Author Topic: Is there any point in buying a PS3?  (Read 1073 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Is there any point in buying a PS3?
« on: October 01, 2013, 12:53 »
I've not really been that big on home console gaming this gen, my wii is sitting gathering dust! I know the PS4 is coming out but I missed a lot of good games that came out that I always wanted to play because I never owned a PS3.
I owned a PS1 and PS2 so I'll probably be using the PSN to download old games like Spyro etc and a I'll probably buy a few new releases like Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and the Last of Us.
Also if I get one am I better buying one preowned? GAME has preowned ones for around £150.
so yeah tl;dr should I buy a ps3

Offline Del

• yo
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any point in buying a PS3?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 13:54 »
Apparently the PS4 doesn't have backwards compatibility with PS3 games, so any PS3 games you're interested in (The Last Of Us, for example) are pretty much exclusive to the PS3 console, until Sony inevitably announce PS3 games on the PSN in like 4 years or whatever, so if current-gen games are what you're mainly looking to get, definitely go for the PS3.

I'm not 100% on PS4's PS1/PS2 backwards compatibility (they're doing some sort of cloud-emulation deal for the PS4?), but it sounds like they'll be playable on the PS4, so if you're mainly looking at the older games it might be worth waiting for the PS4 and future-proofing yourself for next gen? The PS3 would be fine of course, but if you're gonna spend money to play older games I, personally, would go for the console that lets you get the newer games as well.

If you do go for the PS3 though, I don't think there would be any issue with grabbing a used one. Just, obviously, double check the HDD space. Nothing worse than getting a console for digital games and then running out of space almost straight away. Some absolutely solid games on the PS3 (Heavy Rain is one of my favourite games from this gen) so it's definitely worth picking one up if you've got the money for it.
My mom bought me this new laptop and it gets really hot when the chat is being spammed. Now my leg is starting to hurt because it is getting so hot. Please, if you don't want me to get burned, then don't spam the chat.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 20:05 »
I'd wait shortly after the PS4's release. The PS3 is bound to drop to a more bargain price by then for those who cannot afford PS4s but still want to give money to the Sony Cooperation. ;)

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 10:22 »
Used Xboxes are cheaper, but it depends on what appeals to you more in terms of the exclusives. For me, the Xbox had better exclusives (Fable III, Forza etc) so I got one of those over the PS3.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline MOP

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 01:43 »
I would get one for all the PS1 games available to download and a lot of classic PS2 games have HD versions. ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Ratchet and Clank.

As for PS3 titles then Little Big Planet 2, Wipeout HD, Ni No Kuni, Lemmings :) , Journey, Fat Princess, Valkyria Chronicles, Last of Us, Puppeteer, Tokyo Jungle, Resistance 3, Infamous and so on. Might love some, might hate some but they're worth a look.

Lots of games on PS3 and Xbox like Read Redemption, Outland and Dragon's Dogma which aren't on PC and if your PC can't do much (like my previous one which struggled to even load the menu for Portal) then a console is an easy way to play Deus Ex, Bioshock, Prince of Persia etc without spending much since consoles are cheap and the discs are really cheap second hand.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 14:25 by MOP »