Author Topic: BUILDS: New devkit  (Read 3710 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "It's only love, what is everyone so scared of?"
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
BUILDS: New devkit
« on: January 10, 2010, 14:59 »
As part of our anniversary celebrations, here's the return of that old favourite: The theme devkit.

Using this zip file, you can create your own new builds for the site. Partial instructions are within, familiarity with CSS is useful.

The Devkit

This is the next bit of 10th birthday things we'll be doing. More will follow... later.

Oh, and a few new themes may already be on their way...
Peter <3<3<3<3

Pong And Beyond - Playing through 1001 video games before we die...

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Super Paper Arwing

Re: BUILDS: New devkit
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 15:01 »
wait,like building new designs for the site etc?awesome.
EDIT:Just checked it out and don't understand how to edit the Cascading file thingie.D:

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 15:11 »
Yes, they're more or less new designs for the site.
Peter <3<3<3<3

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 17:40 »
wait,like building new designs for the site etc?awesome.
EDIT:Just checked it out and don't understand how to edit the Cascading file thingie.D:

First save the kit and extract all the files to a new folder.

Open "style" in a word processor, and "page" from the folder above in IE or Firefox or whatever your browser is.

Each little section in the stylesheet is a bit of the page, and it's usually pretty easy to figure out what they are ("leftsidebar" etc). The main thing you'll want to do is change colours - these are all the little six-digit numbers you see after hashes. They're called hex codes. You can pick a new colour using a site like this one or a program such as Paint.net, copy its hex code, and replace it in the file.

For example, #FFFFFF is white. If I replace one of the #FFFFFF's with #000000, that bit of the page will turn black.

Once you've made a change, save the file and refresh the page in your browser to see what it looks like =]

Experiment, play around! Go crazy! :D you can change stuff like font weights and borders, too, if you're enjoying yourself.

You can change the images by just making new images with the same filename and replacing them in the folder.

Generally stick to just editing the "style" sheet, and leave Mantis and the forums alone unless you have a good knowledge of CSS.

Once you're finished, copy all the files you've changed back into the zipped folder and email it in to us at seniorstaff@pkmn.net =]

Have fun~ It's pretty easy to change colours and stuff once you've played around a bit. My knowledge of CSS is absolutely minimal, but I managed to make two new themes for you all which might be uploaded later.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 17:42 by Dragonpika »

wake up, kids
    we've got the dreamers disease

Offline blake.

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 04:17 »
just submitted one. based on the colours of the forum.

also, what happened to the v9 themes? were they not compatible?

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 06:20 »
They're not, no. Some CSS classes on the site were changed, including the new dropdowns, and the support for using them on the forums doesn't exist in the v9 builds at all.
Peter <3<3<3<3

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Super Paper Arwing

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 15:55 »

First save the kit and extract all the files to a new folder.

Open "style" in a word processor, and "page" from the folder above in IE or Firefox or whatever your browser is.

Each little section in the stylesheet is a bit of the page, and it's usually pretty easy to figure out what they are ("leftsidebar" etc). The main thing you'll want to do is change colours - these are all the little six-digit numbers you see after hashes. They're called hex codes. You can pick a new colour using a site like this one or a program such as Paint.net, copy its hex code, and replace it in the file.

For example, #FFFFFF is white. If I replace one of the #FFFFFF's with #000000, that bit of the page will turn black.

Once you've made a change, save the file and refresh the page in your browser to see what it looks like =]

Experiment, play around! Go crazy! :D you can change stuff like font weights and borders, too, if you're enjoying yourself.

You can change the images by just making new images with the same filename and replacing them in the folder.

Generally stick to just editing the "style" sheet, and leave Mantis and the forums alone unless you have a good knowledge of CSS.

Once you're finished, copy all the files you've changed back into the zipped folder and email it in to us at seniorstaff@pkmn.net =]

Have fun~ It's pretty easy to change colours and stuff once you've played around a bit. My knowledge of CSS is absolutely minimal, but I managed to make two new themes for you all which might be uploaded later.

I got the colours,but this gave me an idea of everything else.I'll do it a bit later.Thanks!

Offline blake.

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 03:54 »
a couple of custom themes are now up.

kay, your themes look awesome, especially the rayquaza one.

thinking about making another one.

Offline Gridbug

• Fan Fan
    • View Profile
    • yeah
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 22:27 »
Making one right now to kill time.

Any way to get rid of the white area that's around the forum posts? Because it's rather annoying. >>

Offline Pandemonium

• Power is means, not an end
  • Gym League Members
  • Sentret Fan
  • Sabrina~
    • View Profile
    • Project Haruhi-- We're not interested in ORDINARY cartoons.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 22:30 »
Making one right now to kill time.

Any way to get rid of the white area that's around the forum posts? Because it's rather annoying. >>
You haven't actually got any control over anything but the bar above with your name in, for the forum.

Also... There's no way to change the blue outline on the Roy's Toys ad, either. That's part of the image.