Author Topic: The Nintendo 2DS  (Read 3453 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
The Nintendo 2DS
« on: August 29, 2013, 15:11 »
The Nintendo 2DS has been announced. Yes you heard that correctly.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/53839/nintendo-2ds-hands-on-impressions-release-date-price/

The 2DS is a budget version of the 3DS, with an unfold-able design, no 3D toggle and a single Mono speaker. It is aimed at budget buyers and children but otherwise retains all the functionality of the 3DS.

It is wedge shaped, the top half as thick as a folded 3DS and the bottom half as thin as an unfolded 3DS. It is as wide as an unfolded 3DS, it may fit into large pockets but will mainly be more suitable to bags.

It will be released on the 12th of October 2013 (Same day as Pokemon X/Y's release) and has an RRP of $129.99 in North America and £109.99 in the UK

quack98

Re: The Nintendo 2DS
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 15:59 »
I don't think this launch will go very well, myself. A quick search on amazon, and you can get a 3DS for £134.99, so I can't imagine a lot of people will not spend the extra £25 to get an unfoldable screen and 3D. That's just what I think, of course, but I'm sure most people would like to have the familiar folding mechanism and 3D to £25.

Anyway, onto the actual console, I think it looks hideous. It's like someone at Ninteno decided to split the iPads screen and add buttons...

Offline Stmacl

• A force so evil that it wears a suit!!
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • So what are you gonna do... DEWOTT?!
    • View Profile
    • My blog the woes of a pokemon nerd
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 16:25 »
I can kind of see where they're going with it. Since it has somewhat of the appearance of a tablet and younger children seem to like tablets for playing games for whatever reason. But what I can't get it why they felt the need to remove the 3D function! Sure it's cheaper to make, but when you make such an innovation such as 3D, and market everything with that innovation, it seems to be an illogical step BACKWARDS!

Also... how do you streetpass with that thing?

No-one cared when I made a Nuke launcher, but no-one really agreed with my nuke machine gun...

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 16:28 »
I don't think this launch will go very well, myself. A quick search on amazon, and you can get a 3DS for £134.99, so I can't imagine a lot of people will not spend the extra £25 to get an unfoldable screen and 3D. That's just what I think, of course, but I'm sure most people would like to have the familiar folding mechanism and 3D to £25.

Anyway, onto the actual console, I think it looks hideous. It's like someone at Ninteno decided to split the iPads screen and add buttons...
Game have it listed for £109.99. And it's actually 1 screen divided into two hence why you cannot fold it (Cost cutting measures, etc.)

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"

quack98

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 16:29 »
Game have it listed for £109.99. And it's actually 1 screen divided into two hence why you cannot fold it (Cost cutting measures, etc.)

I was saying that the 3ds can be bought for £134.99, which is £25 more than £109.99, the cost of this  ;)

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 16:36 »
I was saying that the 3ds can be bought for £134.99, which is £25 more than £109.99, the cost of this  ;)
Right, but it'll still appeal to either kids who don't have a lot of money or can't view the 3D effect because they're under 7 or whatever, or those who can't grasp the fact the 3D has an OFF slider. ;)

And think about used. You can probably get a 3DS 2nd hand for about £100 but give it time, and the 2DS could be as cheap as £70-80 in no time. ;)

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"

Offline NTN

• 2010: Role Playing at its finest.
  • Mulholland Fan
  • My precious... >:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 19:00 »
What? Your DSi is evolving! (Now we went over this, don't press the B-Button, Nintendo...)

...And the 2DS was born.
I am your master.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 19:37 »
I personally love how it looks! According to the article linked by Turner, it's not a step backwards, but it's retro-style. I don't hate it, it looks like good fun and an interesting concept.

Well, should it drop to £85-90 by Christmas, I'm having it, particularly a blue one.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 19:48 by Spriter SR|XL »

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 22:13 »
I may wish for one for my birthday in about 6 months. It looks pretty cool.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Specstile

• The Hoenn and Grass type fanatic!
  • Poképprentice Runner-up
  • Sentret Fan
  • Come At Me Bro
    • View Profile
    • FaceBook, only addy if i know you D:
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 22:15 »
Looks tragic but i guess with the release of x and y it will have boosted sales. If they can expand the battery life then it would be an interesting investment especially with the extra space. Doubt it though if they are keeping it a a low price

Y FC:0344-9270-9498

Offline lugia95

• Joeno Fan
  • Credit to Chloe for the awesome avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 22:18 »
What some people on the internet seem to be forgetting is that this is a console that is being launched simultaneously with a new Pokemon game. And I can't even count how many people have said to me "I really want the new Pokemon games, but I don't have a 3DS". This thing is going to sell pretty well, in my opinion.

Sniped, making this post pretty much irrelevant. Great.

quack98

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 22:21 »
The thing is, the "I don't want a 3DS" argument is usually to do with the idea of buying a new console, which is essentially the same as the one you've got with improved performance. But if you're going to get a new console anyway, why not get the better one? I think this will sell mainly to a younger audience, because e they'll see it as "New=better" and also this ties in with the release of a Pokémon game, which will greatly boost interest for a younger audience (as well as an older, but the older audience tends to not be drawn in by the advertising of it being new so much  ;))

Offline lugia95

• Joeno Fan
  • Credit to Chloe for the awesome avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 22:23 »
Oh yeah, Dick. This thing is definitely aimed at a younger audience. (The fact that kids can play it without their parents worrying about their heads exploding is a huge plus.)

Offline Caldoran

• Act as Rum
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • Ameba Gone Zingy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 03:36 »
The unproportional screens and unmatched colour schemes (except for the black one) of the entire 3DS family already look hideous to me, but this takes it to a new level.
The above statements are masterfully crafted fabrications.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 05:36 »
Okay, I have one major problem with this. Look at the circle pad and button placement. How ridiculously uncomfortable does that look? Especially for games that require use of buttons and touch screen, there's no real way to hold it comfortably. Beyond that, it looks hideous. Not being able to close it doesn't make me giggle and think retro. It makes me realize that my screens are going to get incredibly dusty and worn out quicker and I can't put it in my pocket.

Anyway, this is a stupid, bad idea in my opinion. I cannot see this going well for Nintendo, and I wish they weren't wasting time and resources on this. I haven't seen many positive responses to this, and I can't imagine it'll be a huge success.
Discord - richardblaziken