on something else for a bit if the admins are growing tired of Pokemon? I know of the acid reflux, but it always seemed empty to me, but that was months back. Maybe turn the site into more of a general gaming site, but it'd go against the site's origins

<Ledyba>: and I replied quick as a flash
<Girl>: AHHHH!!!The voices.

Offline The Shrub Dragon

• so this one time i put milk in the kettle
  • Joeno Fan
  • uh
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2012, 14:52 »
If it's okay, I'm may add my opinion into this.

I haven't really posted on here in months - I'm largely inactive and seem to be posting about once a month at best and as has already been pointed out, it's because the community is thinning out.  People don't have the time or interest for forum posts and for people who've been using the website for a while, there's almost an obligation to post intelligently once in a while rather than to just chill out and enjoy themselves with some somewhat shorter, more relaxed posts (like, not everyone, but idk I guess quite a few might).  As the pressure that some people are putting on themselves increases whilst their interest and time thin out, it's sort of a perfect recipe for them to end up not posting altogether, leading to a ripple effect of topics becoming less interesting and more people becoming disengaged from topics.  I can't really suggest a plan of action for these, other than to - perhaps, as Kona said - veer the site towards gaming rather than Pokemon itself.

The problem I can see with that, though, is that we've already got somewhat of a reputation as a Pokemon site - the younger people who join the site do so largely for Pokemon rather than other gaming and it feels like if we centre the boards towards gaming, we're disengaging people who might want to join, but if we keep it the same, we're disengaging people who've already joined.

I think that the Acid Reflux seems like it's probably the best course of action - the boards here might be less active, but we'll at least have the same community on a different site that might engage them more than PUK does.

thanks gl <3