Author Topic: Can I clone this way?  (Read 1151 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Petzbreeder

• Also known as Brally
  • Joeno Fan
  • I play my games in French sometimes.
    • View Profile
Can I clone this way?
« on: June 08, 2014, 21:56 »
Lets just say I had both a physical copy and digital copy of Pokemon X.

Could I trade a Pokemon from my physical copy to my digital copy then back up my digital copy before trading back, so once I've traded, I can restore my backed up saved game and transfer it again?

Some people say that you can't restore the game to a previous point, other people say it corrupted their save file when they tried it but I also read that people have tried it and it works.

I'd like to know if this is possible.

Offline The Macintosh Ninja: SOH CAH TOA

• PUK's original ninja. So zetta slow!!
  • Sentret Fan
  • Look, I finally changed my avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Can I clone this way?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 23:34 »
Given that Nintendo designed the way game data is stored digitally, I'd say you'd need to be very careful with how you backup game data with the intent of copying. I don't think it's likely without a third-party program digging through the code for you.

This is all speculation though. In theory it should be possible.

Offline Petzbreeder

• Also known as Brally
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 21:33 »
I did a little research to see if there was anyone who had tried to clone the way I had mentioned in the first post, and it turns out you can't do it without backing up the NAND data on the 3DS itself as well as the SD card.

The NAND data is apparently stored on an SD card like thing on the bottom of the 3DS which requires soldering to get to which will void my warranty if I try it.

The only option I have now is to clone the same way as everyone else (the trade and turn off method) however, I've tried turning my 3ds off in mid-game by using the power button, but my 3DS doesn't always turn off at the exact moment that I press it.

Is it possible to shut the game off prematurely by taking the SD card out in mid-trade?
I've taken my SD card out of my 3DS while it has been turned on before and it makes a black screen message pop up as a result which turns off any game I'm playing at the time. I'm wondering if I can clone by doing it that way rather than turning it off.

I don't actually know the full details on how to clone via the trade and turn off method, could someone give me instructions on how to do it?

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 22:29 »
I'm pretty sure you need 2 3ds' in order to clone. That's all i've got.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Petzbreeder

• Also known as Brally
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 10:14 »
I do have 2, a 3DS and a 3DS XL.