Author Topic: Issues I Have with King of the Hill  (Read 8290 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
Re: Issues I Have with King of the Hill
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 19:34 »
The whole introduction Hank gives is the BIGGEST example of his arrogance and self-importance. He called "getting to state the greatest of" his "life" and not the birth of his only child. He said this at least four times during the course of the show. That is wrong on SOOOO many levels. Football coming  before family? I mean Bobby could get hit by a bus and die and Hank would still call breaking hos ankle the worst day of his life! Even after nearly having Peggy die or seeing Buckley get killed isn't considered worse? Hank Hill sure has some messed up priorities.
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 19:34 »
you need to calm down

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 19:37 »
Just so I get a little bit of context, since I got no response from this point:

How old are you Captain Jigglypuff, which country are you from, and how many southerners and old people have you interacted with in your lifetime?  King of the Hill is a sort of satire of the "standard american/southern/patriotic lifestyle" in my eyes.  I lived in Bel Air, Maryland, which was at least 90-95% white people.  King of the hill is cringe worthy to watch at times because it reminds me of when we lived there, but it's also quite indicative of the kind of personalities you encounter in these kinds of places.

I haven't personally interacted with a lot of old people, but I know *many* sorts of grandparents from these sorts of families tend to act much more like Cotton (of course Cotton is the extreme) than, say, Abe Simpson.  If you're comparing it to the Simpsons, it's really a satire of a much different kind of family/town than the Simpsons tries to pull off.

In other words, the context may actually be lost upon you and you are heavily misunderstanding the show.  You can interpret Hank as having Aspergers with quite a bit less validity as Hank having the standard American upbringing.  Obviously I was making a little bit of a joke when I said that but the way you got offended really struck a chord with me.  But now I'm just annoyed not only by the fact that you think Aspergers folk are disabled to an extent that they cannot be functioning people like Hank Hill but by the fact that you're watching a show you obviously hate and aren't really understanding quite a bit of the context and satire it's going for.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 19:41 by Lord Raven »
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "It's only love, what is everyone so scared of?"
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
Peter <3<3<3<3

Pong And Beyond - Playing through 1001 video games before we die...

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Offline Sebastian Moran

• ᕦ(ಠ益ಠ)ᕤ Tries too hard
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Fan
  • the pride of roast britain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 19:38 »
and yet i never knew that King of the Hill was such an introspective program about the problematic corruption of human beings and their inability to understand each other while trying to cope with their own mental traumas or afflictions.

be humble,
for you are
made of earth.

be noble,
for you are
made of stars.

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 19:39 »
six am and already the boy aint right
           

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 19:44 »
The site I'd normally post like this got shut down, sylar. I just need an outlet.

But seriously, Hank has on several occasions let his friends get seriously hurt and refuse to help them until it became more serious. Best example was when Bill was lifting weights and hurt himself. Bill could clearly be heard screaming for help but Hank ignored it and let the steroids bodybuilders make things worse for hours before Hank stepped in finally. Bill kept screaming but it went ignored. No wonder Bill would rather be dead. Even his so called friends don't care enough to check on him when they hear him screaming. Bill also never got thanked in ANY way after saving the Hills.

The tables were turned.

Plz Click!

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 19:48 »
I think you have problems with selective reading.  I asked three very simple questions that may or may not impede in not only your enjoyment but understanding of the show.  I think, either way, you will not understand why Hank probably didn't look out for Bill or anything, because Bill's character is supposed to represent something, but whatever.  I'm really not going to take the time to argue if you can't answer simple questions.

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 19:49 »
captain jigglypuff what do you think of when cotton calls his newborn son Good Hank

The site I'd normally post like this got shut down, sylar. I just need an outlet.

whyd it get shut down??????????
           

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 20:08 »
I was typing when the three questions went up. I wasn't ignoring them. It was just bad timing. I am answering them now. I live in the Pittsburgh, Pa area and I have met many people the same age as Cotton. None of them were as horrible as Cotton was nor did they verbally and physically abuse everyone they came into contact with. Calling his youngest "Good Hank" should have awoken Hank to realize his own father never cared about him and he should stop trying to get Cotton's approval. Hank's messed up priorities of putting what's best for him and football just sickens me. I just find it very hypocritical of him to claim to put family and friends first but ignore them when they need him most and allows problems to become worse than before.

And I have no idea why the site was shut down.

The tables were turned.

Plz Click!

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 20:09 »
It's on Adult Swim every night.

The tables were turned.

Plz Click!

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 20:09 »
Boomhauer's cool, I guess.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 20:31 »
I was typing when the three questions went up. I wasn't ignoring them. It was just bad timing. I am answering them now. I live in the Pittsburgh, Pa area and I have met many people the same age as Cotton. None of them were as horrible as Cotton was nor did they verbally and physically abuse everyone they came into contact with. Calling his youngest "Good Hank" should have awoken Hank to realize his own father never cared about him and he should stop trying to get Cotton's approval. Hank's messed up priorities of putting what's best for him and football just sickens me. I just find it very hypocritical of him to claim to put family and friends first but ignore them when they need him most and allows problems to become worse than before.

And I have no idea why the site was shut down.

First of all, ha ha ha how bout them playoffs Steelers fans

Second off, yeah, Pittsburgh isn't quite like the south can be.  Of course you're not going to understand it then, you haven't been influenced to the specific type of old guy Cotton is.  War vet, was around during the civil rights movement and may have opposed it, probably has quite a bit of bigotry, etc.  Earlier in life he probably wasn't as crazy as he is today, and as time wore on his war injuries took a toll on his health and frankly, a 70-80 year old war veteran will most likely feel super entitled and not give any sort of crap about how immoral he is or what his son thinks of him or anything.  I don't think they view it as abuse (well Peggy may but Peggy also has her issues with narcissism) so much as "can't teach an old dog new tricks" and just general senility resulting from old age.  I know many people who, when they watch the show, the whole Cotton thing kinda hits close to home.  Where they're just prejudiced and won't change, and the family's just waiting for them to keel over instead of doing something about it because that's actually more practical considering it's been tried before.

You being from Pittsburgh makes it more curious why you don't at least sympathize with the football aspect of it.  You may not approve of it but Pittsburgh fans are very die hard because their team has been historically pretty amazing since the 70s, so while yeah it seems stupid to you it's a very cultural thing everywhere especially when you have a team like the Cowboys or Steelers which have had dynasties in the Super Bowl era.

Claire it's on Netflix lol
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 20:36 by Lord Raven »

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 00:59 »
I always thought King of the Hill was quite funny. Especially Dale and Boomhauer. I try not to read too much into this kind of stuff. I just want to be entertained.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 01:12 »
I think football is just a boring waste of time. All it is a stupid oval shaped ball falling a few yards away. It is too predictable and fans always act like the Steelers or ANY team for that matter are invincible just becayse they won a game or two but as soon as the team loses, the fans are like, "How did that happen?" and act as if the world is ending. Several people pay the players thousands of dollars on merchandise and yet don't give to charity. My local mall has the UGLIEST Rosenberger life sized bobble head for $6000. I am not k8dding. It makes me sick someone would waste THAT money on something so hideous but not to find a cure for cancer or AIDS.

The tables were turned.

Plz Click!