Author Topic: first world problems  (Read 381053 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
Re: first world problems
« Reply #870 on: October 17, 2015, 19:03 »
My throat hurts, i'm coughing and I don't know why.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 17, 2015, 23:04 »
SNHU DOTA lost our first game </3

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 18, 2015, 00:15 »
 Went out with the guys tonight and it was pretty crap. After our first round we went off to a dive bar and everyone complained about prices and I bought a flat bottle of Bud.

Then, on the way back to where we started, we bumped into a girl that I casually date and she was out of her skull so she came with us and she was in an awful state so in the end, everyone went home because they wanted to leave me and her together since they thought it was really funny that I have a "girlfriend".

Once everyone left, I walked her to where the taxis come and she said goodbye and stuff so I turned the corner and sat on the bench so I would be able to see the taxi drive past (because I was actually worried) and after about a minute I walked around to make sure she hadn't died or anything and she was walking home. I even rang her to see if she would be safe or if she wanted company but she said she's fine.

Like... damn, I'm actually worried about her since she was in heels too but she was adamant that she didn't need company and I would end up slapping someone if I was in her position so I stopped asking.

Such worry.

Offline BS

• BlackStatic
  • Iceduck Fan
  • They/Them or He/His
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #873 on: October 18, 2015, 02:40 »
had a massive whining/yelling match with my mother and my way of dealing was to buy vodka. instead of actually going and fixing the situation like a normal person. yep.

Offline not chloe

• Mulholland Fan
  • never more than 3 hours away from public meltdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 18, 2015, 14:30 »
Really want a job to help my Mum out with money trouble (because heck if ANYONE can afford to find two children in University - who get 0 financial help from faculties - a small family business and two mortgages I haven't met them) but nowhere will give me a job????

I applied for a very basic part-time retail job in H&M but my application was declined because I have insufficient experience. Well heck, how am I supposed to get experience if no one will give me a job because I have no experience???

Apparently two weeks work experience in the library just doesn't count for anything these days.
Credit to Inferna for the teacup Chatot
surPrISE

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 18, 2015, 16:52 »
Library experience =/= retail experience and being a student means you won't be as flexible as other possible candidates (flexibility is a massive thing for  some companies, even for the lowest hours part time jobs). Getting hired with any job these days can be tough so it's just something you've got to keep grinding on with.

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 19, 2015, 01:14 »
^ legit. my advice is do as many online applications as possible (so google will just input your info into the fields) and try to make a decent resume and attach it. and then write down all of the places you applied to and in a week or two call all of them, just ask for a manager, and when the manager picks up say who you are, and tell them to check out your application. call them on a weekly basis until they get you to stop bothering them by a. hiring you, or b. telling you to screw off. try to actually go into locations where you really want the job and ask an employee if you can speak to a manager and talk to the manager in person, that usually puts you ahead.

if you want a job STAT apply to restaurants, the turnover is usually pretty crazy and use the experience at the restaurants to try to get into whatever area you'd like better. your application can get lost in a pile so make sure you're on the forefront of their minds when they look through them

edit: bonus advice: if they tell you they're not accepting applications that's code for "call back in 2 weeks"
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:17 by Kpyna »

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 19, 2015, 04:04 »
theres always online gambling
           

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 19, 2015, 04:20 »
My voice is hoarse and it's driving me nuts.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #879 on: October 19, 2015, 09:04 »
I applied for I don't know how many jobs over two years after leaving school and then ended up getting a job at my local Morrisons, still there almost a year later. I didn't have any ~retail ~ experience so I started volunteering in a charity shop, I was only there for a few months once a week but it was enough that I could bs about having some experience!
Some tips I learned in the time:
- try and get a small voluntary job in a charity shop, they're always looking for people! If you're friendly and keen then it won't matter about the skills, you can build them up.
- read the job description throughly. if you are allowed to send a cv and a cover letter always tie in your cover letter with what the job description is after, really sell yourself!
- You'll have plenty of stories about team work/time management/etc you can use from school or hobbies, you can tie most experiences in. When asked about team working 90% of the time I spoke about playing in my wind band.
- some companies love psychometric testing, I applied for Tesco and Asda quite a few times but never got past the first stage, even though I thought I was putting the customer first.
- but yeah like Alex said be really flexible about what hours you can do and try widen your search as much as you can. If you're in a city with a uni though it shouldn't be too much of a problem to find jobs.
- The hoops you have to jump through for a retail job especially are unreal, it can be pretty discouraging after putting in lots of effort and getting knocked back, you will find something eventually!

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #880 on: October 19, 2015, 11:16 »
I was told I was overqualified for retail, even though I'd just picked up my GCSEs.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 19, 2015, 15:57 »
i sprayed a wasp to death but the wasp killer spray got in my tea so. that tastes fine.

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline The Shrub Dragon

• so this one time i put milk in the kettle
  • Joeno Fan
  • uh
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 19, 2015, 20:00 »
i got cross and then mum put the tv on and i know it's actually on quite quietly but there are too many different noises and its smothering and she'll get upset if i ask her to turn it off

thanks gl <3

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 19, 2015, 20:30 »
 I've applied to volunteer for a psychology demonstration thing and although I would love to do it, I get hella giddy once I'm having fun and I'll end up riding someone's pug into oncoming traffic or something like a warhorse.

Also a lecturer had a Tumblr rant about how "old white guys" shouldn't be included in psychology or something. Tbh, these people should take their horrible, toxic, heterophobic, and racist attitudes out of the classrooms and let it fester on Tumblr where everyone can circlejerk in the degeneracy that they've made.

lol

Offline not chloe

• Mulholland Fan
  • never more than 3 hours away from public meltdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 19, 2015, 21:41 »
I was told I was overqualified for retail, even though I'd just picked up my GCSEs.

H&M say they aren't looking for qualifications but experience.

Guess if I go for a restaurant or cafe job I'd be in with a chance because I have a GCSE in Catering
Credit to Inferna for the teacup Chatot
surPrISE